Do you think Schoop will be traded?

weams

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which is more likely to develop?

Manny and his power and OBP of course. But Right Handed power is a huge market efficiency. And we get it from Shortstop. So we can have an OBP guy at corner (replace Nick) or at catcher (replace Matt) or at DH. Since we have the huge right handed power from our glod glove short stop. There are several ways to build an offense.

Guest rochester

I am not as high on Schoop as many on here so if it is for pitching, whether the main piece or other depends on quality of return, I would do it. Maybe it's me, but I don't get uptight about our offense re: acquisitions - if we don't improve our pitching and maintain our defense it's irrelevant. The only place I would like to see serious improvement on offense is getting someone who can GET ON BASE or at least take a pitch. That's the one redeeming factor of BRob that will be missed.

A strong arm is an asset at 2B as well. It's definitely not a waste. That being said, I could see Schoop being moved to 3B if the Orioles believe Ryan Flaherty is a long term solution at 2B. Hardy is not going to get a front line starter back in a trade at this point.

If it were up to me, the Orioles infield of the future would be Schoop at 3B, Machado at SS, and Flaherty at 2B. However, with Schoop likely being a year away and Hardy unable to get a frontline pitcher in return, the O's might as well keep Hardy at SS this year and make a qualifying offer after the year to get a pick when he leaves. Having said that, I think the Orioles would like to extend Hardy which would make Flaherty or Schoop become a non factor in the Orioles infield for the next 3-4 years.

I tend to agree with this, but I'm not big on extending JJ. However, with so little depth I can understand the thought process. Flaherty has yet to prove he can consistently hit breaking stuff and Schoop could be brought up if he doesn't. I do think he profiles at 3B if they move Manny to SS, but as Stotle has noted the question is does Schoop's bat profile at 3B.

In any case, it seems unwise to trade Schoop with such a thin system of IF prospects.

I think we will keep Schoop for now, so that we can see how he develops at AAA and whether Flaherty can hit better than he has in his first two seasons. Assuming that Hardy is extended and Flaherty begins to hit, then I think Schoop obviously becomes trade bait. But my guess is that Schoop turns out to be a significantly better hitter than Flaherty in a couple of years.

Interesting. For what/who? Any ideas?

No. I don't. It just make too much sense though if we re-sign Hardy. If we do sign a starter to anything more than a one year deal, I think Rodriguez would be our most valuable trade piece.

Archived