Price tag for Santana & Jimenez has come down to 14.1 -14.6 $mill per season for 3/4 year deals

xian4

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL I know it's so much better using 14 starting pitchers every year.

You're right. Let the O's give 14+ mil. a yr. to 2 guys that had good years in their walk years and totally disregard what they did the previous 3-4 years. But then we wouldn't have to see you start 14 threads a week about how the O's didn't spend this off season and what a pathetic organization they are. So there is some upside. And one more thing so you understand, I'm not saying don't sign these guys, just don't do it at 14M a year.

There are apparently concerns about Ervin's elbow and Jimenez averages around 5 2/3 innings per start, and both were terrible as recently as 2012. I don't want to burn a pick for either.

Yep, but what else are you going to do? Santana is better than doing nothing iMO.

It doesn't really matter because the Orioles have lost the confidence of everyone-players, fans, media, etc. I don't think they can get a big name anything even if they really wanted to and it is apparent they don't want to.

The Blue Jays would also not have to give up their 1st round pick as they are picking 9th, if I'm correct.

No, that pick is protected, as is the Jays' 11th pick in the first round.

As Ken Rosenthal explains:

The principal holdup in the Santana talks has been the reluctance of teams to lose a high draft pick -- and accompanying pool money -- as compensation for signing him.

The Blue Jays, however, hold two "protected" picks, Nos. 9 and 11. (The No. 11 pick is protected because the Jays did not sign their first-round choice last year.) The first pick that the Jays could lose is their second rounder, No. 49 overall.

The Orioles, on the other hand, would lose the No. 17 pick for signing Santana or another "qualifying" free agent such as right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez or outfielder Nelson Cruz.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/santana-prepares-to-go-to-spring-training-somewhere-sometime-020914

Darn...guess I get the silver. Lousy tenth of a second..

Haha sorry. At least we have some fresh info to talk about.

While Jimenez is my preference, I will be happy if the Orioles can pull this off. It is good to see that the price for both of these guys has come down to a level where the Orioles are willing to negotiate.

Yep, but what else are you going to do? Santana is better than doing nothing iMO.

It doesn't really matter because the Orioles have lost the confidence of everyone-players, fans, media, etc. I don't think they can get a big name anything even if they really wanted to and it is apparent they don't want to.

Bit of an overstatement don't you think?

I'm not arguing the merits of giving up a first round pick, because that's highly debatable depending on who you give it up for. However, I've seen the argument going back and forth about players drafted after #17. If you're going to argue that point it should be about players drafted after #17 and before #55 since that would be our next available pick. We wouldn't be forfeiting the whole draft, only the first round, we don't have picks in the comp round or competitive balance round. I will say that I would be much more willing to give up the first rounder if we had picks in either of those rounds.

I had them ranked Burnett, Jimenez, Santana, and Arroyo...for us. Since this article continues the Burnett is a longshot talk, Jiminez would be my next choice, but I thought Jimenez and Santana were very close. I think Santana would be a very solid addition if his elbow is healthy...no worries there...he won't pass an O 's physical with any issue :)

Haha sorry. At least we have some fresh info to talk about.

While Jimenez is my preference, I will be happy if the Orioles can pull this off. It is good to see that the price for both of these guys has come down to a level where the Orioles are willing to negotiate.

There's never an excuse to burn a pick on a mediocre player.

Unfortunately there doesn't really appear to be much left to do at this point if Burnett won't sign here. Maybe take a flier on someone like Capuano but that's about it. The offseason is over and we chose not to improve the team in any meaningful way. I'm not in the "we're doomed" crowd but I think we're probably a 82-85 win team barring a windfall of good fortune.

Archived