The Duquette Doubletalk

birdcrazy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan can stay a while, but he better be buying MacPhail steak dinners for the rest of his life, because MacPhail's trades have largely been genius where-as Dan's signings and trades have largely been so-so or busts.

I don't think you are giving Dan enough credit for Chen, Gonzalez, McLouth and a lot of guys who filled small gaps competently for a few weeks here and there as needed. Yes, MacPhail acquired some good talent while he was here, some of which didn't gel until Duquette arrived. But I think Dan has augmented that while not pulling off any moves that look spectacular by themselves. Still, one losing season and a lot of fans will turn on him.

If I was going to give Duquette a negative grade on anything it would be the Doug Fister trade. It was well reported that the Tigers were trying to move a starter, to not be in on this looks as if the organization was sleeping.
Fister, M. Gonzalez, Jose Abreu, Hudson, Hart, Morrison, the Murphy bros?

If I was going to give Duquette a negative grade on anything it would be the Doug Fister trade. It was well reported that the Tigers were trying to move a starter, to not be in on this looks as if the organization was sleeping.

Actually, I never saw a single report that the Tigers were even considering trading Fister, much less shopping him. There were many reports about them possibly looking at offers for either Porcello or Smyly, with Porcello the most likely since Smyly was their only LHSP. The Fister to Washington trade came somewhat out of the blue. If I missed any reports of them looking to move Fister, please show us.

Actually, I never saw a single report that the Tigers were even considering trading Fister, much less shopping him. There were many reports about them possibly looking at offers for either Porcello or Smyly, with Porcello the most likely since Smyly was their only LHSP. The Fister to Washington trade came somewhat out of the blue. If I missed any reports of them looking to move Fister, please show us.

Washington got him because the asked for him, it's called due diligence

Yeah, i really doubt Angelos is scolding Duquette for the late season moves last year and telling him i told you so. Believe what you want though.

I am uncertain that he knows what Duquette he has. For all I know he may be asking him where Flanny is.

From what their GM said, they reach out to Washington specifically.

I am absolutely in awe of how many folks still stand in support for this front office. Really? I mean Duquette has now seep walked though two consecutive off seasons. IMO, a GM has to be judged on his work two years down the road. To me, the last two winning seasons go largely to Andy MacPhails credit. This season, and going forward, will fall under the Duquette umbrella. I will always say that this present front office was handed a strong young core on the verge of being very competitive. If they struggle to stay out of the AL East basement this year, I will look around and see how many supporters this FO still has.

I am absolutely in awe of how many folks still stand in support for this front office. Really? I mean Duquette has now seep walked though two consecutive off seasons. IMO, a GM has to be judged on his work two years down the road. To me, the last two winning seasons go largely to Andy MacPhails credit. This season, and going forward, will fall under the Duquette umbrella. I will always say that this present front office was handed a strong young core on the verge of being very competitive. If they struggle to stay out of the AL East basement this year, I will look around and see how many supporters this FO still has.
If they struggle to stay out of the basement this year it will be because McP's wonderful core stank.

I don't think you are giving Dan enough credit for Chen, Gonzalez, McLouth and a lot of guys who filled small gaps competently for a few weeks here and there as needed. Yes, MacPhail acquired some good talent while he was here, some of which didn't gel until Duquette arrived. But I think Dan has augmented that while not pulling off any moves that look spectacular by themselves. Still, one losing season and a lot of fans will turn on him.

Weren't we already scouting Chen prior to Duquette's arrival? I'll give him credit for MGon and McLouth, but those 2 alone pale in comparison to what MacPhail did. Now, I'd like to give Duquette more credit...and maybe it's all Angelos's fault...but we're still in the same funk of routinely relying on the young (pitching) talent to step up. And they don't. Ever.

Archived