Schmuck Gives a Dose of Financial Reality

TonySoprano

Right, but they are unlikely to get a major's ready Catcher in the deal.

I have no desire to punch a hole in the team at a position like Catcher even if the return is fair.

You trade Matt get what you can then sign Saltalamacchia 3 years 21m what he got from Miami.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You trade Matt get what you can then sign Saltalamacchia 3 years 21m what he got from Miami.

Pretty sure that's tampering.

Also,here we go again with the "Player X would have signed with the O's for what Team Y offered" nonsense.

Also, I think that was a terrible deal, Salty was coming off an outlier season, unless you think a Catcher can sustain a 372 BABIP?

We all know Peter Angelos started the now so-called "long-held notion," when in 2006 he said, "now that we have an RSN and we can move forward with it…that is going get us on a more even plane with Boston and New York, and that was the purpose. " In the same interview he also said

Now, I have heard some of them mention that this MASN development might really generate some real funds which would permit the Orioles to spend more money. That's a pretty strong acknowledgment that the key to all this, to get off the losing years and so on, is more money invested on the field. And obviously, with that becoming available, that's exactly what we're going to do. We're going to do that because we are hometown and we are sensitive to what the public is thinking. I know a lot of Baltimore fans, and, just personally, I want them to feel like I am responding to their wishes.
source - PressBox, Sept. 12, 2006

Pretty sure that's tampering.

Also,here we go again with the "Player X would have signed with the O's for what Team Y offered" nonsense.

Also, I think that was a terrible deal, Salty was coming off an outlier season, unless you think a Catcher can sustain a 372 BABIP?

No it's not. Start of the off-season you tell teams you wanna trade Matt. Then you call Salty agent hey we wanna sign your player first we gotta move Matt. I would hope Salty would rather play for the Orioles over Miami.

No it's not. Start of the off-season you tell teams you wanna trade Matt. Then you call Salty agent hey we wanna sign your player first we gotta move Matt. I would hope Salty would rather play for the Orioles over Miami.

You do know that Salty would be losing over 400K a season in Taxes if he signed the identical deal with the O's right?

We all know Peter Angelos started the now so-called "long-held notion," when in 2006 he said, "now that we have an RSN and we can move forward with it…that is going get us on a more even plane with Boston and New York, and that was the purpose. " In the same interview he also said

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

By the way great Find

Accept that as fans, most of us will grudgingly accept it.

I hope fans toe the line separating acknowledgment and acceptance, CoC. If this is really going to be standard operating procedure from now into the foreseeable future, all I can do is count the days until the O's have a new owner.

"Keith Law had us 28th a couple of years ago and now we're at 10. When we're in the top five, that's when we'll be cooking. That's when we'll be consistent participants in the postseason."

"Dan's very perceptive," manager Buck Showalter said. "He understands [that the fans are frustrated], but he also knows what the bottom line is. Just because something is delayed doesn't mean it's denied. It's all about the finished product. I think Dan understands that there is a difference between perception and reality, and knows the finished product is a little ways away."

I don't think they can make it any clearer. 2012 was a mirage. They are looking towards 2016 and beyond. Forget that man behind the curtain's BS about MASN money and spending when they are close. They have been given just so many marbles and will have to make do. JMHO but I think there is some middle ground between spending like the Yankees and dumpster diving.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-column-0202-20140201,0,4040086.column#ixzz2s8BOS1sX

DD says that we are not going to sign a LOT of premium FA talent, but no one here is requesting that. People here just want the Os to spend to their appropriate local TV rights fees (which would be $20+M) and the new MLB national TV deal (which would be $25M in new funds in 2014). There is plenty of room there to sign two top free agents and leave $ for the owner's profit as well.

DD says that we are not going to sign a LOT of premium FA talent, but no one here is requesting that. People here just want the Os to spend to their appropriate local TV rights fees (which would be $20+M) and the new MLB national TV deal (which would be $25M in new funds in 2014). There is plenty of room there to sign two top free agents and leave $ for the owner's profit as well.

Who do you want? Of the top free agents that have signed so far, who should the O's have gotten? I'm not saying they shouldn't spend money. But they need to do it wisely.

The Orioles still have two years of team control on Wieters. They can still trade him down the road if they want to.

I'm okay with the Orioles focusing on player development. In fact, that kind of team-building is more interesting and rewarding to me anyways. Hopefully the player development system under Duquette will produce.

Who do you want? Of the top free agents that have signed so far, who should the O's have gotten? I'm not saying they shouldn't spend money. But they need to do it wisely.
We wouldn't have destroyed the franchise to have overpaid for one of Choo or Beltran, IMO. Their bats could have made a big difference. Especially when we stand to lose both Wieters and Davis.

If you can't get the SP to give up less R, then score more.

I mean, is this really news?

Not to anyone with a clue. Tony Soprano knows better than anyone. If you're a fan of this organization, you know it's just not an option to spend 9 figures in free agency. Listen closely, peeps: IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE AN OPTION.

Hank, we've been asking for years, "where's the MASN money?" The only "news" is someone in the media, I believe for the first time, calling out MASN as "just a fantasy."

Archived