Jeter to Retire After 2014 Season

Can_of_corn

He's been a great hitter for a very long time, and historically great for a shortstop. A leader on numerous WS teams and winners. Very durable. Thought by many to be a very good shortstop because of his penchant for making ordinary plays on balls hit into the hole look spectacular, his fielding of an errant throw and flip to nail a non-sliding Jeremy Giambi at the plate in 2001, and his catch of a foul ball in the stands against the Red Sox in 2004.

What I can't understand is that Jeter is constantly referred to as the ultimate team player, who always "played the game the right way" and serves as a model for ballplayers. In 2004, the Yankees traded for A-Rod, then a far superior defensive (and offensive) shortstop. By all accounts, Jeter insisted that he would remain the Yankees' SS -- he certainly didn't offer to consider moving -- and A-Rod was the good guy who volunteered to learn a new position, 3B. (I have wondered whether, if he had been installed at SS, A-Rod would have remained at a lighter weight to retain his range and agility, hit fewer home runs while getting on base more, and not have done some of those other things we later found out he did.) Even after the world, or some portions of it, caught on to the fact that Jeter was a mediocre to lousy defensive SS, and the suggestion was made that he learn a new position (2B and then, I think after Cano emerged, the OF), he stayed anchored at SS (and that's a pretty good metaphor for his defensive play). Wouldn't a team-first guy who "does things the right way" have volunteered to give another position a try, at least, in spring training, or during the off-season?

I have no doubt that Jeter's moving from SS, in favor of A-Rod or, later, to enable the Yanks to develop (read: sign as a free agent) a capable SS, would have made them a better team over the past decade. So thanks for that, Derek.

I always thought that Jeter should have moved to CF when Rodriguez came over a la Robin Yount. They would have used the money that they spent on Johnny Damon and applied that to 3B. IMO, they would have been better off offensively and defensively. They could have gone after Adrian Beltre in 2005.

As far as the topic is concerned, think about this, in the storied Yankees history, there is no player within 700 hits of Jeter (assuming he plays a little bit in the second half). He would most certainly be a 1st ballet HOFer anywhere in the country. He may not be as revered as he is, but he'd still be considered a great player.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more practical reasoning has been given. If you want to use some things that sound impressive:
  • Cal has more HR's from the SS position than any other player in history,
  • and he is 4th in the history of baseball at any position in defensive WAR (baseball reference).

That's a pretty good combination.

In fairness, Cal leads ARoid in SS HR by one, thanks to Derek Jeter ;) The Yanks didn't dare displace their Captain so ARoid went to 3B. Then again, if ARoid had the SS record, I'd add an asterisk anyway.

If you recorded the game, go back and watch Jeter's first at bat. You can hear him tell the catcher not to tell him what is coming for the first pitch. Let him see the first pitch. Then the next pitch Wainwright grooves a fastball down the middle and Jeter is all over it. I know this happens all the time, but I laughing when the announcers were gushing about how much of a gamer Jeter is in situations like this after he got the double. He knew what was coming! I still agree that Wainwright should have kept his mouth closed.

That's awesome, I missed hearing that. But I recall the announcers said the same thing when Cal hit the home run in his last game- and that is still the fattest pitch I ever saw.

If you recorded the game, go back and watch Jeter's first at bat. You can hear him tell the catcher not to tell him what is coming for the first pitch. Let him see the first pitch. Then the next pitch Wainwright grooves a fastball down the middle and Jeter is all over it. I know this happens all the time, but I laughing when the announcers were gushing about how much of a gamer Jeter is in situations like this after he got the double. He knew what was coming! I still agree that Wainwright should have kept his mouth closed.

Why ???

All it does is confirm that in addition to whatever preferential treatment that Jeter already gets, he got even more from one of his peers ...... who was supposed to be trying to get him out, and helping his team (the National League) win the game, of which homefield advantage for the upcoming World Series rests upon.

It certainly doesn't make Wainwright look good (which I don't care about either way), and if anything, it doesn't make Jeter himself look great (which I enjoy) ....... maybe Jeter didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but he's made to look like a charity case.

Why ???

All it does is confirm that in addition to whatever preferential treatment that Jeter already gets, he got even more from one of his peers ...... who was supposed to be trying to get him out, and helping his team (the National League) win the game, of which homefield advantage for the upcoming World Series rests upon.

It certainly doesn't make Wainwright look good (which I don't care about either way), and if anything, it doesn't make Jeter himself look great (which I enjoy) ....... maybe Jeter didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but he's made to look like a charity case.

