Road Trip to Orioles Spring Training in Sarasota, FL! (Post here if you are going to ST)

Living_Legend

We weren't able to fit our cornhole boards in the car for the trip, but we spent about an hour or so drinking beer and eating sandwiches/snacks in the parking lot before the games. It's a good way to save a few bucks and not get greased down at a local pub before the game.

I look forward to your epic Sarasota tales.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've got my number. We will be at every game 6th through 12th. If it is warm, I'm doing a beach day or two. It sounds like OH is taking over Sarasota for a week. I bet we might find a few more OH legends in town that week as well.

Bob? Is Bob gonna be there? That would just about make my day.

I was going to do that long weekend too, but it's getting too close to my wife's due date.

I'm in Orlando, though, so it's easier for me. :)

I'll be attending a single game, just not sure which one.

Make sure you say hello. I won't have long pants or real shows on for a week. And they say when the sun hits my dome just right, it is almost blinding to the uninitiated.

A friend of mine and I are doing it! Making the trip to spring training. He has a Prius that gets 50mpg. And we plan to park and walk everywhere when we get there cause we are some drinkers. Any suggestions on places to hang check out or things to do are welcomed!

Thursday March 6th

-Leave Maryland by 3:30p.m. after work

-drive 9.5 hours till Richmond Hill, GA area

-Sleep in car/ or camp

Friday March 7th

-Leave for Ed Smith Stadium at 6a.m.

-Arrive at stadium by 12pm.

-1 pm Orioles vs. Phillies

-4 pm Head to to hotel to check in

-Hotel (American Best Value Inn)

-Go out

Saturday March 8th

-10am - walk towards Ed Smith and get lunch

-1pm Orioles vs Red Sox

-4pm go out

Sunday March 9th.

-10am - walk towards Ed Smith and get lunch

-1pm Orioles vs Pirates

-4pm go out

Monday, March 10th

-Check out of Hotel at 7am

-Drive Home (15h) (Home around 10pm)

COST: Hotel $320, Gas $140 = $460 ($230 each)

Mike: Hotel

Gary: Gas +$90

Details

Ed Smith Stadium (2.3m walk or 3.3m drive from hotel)

HOTEL (starting point)

Torwards Stadium

Main Bar Sandwich Shop (0.7m) 10-4 Lunch

Evie's Tavern (0.6) Open till 2:30am. $2 happy hour

Towards Stadium Left

O'Leary's Tiki Bar and Grill (1m) Bands at 5, open till 11

Darwin's on 4th (1.4m) fancy brewery, open till 12

Sarasota Vineyard (1.2m) wine, open till 12

Towards Stadium Right

Shamrock Pub (0.9m) irish pub, open till 2

South of Hotel

Five O'Clock Club (0.8m) live music at 10, open till 2

Libby's Cafe & Bar (1.1m) fancy bar

Gecko's Grill & Pub (0.9m) sports bar, late night happy hour

Square 1 Burgers & Bar (0.7m) burgers beer, till 12

*Hotel has pool, free WiFi, fridge in room, free breakfast

*948 Beach Road, Siesta Key, FL Best Public Beach 6-7 miles from hotel

*CHEETAH LOUNGE 2 miles north of Ed Smith Stadium (Strip Club)

So, you're going to all of those pre-season Oriole games without me ???

You bastard.

Weams and JustD already have two of the tickets, but I have extras for the Sunday Pirates home game if anyone wants some. Gates do open two hours in advance, and I'll be going in immediately to allow my son to improve upon his 24 baseballs from last year so no tailgating for this guy (not sure that they allow it, but I saw some guys drinking beers in lawn chairs last year).

It's coming soon!!!!

Make sure you say hello. I won't have long pants or real shows on for a week. And they say when the sun hits my dome just right, it is almost blinding to the uninitiated.

Will do. Still not sure what game or games I am going to attend. I might play hooky and go to a weekday game like the Twins on Monday, March 3rd.

Bob? Is Bob gonna be there? That would just about make my day.

BoltonBob & wife Cathy will be there Mar. 6-10. Have extra tics for Sunday (just arrived). Also doing day-trip

March 1 there from Clearwater (actually now living in "Belleair Bluffs" near Indian Rocks beach.) Also Mar. 17 (St Patty's Day :P for Phillies in Clearwater, & Sun Mar. 23 for Skanks in Tampa, hitting Shamrock Irish pub on way home. Will hit most parks from Ft Myers to Pt Charlotte to Tamps & Kissemee/Lakeworth - sometimes 2 games in 1 day.

Hitting Rays Fanfest Feb 22 (free) for "senior" tic package - 3 games for $25 @ the air conditioned TROP; Ferg's nearby is our "Pickles" & within walking distance. Keep looking for Tony and Hangout gang to surprise us @ Ferg's. :smile11::smile11:

Hope to meet Weams & Denise @ place in Sarasota where ushers hang out. Have a few beach spots and places in Bradenton near Days INN (who has video footage of me after hours in pool.) :D - so as long as I keep coming back it stays in safe. Looking forward to catching up w/BroPhil and gang again and a few new "adventures." :wedge::wedge:

You can see Weam's dome from the airplanes, when the sun is right! :cool: BYW, most Hooters have a free beer w/game tic. Free WiFi for posting. :hearts: Good Oysters :slytf: & great Happy Hour, too!

You can see Weam's dome from the airplanes, when the sun is right! :cool: BYW, most Hooters have a free beer w/game tic. Free WiFi for posting. :hearts: Good Oysters :slytf: & great Happy Hour, too!

Hmmm....Hooters and Free Beer? As Jeff Foxworthy says....

"If you wanna know what men are thinking, we're thinking we want a cold beer and we wanna see summin naked!"

Archived