Roberts most hated ex oriole?

Spakman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This could have been a deliberate ploy by the Yankees to undermine the orioles in general. With all their money they can sign anbody they want.

What is this...I don't even...

Feel free to hope Brian Roberts doesn't play well in New York. I hope that he does play well (as long as it doesn't directly impact the Orioles), but I understand the sentiment. But to try and turn this into some kind of Yankees vendetta against the Orioles is nutty. Those damn Yankees, swooping in and signing a 37-year-old second baseman who has played less than 200 games in the last four years, and who finished last year with an OPS of .669! How DARE they!

The Yankees signed Brian Roberts because they have absolutely no one to play second base. They don't even have a Ryan Flaherty.

It should have been locked after the OP. Period. Not only has this topic been beaten to death, but it was then clarified/debunked by Roch's blog. Not to mention the basis of the OP was hating on a player, which is against board rules.

I know making mod suggestions is also against board rules, and I'll take some mod neg rep if need be. But someone has to speak out against pointless, hating-for-the-sake-of-hating threads whose entire premise was already discussed and proven patently wrong. There is a standard quality of OP that needs to be preserved here.

Very good post and spot on.

Was this OP serious?

Think about it from BRob's perspective. There is a 1 in 20,000 chance you're the starting second baseman of the 2014 Baltimore Orioles. Also, on the off chance if you're resigned, time for a bench or utility role. Bleh.

So let's start looking for other options. What other teams have interest? Maybe a crap team or two, and the Skankees. You're a late thirties player with maybe two decent seasons left... so you want your best chance at a ring. Who are you going to pick? Seems obvious, doesn't it?

And about what he said about his new team? Please see WHAT EVERY OTHER PLAYER JOINING A NEW TEAM SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME IN EVERY SPORT EVER has said. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

This thread is ridiculous and I'm glad so many others think so as well. I agree with most of the level headed posts on here. The only thing I'd like to add is that I hope Brian receives a warm welcome the first time he's back in Baltimore. I'm going to be extremely disappointed in O's fans if they boo the guy.

This thread is ridiculous and I'm glad so many others think so as well. I agree with most of the level headed posts on here. The only thing I'd like to add is that I hope Brian receives a warm welcome the first time he's back in Baltimore. I'm going to be extremely disappointed in O's fans if they boo the guy.

Watch out what you wish for.

After the 1999 season, the Cardinals traded 18 game winner Kent Bottenfield to the Angels for Jim Edmunds. Bottenfield developed a sore arm the next year and was out of baseball by the end of 2001. However, the Angels dealt him to the Phillies in mid-2000.

Bottenfield started a game in St. Louis and got a standing ovation from the crowd. He responded by pitching the only complete game shutout of his career!

Of course, most players get more incentive from a hostile reception than a friendly one. I saw Ryan Braun talking the other day how he is looking for negative receptions on the road for extra motivation.

Watch out what you wish for.

After the 1999 season, the Cardinals traded 18 game winner Kent Bottenfield to the Angels for Jim Edmunds. Bottenfield developed a sore arm the next year and was out of baseball by the end of 2001. However, the Angels dealt him to the Phillies in mid-2000.

Bottenfield started a game in St. Louis and got a standing ovation from the crowd. He responded by pitching the only complete game shutout of his career!

Of course, most players get more incentive from a hostile reception than a friendly one. I saw Ryan Braun talking the other day how he is looking for negative receptions on the road for extra motivation.

I will cheer my ass off for Roberts, both at Yankee Stadium, and at O.P.A.C.Y...... AFTER he strikes out, or hits into a double play. ;)

I will cheer my ass off for Roberts, both at Yankee Stadium, and at O.P.A.C.Y...... AFTER he strikes out, or hits into a double play. ;)

Macht nichts to me. I just think that booing players is rude and unbecoming, except in extreme situations. For example, while I personally wouldn't boo Ryan Braun, I wouldn't be too critical of fans who did, or of those who boo Jhonny Peralta.

I avoided this thing because the title annoys the crap out of me. If you hate BRob, you have a problem.

I avoided this thing because the title annoys the crap out of me. If you hate BRob, you have a problem.

I've enthusiastically embraced this thing because when I read some of the posts I hear eerie music and Rod Serling's voice.

…and broken cuckoo clocks.

Gregg, Baez, DeJean, Niedenfurer, Doug Jones, come to mind.....my head is starting to ache...I done thinking, but I'm confident there's more hated ex. O's.....These are much worse than Roberts, in fact I liked Roberts.

Also....I remember when we first brought up Arthur Lee Rhodes, & everytime he would start, I would race him.... after he delivered the first pitch, I would crack open a cold one. Then whatever got loaded first ( me, or the bases) would win the race. Arthur would always seem to load the bases in the first inning, so he won a lot of our races, however I would be loaded for the top of the second, and then innings 3-9 I don't remember

Archived