Roberts most hated ex oriole?

Spakman

Most hated O? Albert Bell and Earl Williams.

Roberts isn't even close. The O's didn't even make an offer. They were going in another direction. If as a fan you think Roberts is well past him prime and will not perform well then he did the O's a favor by taking that lack of ability to the Yankees.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say he is. The fact that he never gave us a chance to sign him. The words he said about yankees. No one in Ny cares about but we did. Only hope worst for him.

Nice sentiments. Really. Get over it. And by the way; where the heck is Massachuestts?

I really truly do not understand the fascination with this and why people, some of whom didn't want the man back in the first place, cannot let it go and get over themselves. Brian Roberts is not with the team anymore, it's crystal clear the Orioles did not want to bring him back, and there was no place let for him on the team anymore, and yet somehow Roberts is the bad guy. It's silly, petty, immature crap like this that really makes me loathe the fan base that I am a part of, and no it's not just one-dot trolls that have latched onto this story and refused to let it die.

Brian Roberts didn't punch a judge or get in trouble for substance problems, he didn't try to run people down with his car, or treat the media and everyone else like crap, or skip out to a Metallica concert when it was his turn to pitch the next day, or any of a number of things that would really justify "hating" someone. No, instead he stuck it out in Baltimore for years when he didn't have to, came back after darn near having his arm ripped in half, which conveniently gets forgotten by the "he stole money" crowd, and came back every single time from a series of injuries the last few years, some of his own doing but others not, smiled and did every press and community function for the team when there was absolutely nothing to smile about, and be the only true home grown positional talent that the Orioles have developed since Cal Ripken Jr. to make a large scale impact on the franchise in a generation.

People in this fan base need to get over the Yankee element, lose the woe-is-me mentality and inferiority complex, and look at the story for what it is, and simply get over themselves.

My goodness, some people are really sensitive around here. Like you'd actually WANT to sign Brian Roberts? Who cares if we didn't get a chance to sign him?
No no, don't you get it? Roberts should have just retired an Oriole instead of seeking opportunity elsewhere. And then to sign with a team that gives him a great shot at the playoffs in the swan song of his career? And the absolute gall to say nice things about that team! I mean, how could someone who grew up in North Carolina betray his hometown Orioles like this?!

It's silly, petty, immature crap like this that really makes me loathe the fan base that I am a part of, and no it's not just one-dot trolls that have latched onto this story and refused to let it die.

People in this fan base need to get over the Yankee element, lose the woe-is-me mentality and inferiority complex, and look at the story for what it is, and simply get over themselves.

Get a freaking clue about the facts guy. And stop making the hang out look bad with this crap. Ugh.

I don't think there are many OH posters, or others in the fan base, who are very worked up about this. It's a small group of people.

... It's silly, petty, immature crap like this that really makes me loathe the fan base that I am a part of, and no it's not just one-dot trolls that have latched onto this story and refused to let it die.

Those types of fans exist in every team's fan base, not just the O's.

... Brian Roberts didn't punch a judge or get in trouble for substance problems,

Roberts didn't "get in trouble", but he was linked to PEDs in the Mitchell Report and admitted to trying steroids "only once". My observation is that some players who have been tied to PEDs have confessed to only a minimum use -- damage control. However, whether you believe Roberts or not, that was a long time ago.

... No, instead he stuck it out in Baltimore for years when he didn't have to, came back after darn near having his arm ripped in half, which conveniently gets forgotten by the "he stole money" crowd, and came back every single time from a series of injuries the last few years, some of his own doing but others not, smiled and did every press and community function for the team when there was absolutely nothing to smile about, and be the only true home grown positional talent that the Orioles have developed since Cal Ripken Jr. to make a large scale impact on the franchise in a generation.

For which, according to B-R, Roberts was paid over $62M over the course of his career, including endorsements. I understand fans think the Orioles didn't get their money's worth, but no one forced the front office to give him those contracts. I think it's ridiculous to blame Roberts for his injuries and I'm not aware of any player walking away from a current contract and leaving money on the table.

As for Mussina, I think that blaming him for being a "traitor" is wrong. I think there were two incidents which contributed to his playing hardball with the Orioles after the 2000 season.

• Mussina's previous contract, for which he received harsh criticism from other players, including Braves player representative Tom Glavine, for giving the O's a "home town discount".
  • The BJ Surhoff trade press conference, at which BJ broke down in tears over leaving Baltimore. I think Mussina was probably more upset than Surhoff over the trade, possibly because of the situation with BJ's son who was getting unique treatment from Johns Hopkins (I think) which wouldn't be readily available.

Entering the 2000 season, Mussina made it clear that he wanted an extension with the Orioles but he wasn't going to give them another "home town discount" and he wouldn't negotiate during the season. Mussina felt like the O's had been low balling him during negotiations for an extension and he was outraged by the Surhoff trade. By the time the 2000 season had ended, the O's would have to have made a clearly superior offer to keep Mussina and they didn't do that. Mussina didn't want to go to New York, but the Yankees offer was the best on the table.

Albert Belle? He wasn't a very nice guy. However, it wasn't Albert's fault his hips deteriorated to the point he couldn't play.

You don't jump at the Yankees first offer. Its that simple.

How would you have any idea whether Roberts accepted the Yankees' "first offer"? For all we know, they might've offered him a minor-league deal first, and he said no. Don't presume to have first-hand knowledge of the negotiations-- you don't.

He could have waited to see if there were other offers . Its a long season, and somebody would have come calling with injuries and what not. Roberts is putting a spin on this that he had to take the Yankees offer or else.

Exactly how long would you have him wait to see if other offers come in? You seem to be implying that he should've waited until the season already started to see which teams got injuries. That's absurd. If a player can sign a contract during the offseason, and have the whole winter to prepare for his new team and move his family and everything else, why would he turn it down? Why would he want to sit around, potentially still unemployed, until spring training?

The ten million dollar man isn't desperate for money. It should be about pride at this point in his career.

Who says it's not about pride? Just because you and I hate the Yankees doesn't mean a player is showing a lack of pride by joining them. To a player, they're a team that gives them a decent chance to play in the postseason, which is what every player wants.

I just don't understand the hand-wringing over a guy -- who most Orioles fans didn't even want -- signing with perhaps the only team that was willing to give him a contract.

Archived