Still in contact with Morales...

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would the Orioles sign Bonifacio to anything more than a minor league deal? He's no better than who they have.

This is funny. Bonifacio is better then Weeks , Casilla and might be better then our starter Ryan.

Why would the Orioles sign Bonifacio to anything more than a minor league deal? He's no better than who they have.

He's not as good as we "HOPE" Flaherty, Schoop, Weeks, and even Casilla might be. But, he could be better than all of them really are.

Uhh...why? Yoon probably doesn't address the starting pitching problem, and the O's needs at DH/utility pale in comparison to the team's pitching needs.

I don't see the offense being much better than the pitching overall. Morales would likely be our second best hitter. Bonafacio is a capable platoon guy with Flaherty and bench guy. Yoon (starter or not0 sounds like a guy with some upside coming off of injury. They can add somebody like Saunders if they really need another starter.

I don't see the offense being much better than the pitching overall. Morales would likely be our second best hitter. Bonafacio is a capable platoon guy with Flaherty and bench guy. Yoon (starter or not0 sounds like a guy with some upside coming off of injury. They can add somebody like Saunders if they really need another starter.

How do you figure? The offense was one of the best in MLB last year and the pitching one of the worst. The offense has lost Nate McLouth. We have added a number of bats to try and compensate for that enormous loss but none the less, you see that as taking our offense from among the best to among the worst? Yes, some will regress but some will improve. I don't se much fall off from last year. I like Morales because he will make the offense that much better, and since the pitching isn't improved that can only help. Bonifacio can be an upgrade at UTIF over what we have, and who knows what Yoon can do, but at the very least he gives us more depth.

How do you figure? The offense was one of the best in MLB last year and the pitching one of the worst. The offense has lost Nate McLouth. We have added a number of bats to try and compensate for that enormous loss but none the less, you see that as taking our offense from among the best to among the worst? Yes, some will regress but some will improve. I don't se much fall off from last year. I like Morales because he will make the offense that much better, and since the pitching isn't improved that can only help. Bonifacio can be an upgrade at UTIF over what we have, and who knows what Yoon can do, but at the very least he gives us more depth.

ERA+ and OPS+ both sat around average last year. People overrate the offense and underrate the pitching imo. Both need to improve. Tillman/Gonzo/Chen are a good 3. Norris will have to step in now and we may need another SP if Britton/Gausman/Aceves/Yoon etc.(among others) aren't up to par. I might go with a Saunders type to start the year.

I'd have loved to have gotten Burnette (I really wanted him) but the SP situation isn't as dire as it's being made out to be. Under the current circumstances, it looks Kendrys Morales would provide the better value (especially when considering cost/risk) to the team than Santana/Jiminez imo.

ERA+ and OPS+ both sat around average last year. People overrate the offense and underrate the pitching imo. Both need to improve. Tillman/Gonzo/Chen are a good 3. Norris will have to step in now and we may need another SP if Britton/Gausman/Aceves/Yoon etc.(among others) aren't up to par. I might go with a Saunders type to start the year.

I'd have loved to have gotten Burnette (I really wanted him) but the SP situation isn't as dire as it's being made out to be. Under the current circumstances, it looks Kendrys Morales would provide the better value (especially when considering cost/risk) to the team than Santana/Jiminez imo.

BAL was 4th in OPS and 5th in R. How do you figure that's around average? http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/sort/runs/order/true

He's not as good as we "HOPE" Flaherty, Schoop, Weeks, and even Casilla might be. But, he could be better than all of them really are.

Fangraphs has Bonifacio projected at .247/.294/.314 in a full season (Oliver) and .258/.319/.319 over half a season (Fans7) this year, though that might be based on Kansas City data. He's put together an OPS north of .650 once in his career and it looks like an outlier; Casilla's done it three times. So, sure they can sign him but he's nothing more than another depth guy to me. Otherwise why would KC release him?

BAL was 4th in OPS and 5th in R. How do you figure that's around average? http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/sort/runs/order/true

The offense was poor in the second half and Dan traded Valencia who was the best hitter the last month or so. I'm not saying Valencia would repeat that but the offense needs to be improved. There is a real problem with plate discipline that DD repeatedly laments yet has done noting to address. IF a few of Markakis, Wieters, Flaherty, Lough, Urrutia, and the new guys improve their numbers from last year then, yes, the offense will be good. And that's assuming their's little/no regression from CD/AJ.

I'm very concerned about LF, RF, and DH, and that's with the understanding that 2B and C may not be big producers. A 2-3-4 of Manny-Davis-Jones is really nice, and Hardy has good power for SS, but outside of CD I'd like to see all of them improve at getting on base. Add to that the only real depth is Schoop and a ton of AAAA types. Another good (e.g. .800 OPS) bat would really be nice.

At this point, with starting pitching being the primary issue, I'd think hard about getting Jimenez for three years at around $45-$50MM. Know full well this is NOT something that would excite Angelos. Ideally I'd like to get Morales, too, but that's a lot of draft picks. Get Jimenez and call it a day. Don't think it'll happen, though.

Archived