Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

He's basically a perfect fit for our team.

Yep, Burnett is a great fit. Some people are underrating what he did the past two years. Also won't hurt to have a proven vet to mentor our younger pitchers. Pure speculation, but I think you'll see Burnett retire or sign with the O's. He would've been linked to a half dozen teams by now if he was willing to play anywhere. He said he was willing to accept the 1/14 QO from Pittsburgh, so 1/12 seems close enough to where a deal could happen if Angelos is willing to go there (he hasn't crossed 1/10 for any pitcher ever).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder if Burnett is waiting to see if we make any other additions before considering to play with us.

I hope he is waiting to see if he gets that old feeling... the one that tells him it's time to get ready to compete. When that goes away, guys are usually done. I'd rather he be sure he wants to play than just play for the offer.

Wonder if Burnett is waiting to see if we make any other additions before considering to play with us.

This seems doubtful to me. Playing near home, our core, and playing for Buck seem to be the selling points. He would obviously be the SP we would be adding, so he would know we weren't adding another one. Who could we add that would really make a difference to him one way or the other?

This seems doubtful to me. Playing near home, our core, and playing for Buck seem to be the selling points. He would obviously be the SP we would be adding, so he would know we weren't adding another one. Who could we add that would really make a difference to him one way or the other?

I don't know. Just conjecturing really. Thinking he might want to see us make a move or two that puts us closer to be a playoff team. I would imagine if he is going to play one last year he wants it to be a fairly competitive year.

Roch agrees. Almost shilling for him.

The Orioles need a starter to pair with Chris Tillman at the front end of their rotation. Burnett has made 61 starts over the past two seasons with the Pirates, logging 202 1/3 and 191 innings. He owns a 3.99 ERA in 15 major league seasons.

Burnett has made at least 30 starts in each of the last six seasons. He'd stick out in the Orioles' rotation like a sore thumb, which sure beats a sore arm or hamstring or oblique or intercostal.

I wasn't immediately sold on him, but the more I think about it, the better it sounds.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/bring-burnett-to-baltimore.html

A.J. Burnett - S - Pirates

According to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the Orioles are waiting on a response from A.J. Burnett before they pursue other free agent starting pitchers.

Burnett is very clearly their top target, but the veteran right-hander is taking his sweet time in determining whether or not he wants to pitch this season. Even if he does decide to return, he would be best served remaining in the National League instead of returning to the hard-hitting American League East.

Related: Orioles

Yeah there's a DH, but the AL East isn't as hard hitting as it used to be. Especially if you take the Orioles and all their home runs away.

MLBTR projected a 1/12 contract for Burnett. That, plus a $7M closer would put us right at $100M.

Excluding the possibility of a trade, that would mean Reimold in LF, Urrutia at DH, and Flaherty at 2B. That's a fine team. But not a serious contender barring some very lucky breaks.

And that's exactly why we shouldn't be in the market for a FA closer.

Then again, there's really nothing left in the FA pool that would help with our holes in LF and at DH so... :noidea:

Archived