Look out for Kevin Gausman

wildcard

I just don't want him hanging a crap curve given the other tools that he has. I think the time that could be spent on the curve would be better served elsewhere this spring.

That makes sense. My thinking was along the lines of keeping a hitter off balance and constantly second guessing himself. I also understand not everyone is Yu Darvish and has a gazillion effective pitches in his repertoire. You're right though, a bad pitch is a bad pitch and could get hit regardless of the hitter expecting it or not

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin Gausman taking a major step forward is more important to our 2014 season than any of the free agents we keep debating about here. If you give me an effective Gausman and a healthy Machado, I think we're a solid playoff contender regardless of who we sign or don't sign.

I have been adament the Orioles need to add a starting pitcher and a good one.

However, this is not slight on Gausman. There is no free agent substitute for Kevin Gausman realizing his potential in 2014. That would put this team over the top.

We need another starter to hedge our bet on Kevin because that's too much to put on a young arm.

I have been adament the Orioles need to add a starting pitcher and a good one.

However, this is not slight on Gausman. There is no free agent substitute for Kevin Gausman realizing his potential in 2014. That would put this team over the top.

We need another starter to hedge our bet on Kevin because that's too much to put on a young arm.

This is where I'm at. Let's make the young guys force their way into the rotation rather than relying on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want the O's to get one of the top free agent starters left on the market, but at the same time I hope and expect Gausman to force his way into the rotation for good by midseason at the latest. When that happens, either Gonzalez or Norris could be very effective converted to late-inning relief.

The problem with adding the curve is now you have a substantially weaker pitch added to the repertoire. Is it worth the "different look" if it isn't a quality pitch?

That is one of the areas that killed Jake, he would get beat with his fourth best pitch.

I would much rather he work on his slider and commanding the fastball within the strike zone.

They can work on adding the curve back next spring.

I agree.

Gausman's curve and Slider were both underdeveloped in college. The slider occasionally flashed plus while the curve did not show adequate room for growth. Adding it now will just serve as a distraction. If Gausman can tighten up the slider, his three pitch combo will be more than enough. Eventually the curve could be a show me pitch, but it's not a necessary focal point right now.

Gausman was interviewed on WBAL Hot Stove last night. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Kevin so confidence in his slider. He believes he has it now. He gained his confidence in his slider from using it in relief late last year. He believes it is an effective pitch. If that is true he has a plus fastball, a plus change up and an effective slider. That, my friends, is the making for a good major league starter.

Another slight mention in the interview was that he had two breaking pitches in college. A slider and a curve. He said when one was not working for him he could go to the other breaking pitch. But the O's took his curve away from him. But that was a different pitching coach. Now here is Dave Wallace asking "What can I do to help you?". Maybe the curve will be brought back. That is just speculation on my part.

I liked the interview. I liked Kevin's confidence in his slider. This could be big for Kevin this year and big for the O's.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/video/v31295369/20140130-orioles-hot-stove-show-mlbtv

He talks about coming out of the BP at Fenway. No doubt that experience has left an impression in his mind and why shouldn't it. He struck out five out of six guys in one of the most formidable lineups around including Napoli with that slider, also Pedroia and Ortiz. Victorino, famously difficult to strike out, was the only one to make contact with an easy fly ball out.

Striking out those caliber of hitters in that atmosphere was a boon to his confidence going forward if he's still talking about it today.

What exactly was it about him that so attracted the O's attention (as well as that of some other teams)?

You need to ask someone that he has impressed. :D

I was unhappy with the deal at the time.

If I had to guess then he was a piece that could theoretically be useful for the playoff push last season and going forward.

Archived