Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

Neither the MLBTR post, nor Cafardo's article that it refers to gives a time frame for the reported comments by the Pirates official. I suspect that the comments may well have preceded their signing of Volquez.

The Pirates also extended Charlie Morton at 3/$21M, so they aren't moving him out of the rotation. They now have a rotation of Liriano, Wandy Rodriguez, Cole, Morton, and Volquez, with a decent 6th guy in Locke. The Pirates, as always, have limited resources. I'm not seeing a $10 million or so expenditure on Burnett when their rotation seems to be pretty well set. It just really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

I'm guessing that Cafardo was referring to a comment the official made prior to the Volquez and/or Morton signings, and I doubt very much if the Pirates are still pushing to sign Burnett. The bigger question with Burnett, IMO, is whether he decides to retire.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neither the MLBTR post, nor Cafardo's article that it refers to gives a time frame for the reported comments by the Pirates official. I suspect that the comments may well have preceded their signing of Volquez.

The Pirates also extended Charlie Morton at 3/$21M, so they aren't moving him out of the rotation. They now have a rotation of Liriano, Wandy Rodriguez, Cole, Morton, and Volquez, with a decent 6th guy in Locke. The Pirates, as always, have limited resources. I'm not seeing a $10 million or so expenditure on Burnett when their rotation seems to be pretty well set. It just really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

I'm guessing that Cafardo was referring to a comment the official made prior to the Volquez and/or Morton signings, and I doubt very much if the Pirates are still pushing to sign Burnett. The bigger question with Burnett, IMO, is whether he decides to retire.

This makes a lot of sense. I was thinking the same thing after I saw the Volquez signing. They have a full rotation as well as a couple of other options to start. With limited resources I don't think they're going to shell out 12M+ for Burnett which bodes well for us.

The proximity of the O's to his home in Monkton has to be appealing. Let's hope he still wants to play because he's still a damn fine pitcher and would look very nice either in front of or right behind Tillman. There are reports saying that Burnett loved being the head of the Pittsburgh staff and leading some of the young pitchers there. We have a similar situation here where he could take a some guys under his wing.

If the rumors are true, and Dan stopped pursuing some other FA to go after Burnett, then he clearly disagrees.

Just looking at this from Burnett's perspective, living at home in the summer and playing ball 30 minutes away from your house has got to be appealing. Good team with good infield defense to field your ground balls and a well-respected manager. I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to come here.

Aside from not wanting to play anymore?

Not that it means anything, but my friend saw him driving out of his house a couple days ago, so he's in Baltimore, now they just have to sign him.

I saw his butler pick up the Baltimore Sun from their driveway this morning, and when he saw the Orioles news on the fron page about signing Balfour, he got a HUGE smile on his face.

Make of this what you will.

PS: I didn't REALLY see this, but it could have happened.

I doubt the Pirates are counting on Wandy Rodriguez to do anything for them next year (my guess is that he'll spend most if not all of the season on the DL), and they can always move Volquez to the bullpen if they need to. Neither of those guys are going to prevent them from signing Burnett.

I doubt the Pirates are counting on Wandy Rodriguez to do anything for them next year (my guess is that he'll spend most if not all of the season on the DL), and they can always move Volquez to the bullpen if they need to. Neither of those guys are going to prevent them from signing Burnett.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4051/wandy-rodriguez

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/pittsburgh-pirates/

Perhaps you are right, but indications are that the Pirates anticipate that Wandy will start the year in their rotation, and it seems very odd that they would sign Volquez to a $5 million contract if they didn't plan on him being in the rotation. No, I'm sticking with my original take on it, but I certainly have no inside knowledge on the situation.

A.J made 16.5m last year. If you wanna talk him out of retirement it's gonna take at least 16m for 1 year. So what does that tell you? HE WONT BE A ORIOLE.

Not sure I understand this logic at all, regarding AJB's compensation last year versus his current market value.

How does this jive with Brian Roberts making $10M per year as an Oriole for the last four years and then signing elsewhere for $2M?

I would find it strange for DD to go be as shrewd as he has been picking up 1.4 WAR Grant Balfour for $7.5M and 1.2 WAR Ryan Webb for about $2M and picking up a 2.7 WAR LFer in David Lough, only to go offer $16M for a 1.7 WAR SP in AJB.

Scott Feldman was a 1.6 WAR guy who picked up a 3/$30M contract - that's a $10M AAV.

Assuming no hometown discount, and I think there should be one given how close he is to home, I would like to see AJB get a contract with a base around $9M-$10M with a $1B bonus if traded and incentives to get AJB another $2M-$3M. We should have been taking looks at Ellsbury, Choo and Cano at $22M given their production if we are going to look at paying AJB $16M.

Not sure I understand this logic at all, regarding AJB's compensation last year versus his current market value.

How does this jive with Brian Roberts making $10M per year as an Oriole for the last four years and then signing elsewhere for $2M?

I would find it strange for DD to go be as shrewd as he has been picking up 1.4 WAR Grant Balfour for $7.5M and 1.2 WAR Ryan Webb for about $2M and picking up a 2.7 WAR LFer in David Lough, only to go offer $16M for a 1.7 WAR SP in AJB.

Scott Feldman was a 1.6 WAR guy who picked up a 3/$30M contract - that's a $10M AAV.

Assuming no hometown discount, and I think there should be one given how close he is to home, I would like to see AJB get a contract with a base around $9M-$10M with a $1B bonus if traded and incentives to get AJB another $2M-$3M. We should have been taking looks at Ellsbury, Choo and Cano at $22M given their production if we are going to look at paying AJB $16M.

He has a much better track record than Feldman so I would say that the general perception around the league is that Burnett is a much better pitcher than Feldman and, as they say, perception is reality, my friend.

He may not get $16.5 million but he should be able to beat Feldman out by a few million, hands down.

According to fangraphs, Burnett was worth 4.0 WAR last year. It had Balfour at 0.6 WAR.

He has a much better track record than Feldman so I would say that the general perception around the league is that Burnett is a much better pitcher than Feldman and, as they say, perception is reality, my friend.

He may not get $16.5 million but he should be able to beat Feldman out by a few million, hands down.

Yes, if he were open to signing with anyone. If he's only willing to pitch for Pittsburgh and (possibly) Baltimore, then you have to redefine "market." Neither team will pay him $15M and I doubt the Pirates would pay him what the O's would.

Move on from Burnett, let's sign someone who doesn't have come out of retirement.

Like who? Jimenez and Santana both cost a first round pick, and both have been erratic over their careers. Imagine how great it would feel if in addition to losing the pick, our "big" SP acquisition came out and posted a 4.85 ERA in the first year of their big money deal, because of those guys are known to do such things. Garza? He doesn't cost a draft pick and there's rumored interest from both the Yankees and Angels. Do you really think we can beat either of those teams out if they decide they really want him? Arroyo? Again, no pick but he'll get eaten alive in the AL East. Who's left after that? Paul Maholm? Chris Capuano?

(Cards on the table, I'd like to sign Capuano if Burnett retires or returns to the Pirates...but still, only as a Plan B...)

Burnett is the best option on the market for the Orioles, bar none. No draft pick compensation, durable, track record of success, no long-term deal required to sign him and potentially burn us later- sign me up please.

Archived