O's sign Cust to minor league deal (w/ Custer Reprise)

mdbdotcom

You do understand that he is not with the Orioles in spring training to actually play for the major league team at any point don't you? Do you know what the average salary of a minor league contract veteran with no major league camp invite is? I am all for throwing what ever rocks you want at Mr. Angelos. This is not one of those opportunities.

I just don't understand why Cust would accept it.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know Cust is a guy that could end up actually helping this year. He sat out last year but the year prior he had a 400 OBP at AAA over 490 PAs. As a LH DH he is good insurance IMO. Cust made a mistake in signing with Seattle and that looks to have killed his career. He is a flawed player no doubt but he can do several things clearly at a ML level. He wanted to be close to home if he is in the minors and we have given him that opportunity, but with a couple of injuries he could be putting balls in the flag court at some point this season and it is a given that he will get on base.

Plenty are LH: Berry, Paul, Borbon, Urrutia.

Weeks is a switch hitter and I think he has an excellent - although not certain - shot at being Norfolk's starting CF this year (with Phelps, De Jesus, and Schoop in the infield).

Of those only Urrutia has a shot at making the ML club. The others are weak hitting OF. Cust seems like LH DH insurance to me.

If the Orioles signed a 47 year old softball player from Podunk, Kentucky, there would be a half dozen posters exclaiming what a wonderful signing it was. Cust hasn't played in a game since July of 2011, a year in which he hit .213. He was cut in spring training of 2012 by the Rays and nothing since. To speculate that he will launching them onto the flag court is beyond fantasy.

If the Orioles signed a 47 year old softball player from Podunk' date=' Kentucky, there would be a half dozen posters exclaiming what a wonderful signing it was. Cust hasn't played in a game since July of 2011, a year in which he hit .213. He was cut in spring training of 2012 by the Rays and nothing since. To speculate that he will launching them onto the flag court is beyond fantasy.[/quote']

This stuff is not that hard to check out unless you are just dumb or lazy. He played the entire 2012 season with the NYY and BJs at AAA. He also was productive. Beane was smart enough to get some real good years out of him the last time everyone decided he sucked. One of the things that made Weaver the manager he was was the ability to see what players can do and see if that was needed. We need guys that get on base, Cust can do that. If a couple guys get hurt or fail he will get another chance with us I bet.

If the Orioles signed a 47 year old softball player from Podunk' date=' Kentucky, there would be a half dozen posters exclaiming what a wonderful signing it was. Cust hasn't played in a game since July of 2011, a year in which he hit .213. He was cut in spring training of 2012 by the Rays and nothing since. To speculate that he will launching them onto the flag court is beyond fantasy.[/quote']

No one, no one, said this was a wonderful signing. It's obvious that you need to construct that for your argument,

This stuff is not that hard to check out unless you are just dumb or lazy. He played the entire 2012 season with the NYY and BJs at AAA. He also was productive. Beane was smart enough to get some real good years out of him the last time everyone decided he sucked. One of the things that made Weaver the manager he was was the ability to see what players can do and see if that was needed. We need guys that get on base, Cust can do that. If a couple guys get hurt or fail he will get another chance with us I bet.

Some see beauty, some see warts.

Why does it seem like so many posters rush into threads to decry the koolaid drinkers this offseason? Is this some sort of coping mechanism? Clearly, looking through the thread, not one person has lauded this as a great signing, especially as it relates to the 2014 Orioles big league club. The most enthusiasm you'll find is posters thinking its an interesting move or simply not a bad move. Doesn't move the needle much, but weighted for what it is ($$/roster spots/effort to get done), doesn't seem like it an be considered as anything other than decent/interesting. Not sure if you're a football fan, but this is similar to the Ravens giving an undrafted FA spot in camp to someone who played college ball, was out of organized football for a while due to misc. reasons (injury, off field issues, etc.). Low risk, low probability of success, but potentially high reward. At worst he helps give some other guys a look and has been to the show.

The only interest I find in this, is how it impacts AAA Norfolk if Cust makes that team. Good chance Urrutia starts at Norfolk. Then we have Xavier Paul, Julio Borbon, Quintin Berry. I originally figured Urruita in RF or LF with Berry at the other corner and Borbon in CF with Paul as the DH. I think there's a good chance that Cust gets released at the end of ST if all of those guys remain healthy.

He might agree to play for Bowie. He just might really want to play ball for another year.

How long did Rickey Henderson keep playing after he could no longer hack it in the majors?

Archived