Would you rather have Chris Davis or Freddie Freeman for the next eight years?

Frobby

Which player would you prefer from now through 2021?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you prefer from now through 2021?

He wants you to think CD will take a reasonable offer and the O's are low balling him. That way you won't resent him for going FA. And you will be pressing the FO to pay more to keep him.

Not me. I don't think the serious negotiation have started yet. If the O's are in July and no extension for Davis. It's time to sell. I'd rather see a big offer. A decision and then a trade if necessary this off season.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont believe this FO and Owner will ever cave into what the fan base wants.
Of course not. As I said it's just PR. They don't want to make CD look bad. But I think the reality is that Boras has convinced CD that FA is the way to go, and by asking 10/200 M for an extension they shut of any further negotiations. CD is a fan favorite and he has to have positive talking points until he leaves. So he says "I love BAL, the ball's in their court" and the fans believe that if only cheap old PA makes a fair offer CD will stay. It seem a lot of na?ve people here believe that.

I want Chris Davis because he's the man.

He was the man last year. It's a mistake to extend him to anything approaching what Freeman got in years. And I like Chris Davis, but in three to four years he will likely not be worth what he's being paid.

It's a better comp for Manny than Davis because of age.

LOL. It is always someone else's fault around here. Never look in the mirror. So Boras is the new scapegoat. The "new" excuse. The new bad guy who is standing in the way of the Orioles return to respectability.

The facts are none of you know a darn thing about anything in relation to who is demanding what, who has been offered what, or what Boras has "demanded" for Davis or Wieters.

But we need to find yet another excuse, and conveniently Boras has filled that role. Just laying the groundwork already so when Davis and wieters leave, you can all bash the wrong people to make yourselves feel better about this franchise.

It is comical the frenzy all of you are worked up into just dying to find another reason to let this embarrassment of an owner off the hook.

That Boras!! All HIS fault. Nevermind we are just speculating and know nothing about what we are talking about, but we just KNOW that when Davis leaves it will be all his fault.

Whatever makes you feel better I guess.

He was the man last year. It's a mistake to extend him to anything approaching what Freeman got in years. And I like Chris Davis, but in three to four years he will likely not be worth what he's being paid.

It's a better comp for Manny than Davis because of age.

And because of Freeman's spray hitting, lesser power style. Kinda a Mark Grace/John Olerud type of guy.

LOL. It is always someone else's fault around here. Never look in the mirror. So Boras is the new scapegoat. The "new" excuse. The new bad guy who is standing in the way of the Orioles return to respectability.

The facts are none of you know a darn thing about anything in relation to who is demanding what, who has been offered what, or what Boras has "demanded" for Davis or Wieters.

But we need to find yet another excuse, and conveniently Boras has filled that role. Just laying the groundwork already so when Davis and wieters leave, you can all bash the wrong people to make yourselves feel better about this franchise.

It is comical the frenzy all of you are worked up into just dying to find another reason to let this embarrassment of an owner off the hook.

That Boras!! All HIS fault. Nevermind we are just speculating and know nothing about what we are talking about, but we just KNOW that when Davis leaves it will be all his fault.

I can't recall anyone calling Boras a villain. But you'd be a fool not to recognize his tendencies when it comes to FA v extensions. He rarely does them with his clients, that's just a fact. At the same time PA is risk averse and conservative in his willingness to pay FA. Boras asking 10/200 M and the O's offering 6/100M is a good way of showing just how far apart they are. I do think the notion that at some point CD will step in and give us a home town deal, because he loves it here so much, is fatuous.

Boras is probably the most frustrating aspect of MLB.

Why? Would you rather the owners just pocket the money? If I was a ML player, then I would want Boras or the equivalent as my agent. I certainly wouldn't trust Peter Angelos and the like to do what is best for me.

I have no problem with Scott Boras. I have a problem with teams and owners that give in to him. His tactics only work because they enable them.

The flip side of that coin is that Boras often times simply has a better read on leverage than most. You see it backfire at times, but generally he's pretty good at identifying the right opportunities for his clients, and in particular knowing where to spend his time as far as negotiating a final deal in earnest (as opposed to market making). It would be incredibly interesting to have dinner with him and discuss some of these things off the record (not that he'd ever agree to that).

Why? Would you rather the owners just pocket the money? If I was a ML player, then I would want Boras or the equivalent as my agent. I certainly wouldn't trust Peter Angelos and the like to do what is best for me.

Well the problem is the drafting system creates an environment where young stars are underpaid for several years to begin their MLB career, so they seek contracts that essentially overpay them for their final years to balance it out.

There's no legitimate reason why Albert Pujols is worth his current contract (especially in the final years of it), he was worth a lot more than his previous contracts though.

The Braves essentially chose to pay Freeman more than otherwise for the next 2-3 years rather than pay him a lot more for when he's over 32. The O's would be smart to follow that example for guys like Machado - pay him more now, before he gets his first arbitration raise, and use that as the carrot to get more friendly amounst for his age 27-30 seasons.

Yet, you seem to have no problem blaming Angelos, despite the fact that everything you said above about not knowing what offers and demands have been made, speculating without knowing the facts, etc., also applies to whether we know enough to blame him. Seems like a pretty hypocritical position if you ask me.

By the way, I don't blame Boras for anything. He drives a hard bargain for his clients. The players are grown ups, they can decide whether they are willing to give a home town discount or not.

Archived