Lough... leadoff... why?

Barnaby Graves

If he thinks he had no better options then I am more stat wise than Buck.

I would bet anything that Buck is very aware of OBP numbers and is aware of the theory that the highest OBP guys should bat highest and the lowest OBP guys should bat lowest in the order. He obviously feels that there are other considerations. And he clearly doesn't like moving guys around in the order unless he has no choice.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man got some wheels.

Yeah I think he's a great pickup and will be extremely fun to watch, likely a fan favorite. But until he proves he can get on base more, leading him off would put him way out of his depth. So I'm beginning to think mdbdotcom is right and Presley was just being diplomatic, they know he's not ready to bat 1st.

By the way, this is AL OBP/SLG data from last year:

#1 .324/.404

#2 .325/.393

#3 .343/.402

#4 .333/.432

#5 .323/.424

#6 .323/.415

#7 .310/.395

#8 .303/.377

#9 .290/.343

Kind of interesting that 1, 2, 5 and 6 were all pretty interchangeable from an OBP point of view, but the guys with more power were at 5-6. You have to think that the calls on 1-2 are being based on speed and perhaps skill at moving runners over.

By the way, this is AL OBP/SLG data from last year:

#1 .324/.404

#2 .325/.393

#3 .343/.402

#4 .333/.432

#5 .323/.424

#6 .323/.415

#7 .310/.395

#8 .303/.377

#9 .290/.343

Kind of interesting that 1, 2, 5 and 6 were all pretty interchangeable from an OBP point of view, but the guys with more power were at 5-6. You have to think that the calls on 1-2 are being based on speed and perhaps skill at moving runners over.

Or lack of power.

Or comfort level.

Let's start with some compliments, I think this was a very savvy pickup by DD and Lough seems like he can do several things very well. Let's also say Presley doesn't write the lineup card, BUT...

If Showalter can put JJ "What's a walk" Hardy in the 2nd position, he could just as easily fall in love with Lough's prototypical slappy speedster offensive profile and put him first, and ignore the .308 OBP. And I honestly think he will because, while I'm sure he cares about OBP, he likes guys in their roles and he's old school enough to take a quick look and think, this guy is a leadoff hitter. 10 walks in 335 PA last year. Brian Roberts found 26 walks in 296 AB to go with an ISO slightly better than Lough's.

But I honestly think Showalter does this.

I love the idea. I actually suggested this when we first made the move for him and got ripped for suggesting it haha.

And I don't see a reason to test him at leadoff before he learns how to take a walk. What's even the point? He's not the type of guy to get pitched around either way... I think he'll be challenged in the zone. And maybe that's a reason in and of itself to be swinging, but if that's the conclusion, why is he a better leadoff hitter than Markakis or even Davis?

There's my crazy idea: Davis, who walks and slugs, leads off all year and gets the most PA of any Oriole (better yet because he is the best hitter of any Oriole), and behind him is Adam Jones, who is the second best slugger. We could be taking 2-0 leads in at least a handful of first innings through the year.

Of course if he DID start walking, or clawed to a .350 OBP, then he really would make a great leadoff hitter. Would be awesome if he had that kind of upside.

I think you might be right, but Nick is pretty slow now, and for the reasons I said above I think Showalter might do it. If he doesn't care enough about OBP to pull Hardy from #2, this guy could easily be leadoff and he'll put Markakis 2 or lower than 5.

I think you worry too much.

If memory serves, I think Buck commented that Kakes got his speed back this off-season? If that's true I suspect he'll Nick in the lead off.

All Buck really said was that Nick had been able to work out more fully this offseason, had put on about 10 pounds compared to his usual opening weight, and that Buck thinks he'll be able to run better, too. I doubt Buck has seen Nick run this offseason so I view his remark as speculative.

Archived