Assuming we use a draft pick to get Jimenez or Santana, shall we go ahead and get Morales?

Frobby

Oh yes, I'm sure Buck has penciled Flaherty in for 2B and we've all seen that he has potential, at least over short periods of play. I was just saying that, objectively speaking, Flaherty has not proven himself yet (thus, we're back to square one) and it will be maddening--and, I think, a sign of deep failure--if Buck insists on starting him the first 50 or so games again even if he isn't hitting worth a lick, as they used to say.

I guess it is all a matter of degree. Normally, I don't mind seeing a manager give a guy 50 games to find his level. Nick Markakis had a .632 OPS 50 games played into his rookie season. But Flaherty is not a rookie, and he has shown himself to be prone to very deep early season slumps (.446 OPS through the end of June 2012, .476 OPS through June 17 of last season). Those kinds of numbers can't be carried for 50 games. But if Flaherty is up in .600-.650 OPS territory, I suspect Buck will stick with him in the hopes that he will heat up as he eventually did the last two seasons.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess it is all a matter of degree. Normally, I don't mind seeing a manager give a guy 50 games to find his level. Nick Markakis had a .632 OPS 50 games played into his rookie season. But Flaherty is not a rookie, and he has shown himself to be prone to very deep early season slumps (.446 OPS through the end of June 2012, .476 OPS through June 17 of last season). Those kinds of numbers can't be carried for 50 games. But if Flaherty is up in .600-.650 OPS territory, I suspect Buck will stick with him in the hopes that he will heat up as he eventually did the last two seasons.

If Flaherty is hitting .650 OPS most of the first third of the season, I'll have no problem with him starting, as long as his defense is close to what it was last year. As for what happens when/if he heats up, we shouldn't forget that both times (in 2012 and 2013) that Flaherty did finally get rolling, Buck sat him down, although for different reasons (Quintanilla, B-Rob) and, arguably, with good, though temporary results.

Wasting a draft pick on any of these guys is the only thing they can do to make me even more disappointed with the direction of this team than I am right now. If they signed Burnett, that would be defensible. Signing Yoon would be great IMO. If that could swing a good trade or two, perfect. But besides that, this offseason is over and it is time to take our group to spring training and hope that quite a few things break our way. And I am always optimistic that we can get a few good breaks. I like Urrutia, and I think he will hit well as our LH DH. I really like David Lough, especially when you consider his whole game.

Am I disappointed with this FO? Oh yeah, I think they have been horrendous. But I still like our guys, and maybe we can catch that lightning in a bottle.

So an 85 W team loses Feldman, McLouth, and JJ, replaces them with Sanatana/Jimenez, Morales, Lough, and Webb and we are just breaking even?

Yea, maybe. Does 2014 replace 2013 C. Davis? There are reasons to be nervous that Tillman was a bit lucky last year. Does his luck run out? Are we as healthy last year?

My point is that we can't just focus on the additions and subtractions and assume all the "good" players will stay good.

Wasting a draft pick on any of these guys is the only thing they can do to make me even more disappointed with the direction of this team than I am right now. If they signed Burnett, that would be defensible.

Signing Yoon would be great IMO.

Please explain why it would be great to sign an unproven ML pitcher coming off a shoulder injury when they previously had failed Balfour on his physical with issues that had nothing to do with his pitching arm.

Yea, maybe. Does 2014 replace 2013 C. Davis? There are reasons to be nervous that Tillman was a bit lucky last year. Does his luck run out? Are we as healthy last year?

My point is that we can't just focus on the additions and subtractions and assume all the "good" players will stay good.

I don't think Davis will hit 50 HR this season But I don't think he needs to do that to stay "a good player" and the O's don't need him to do that to win. I would be surprised if Manny doesn't improve with the bat and the same for Wieters and Markakis. Something tells me neither are about to fall off the cliff, but I guess that's just me. We need another SP at least on the level of Chen and Gonzo to have a shot IMO. Tillman may not do as well but I doubt we put him on waivers either. Morales is a good bat and would really help an already good lineup be better. We were an 85 W team last year because we only got decent performance from 3 of 14 SP.

Please explain why it would be great to sign an unproven ML pitcher coming off a shoulder injury when they previously had failed Balfour on his physical with issues that had nothing to do with his pitching arm.

Because if we sign him, it will only be after he passes his physical and is deemed healthy. If not, we don't sign him. Either way, we do not lose our draft pick. His price will not be crippling, so I see him as an unproven risk similar to Chen. At that price, its a good gamble and one I think we can afford to lose.

Because if we sign him, it will only be after he passes his physical and is deemed healthy. If not, we don't sign him. Either way, we do not lose our draft pick. His price will not be crippling, so I see him as an unproven risk similar to Chen. At that price, its a good gamble and one I think we can afford to lose.

He would have been a risk similar to Chen...in 2011. Now he is a guy coming off a 4.00 ERA in the KBO. Why did they send him to the bullpen last season?

Aceves is already filling the "insurance" role, IMO.

I think Aceves is going to be a great addition. I could see him easily being better than Hunter or Webb but just not as protected ERA wise. He's the luis Ayala type we missed last year. And he's always been in the al east. By seasons end he could be our number 5 or our closer. But no doubt he makes the team. I see the OD relievers as...

Hunter

O'day

Matusz

Webb

Aceves

Britton

Stinson

Wasting a draft pick on any of these guys is the only thing they can do to make me even more disappointed with the direction of this team than I am right now. If they signed Burnett, that would be defensible. Signing Yoon would be great IMO. If that could swing a good trade or two, perfect. But besides that, this offseason is over and it is time to take our group to spring training and hope that quite a few things break our way. And I am always optimistic that we can get a few good breaks. I like Urrutia, and I think he will hit well as our LH DH. I really like David Lough, especially when you consider his whole game.

Am I disappointed with this FO? Oh yeah, I think they have been horrendous. But I still like our guys, and maybe we can catch that lightning in a bottle.

Josh Hart says hello. If Harvey was gone we would have easily taken him in that spot. I'm all for saving picks but this team with it's current players needs to go for it.

I agree with your projected pen except Steve Johnson will take Britton's place. Britton will be traded. This could be the best pen we have had in years.

To answer the opening comment on this post I say yes. Sign Santana if Burnett goes to Philadelphia and Morales. Let's be more than competitive this season and look to the playoffs and maybe more.

I agree with your projected pen except Steve Johnson will take Britton's place. Britton will be traded. This could be the best pen we have had in the last two years.

Fixed that for you. You do realize that the 2012 bullpen had the highest Win Probability Added ever recorded, don't you?

It didn't "work out fine" the whole first third of last season. And even in the end it wasn't much of a solution--Aren't we now back to square one at 2B?

Yes it did. The combined production at second base last year was more than adequate. We'll see how Flaherty and a platoon partner does this year.

Archived