I agree 100%. I couldn't believe they had his mic live and allowed everyone to hear him talking with the catcher about how that AB was going to go down.

Why ???

I have to say I have a pretty huge problem with Wainwright doing this. Now that the all star game determines something that is of such great importance, doing this is pretty absurd. Wainwright's Cardinals are the defending NL champs and probably either the favorite or co-favorite to return to the world series this year. His job only job is to pitch the first inning (which he shouldn't even have been doing in the first place) and he decides to groove one to Jeter to let him get on? You're going to let him get on when the next three batters are TROUT, CANO AND CABERA in a game that determines whether your team potentially gets home field advantage in the playoffs? A game YOU might have to pitch? All for what, so people feel warm and fuzzy about Jeter's last all star game?

Also, as you mention, it is pretty disrespectful to Jeter, who has been a great ambassador for the game, to treat him like a charity case. (Even if it he is a MFY) I'm sure this is not what Jeter wanted at all to be honest. And then on top of ALL THAT, if you're going to pull such a stunt, the LAST thing you can do is caught telling someone about it. I may be overreacting but I just find this ludicrous.

Upon learning that he had won the GG in 2009 Wainwright said something like "Really? I don't think I'm that good a fielder."

In fact I started a thread a long time ago in the MLB section on that I think? My memory isn't the best so don't hold me to it.

Besides the obvious that he plays in New York?

The playoff appearances and WS rings have a lot to do with it. Jeter was surrounded by the best teammates money could buy, and only missed the playoffs twice up until now, and one of the misses was last year when he was out almost all year.

I'm past being jealous of the attention Jeter has garnered in his career. I'm just glad that the Yankees are no longer invincible in our division. Hopefully they will never experience another run like they had while Jeter was there.

The playoff appearances and W.S. rings have a lot to do with it. Jeter was surrounded by the best teammates money could buy, and only missed the playoffs twice up until now, and one of the misses was last year when he was out almost all year.

I'm past being jealous of the attention Jeter has garnered in his career. I'm just glad that the Yankees are no longer invincible in our division. Hopefully they will never experience another run like they had while Jeter was there.

I'm hoping that we can have a nice talk at season's end, about how for the first time since 1993, NEITHER the Yankees NOR the Red Sox (will have) made the postseason.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/115302-Is-Yankee-Red-Sox-Hegemony-coming-to-an-end

He's been a great hitter for a very long time, and historically great for a shortstop. A leader on numerous WS teams and winners. Very durable. Thought by many to be a very good shortstop because of his penchant for making ordinary plays on balls hit into the hole look spectacular, his fielding of an errant throw and flip to nail a non-sliding Jeremy Giambi at the plate in 2001, and his catch of a foul ball in the stands against the Red Sox in 2004.

What I can't understand is that Jeter is constantly referred to as the ultimate team player, who always "played the game the right way" and serves as a model for ballplayers. In 2004, the Yankees traded for A-Rod, then a far superior defensive (and offensive) shortstop. By all accounts, Jeter insisted that he would remain the Yankees' SS -- he certainly didn't offer to consider moving -- and A-Rod was the good guy who volunteered to learn a new position, 3B. (I have wondered whether, if he had been installed at SS, A-Rod would have remained at a lighter weight to retain his range and agility, hit fewer home runs while getting on base more, and not have done some of those other things we later found out he did.) Even after the world, or some portions of it, caught on to the fact that Jeter was a mediocre to lousy defensive SS, and the suggestion was made that he learn a new position (2B and then, I think after Cano emerged, the OF), he stayed anchored at SS (and that's a pretty good metaphor for his defensive play). Wouldn't a team-first guy who "does things the right way" have volunteered to give another position a try, at least, in spring training, or during the off-season?

I have no doubt that Jeter's moving from SS, in favor of A-Rod or, later, to enable the Yanks to develop (read: sign as a free agent) a capable SS, would have made them a better team over the past decade. So thanks for that, Derek.

Good post. You bring up some interesting points. I thought moving Jeter off of short was the right move for the Yankees when they signed Rodriguez. At that point in time Rodriguez was clearly the bast shortstop in the game. However, I see this as more of an ego issue than not "playing the game the right way." Jeter has always hustled and played a good chunk of the season a couple of years ago on a bad ankle that eventually broke in the playoffs. I'd say that overall he is a great player who played the game the right way despite not moving off of short when Rodriguez signed with the Yankees.

Archived