Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source confirms <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> working on deal with Jimenez. Report from <a href="https://twitter.com/masnRoch">@masnRoch</a> said deal could be $48M for four years.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">February 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Your twitter-fu is something to behold. I've apparently been too spendy with rep the past 24 hrs but this makes my day if true. I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a burger today.

Orioles Nearing Deal With Ubaldo Jimenez

By Jeff Todd [February 17, 2014 at 5:20pm CST]

The Orioles are working to finalize a deal with free agent starter Ubaldo Jimenez, reports MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko (via Twitter). The contract under consideration is believed to be for four years and $48MM.

Jimenez, 30, is one of the premier remaining available free agents. He checked in at 11th on the top fifty free agent list of MLBTR's Tim Dierkes. As MLBTR's Steve Adams argued in his breakdown of Jimenez's free agent case, the big righty looked good for a three-year, $39MM deal but could plausibly command another guaranteed year that would bring him into the range of Edwin Jackson's four-year, $52MM contract. If he does land at the four-year, $48MM level, that would represent a nice payday at this late stage of the market.

For the Orioles, the addition of Jimenez would represent a massive shift in the off-season's complexion. Recent signee Suk-min Yoon and reliever Ryan Webb are the only players that the O's have inked to multi-year deals thus far, and both players received guarantees of less than $6MM. Baltimore has been tied to numberous players to date, and nearly landed reliever Grant Balfour on a two-year, $15MM pact, but has yet to pull the trigger on a major acquisition.

If Jimenez does indeed sign with the Orioles, his new employer would be required to sacrifice the 17th overall choice in the 2014 amateur draft. Meanwhile, the Indians -- Jimenez's former club -- would add a sandwich-round compensation pick.

Well now.

Jimenez and Morales would certainly turn this offseason around. Though for some reason I still think they end up with Nelson Cruz. Id rather have Morales if its like a 3/30 deal. Morales hitting behind Davis would be very nice.

Agree 100%. Big turn indeed, fingers crossed.

Jimenez and Morales would certainly turn this offseason around. Though for some reason I still think they end up with Nelson Cruz. Id rather have Morales if its like a 3/30 deal. Morales hitting behind Davis would be very nice.

Most would deem that a successful offseason as well. That would be a pretty powerful lineup. But that would also put the O's at about $107 million.

Archived