Schmuck Gives a Dose of Financial Reality

TonySoprano

Although he identifies MASN as a "fantasy," he does not ask the uncomfortable question of why this is the case. Once again Dan recycles his talking point about developing from within.

The Orioles have made it clear that they will not in the foreseeable future attempt to compete with the large-market teams in the American League East on an economic level.

"The thing that I want to point out is that Baltimore is going to make a living ? the Orioles ? by bringing up their best players through their farm system, and our very best players are not going to come to our major league team through free agency,'' Duquette said. "They are going to come through our farm system, and we're going to utilize free agency to supplement our team."

If nothing else, give Duquette credit for being brutally honest. The long-held notion that all that Mid-Atlantic Sports Network revenue was going to kick in and put the Orioles in play for the top stars on the free-agent market was always just a fantasy.

"If people have the expectation that we're going to sign a lot of high-profile free agents and that's going to be the answer, that is not who the Orioles are about,'' Duquette said. "We're going to have a good, solid player development operation. That's going to be the core of our ballclub."

source - Peter Schmuck

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not trading Wieters this off-season was a mistake. If you wanna be like the Rays better trade the players you know you cant sign.

The Rays have the ability to develop replacements for the players they trade. You don't see the Rays trading someone and leaving a huge hole in the team.

Oh you mean like Price?

Teams will always give more for a pitcher in the last year of his contract. Rays will move him next off-season. Teams wont give you much for 1 year of Matt.

Well if we traded a premier player one would think we would good some pretty good players in return, who were close to majors if not there already.

Right, but they are unlikely to get a major's ready Catcher in the deal.

I have no desire to punch a hole in the team at a position like Catcher even if the return is fair.

I'm perfectly fine with the Orioles declining to hand out gigantic contracts to free agents entering their 30's. The O's don't need to give out Pujols and Fielder-type contracts to be competitive.

HOWEVER, if they're not willing to pay FA pitchers more than $10 million per year (i.e., if they're not willing to compete for middle-tier, somewhat expensive free agents, THAT is a huge problem, IMO. If the prices drop far enough to compensate for the loss of the pick, they should be all over guys like Jimenez and Santana. They should be totally willing to pay Burnett $14 million for one year.

If what DD is saying is that the O's won't compete for FA's who aren't bottom-rung, spare parts-type players, then that's completely unacceptable.

I'm perfectly fine with the Orioles declining to hand out gigantic contracts to free agents entering their 30's. The O's don't need to give out Pujols and Fielder-type contracts to be competitive.

HOWEVER, if they're not willing to pay FA pitchers more than $10 million per year (i.e., if they're not willing to compete for middle-tier, somewhat expensive free agents, THAT is a huge problem, IMO. If the prices drop far enough to compensate for the loss of the pick, they should be all over guys like Jimenez and Santana. They should be totally willing to pay Burnett $14 million for one year.

If what DD is saying is that the O's won't compete for FA's who aren't bottom-rung, spare parts-type players, then that's completely unacceptable.

Accept that as fans, most of us will grudgingly accept it.

Archived