Road Trip to Orioles Spring Training in Sarasota, FL! (Post here if you are going to ST)

Living_Legend

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good oysters in Florida? Now that would be something new.

Even a blind squirrel..... Gotta agree overall, but Hooters Oysters are usually pretty good. Crabby Bills & Frenchies, located throughout the Clearwater, St Pete, Tampa area, has specials ($5 a doz) occasionally, and on food & drinks...... and fun Happy Hours. :hearts:

Stone crabs (It's just a bunch of claws) are seasonal, but rival lobster in taste. Lately, besides cheap booze from Albertson's supermarkets, we have been getting Maine Lobsters $6.99 lb, Lg scallops $9.99 lb, Salmon $5 lb and having seafood fests @ home. Local Sav-A-Lot had Porterhouses and boneless Rib Eyes for $5 lb, so now we also "Surf & Turf" it @ home and occasionally when staying in "equipped hotels," to stretch drinking/partyin' money. :2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

You have to go to Zacchini Bar and Grill right down the street from Ed Smith stadium. If you bring in your ticket stub you get a free beer. They have terrific wings and pulled pork BBQ.

I know you plan to walk to Ed Smith for the games but you may want to consider a drive so you can tailgate in the parking lot. From what I remember it's about 10 bucks to park and you can eat and drink before entering the stadium.

We are willing to do a Hangout & Friends Tailgating Party (HFTP for short) , especially on Sun Mar. 9, before the O's/Pirates game (cheap tics available on Stub Hub).

Hey Weams, how about a roll call sticky for ST games. :agree:

BroPhil - What was the name of the Kereoke place, where I did "Who let the Dogs Out" ? :cool: :clap3::clap3:

Even a blind squirrel..... Gotta agree overall, but Hooters Oysters are usually pretty good. Crabby Bills & Frenchies, located throughout the Clearwater, St Pete, Tampa area, has specials ($5 a doz) occasionally, and on food & drinks...... and fun Happy Hours. :hearts:

Stone crabs (It's just a bunch of claws) are seasonal, but rival lobster in taste. Lately, besides cheap booze from Albertson's supermarkets, we have been getting Maine Lobsters $6.99 lb, Lg scallops $9.99 lb, Salmon $5 lb and having seafood fests @ home. Local Sav-A-Lot had Porterhouses and boneless Rib Eyes for $5 lb, so now we also "Surf & Turf" it @ home and occasionally when staying in "equipped hotels," to stretch drinking/partyin' money. :2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

We are willing to do a Hangout & Friends Tailgating Party (HFTP for short) , especially on Sun Mar. 9, before the O's/Pirates game (cheap tics available on Stub Hub).

Hey Weams, how about a roll call sticky for ST games. :agree:

BroPhil - What was the name of the Kereoke place, where I did "Who let the Dogs Out" ? :cool: :clap3::clap3:

If you have not had the pleasure of meeting BoltonBob, you owe it to yourself to make the effort. He sits right behind Buck and gives him instructions.

Details

Ed Smith Stadium (2.3m walk or 3.3m drive from hotel)

HOTEL: American Best Value Inn (starting point)

Towards Stadium

Main Bar Sandwich Shop (0.7m) 10-4 Lunch

Evie's Tavern (0.6) Open till 2:30am. $2 happy hour

Zacchini Bar & Grill (0.3 from stadium), Free beer with game ticket

Towards Stadium Left

O'Leary's Tiki Bar and Grill (1m) Bands at 5, open till 11

Darwin's on 4th (1.4m) fancy brewery, open till 12

Sarasota Vineyard (1.2m) wine, open till 12

Towards Stadium Right

Shamrock Pub (0.9m) Irish pub, open till 2

South of Hotel

Five O?clock Club (0.8m) live music at 10, open till 2

Libby's Cafe & Bar (1.1m) fancy bar

Gecko's Grill & Pub (0.9m) sports bar, fun, late night happy hour

Square 1 Burgers & Bar (0.7m) burgers beer, till 12

*Hotel has pool, free Wi-Fi, fridge in room, free breakfast

*948 Beach Road, Siesta Key, FL Best Public Beach 6-7 miles from hotel

*Sarasota Kennel Club Dog Racing. $0.50 Fridays beer, 4 miles north of stadium

*CHEETAH LOUNGE 2 miles north of Ed Smith Stadium (Strip Club)

Who can tell me about very early spring training?

I've just lucked into a trip for next week. I'll be able to get to the stadium T, W, Th. What time to they practice? Can I get into the stadium or are all of the workouts behind? Are any of you guys going to be there next week?

Who can tell me about very early spring training?

I've just lucked into a trip for next week. I'll be able to get to the stadium T, W, Th. What time to they practice? Can I get into the stadium or are all of the workouts behind? Are any of you guys going to be there next week?

I assume that they will be on the four back fields. And that they will be freely open to the public. Think the Amish guys last year.

I think they are out on the fields by 8 AM.

I am headed down the same weekend, March 6-9, with a couple of my buddies. We are going to the Phillies game on Friday and the Red Sox game on Saturday, but that's the extent of our plans.

No offense, OP, but we would not travel well together. I much prefer the "let's do what we feel like doing" approach to vacation, as opposed to mapping out every moment ahead of time.

I am headed down the same weekend, March 6-9, with a couple of my buddies. We are going to the Phillies game on Friday and the Red Sox game on Saturday, but that's the extent of our plans.

No offense, OP, but we would not travel well together. I much prefer the "let's do what we feel like doing" approach to vacation, as opposed to mapping out every moment ahead of time.

belushi_toga.jpg

Archived