Jimenez is an Oriole

Dipper9

Are you happy Jiminez is an Oriole  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy Jiminez is an Oriole

Whats not to like? He might not be my first choice but he is sure good enough to be in our rotation. DD has really improved the rotation since he got here. Chen, Gonzalez, Norris, and Jiminez plus getting Tillman straightened out.

If you think about it getting rid of JJ and not having to spend money on the first round pick basically pays for Jiminez this year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This move may not work out, but we had to take the chance. You don't get better when you stand pat. I prefer him to Ervin Santana, who I would see just getting lit up in Camden Yards. And 12 mil a year is not breaking the bank (not even close) in today's market.

I'm sick of hearing about the lost pick. Middle first round draft picks are a crap shoot. More likely than not the player we would have selected would not make a significant impact at the MLB level.

Top 9 picks are craps shoots. Hobgood, Matusz, Loewen, Rowell, Towsend, Chris Smith....

Bottom line we needed another SP and we got one. Jimenez could slot anywhere from in front of Tillman to between Gonzo and Norris, but regardless he will be an upgrade. Too much money and the loss of a pick, but that's what we get for dragging our feet on Arroyo.

Top 9 picks are craps shoots. Hobgood, Matusz, Loewen, Rowell, Towsend, Chris Smith....

Yes, why take a chance at the next Cole Hamels or Roy Halladay (both 17th picks, I think) when you can overpay for a risky 2-win 30-year old instead?

This is the guy I wanted from the start. Strikeout/Groundball pitcher, reliably healthy, doesn't allow a lot of homers, and as one poster pointed out: has posted only one season with a FIP above 3.67 in the last 5 years.

With our defense, I think he could end up being a value at $12m/year.

Yes, why take a chance at the next Cole Hamels or Roy Halladay (both 17th picks, I think) when you can overpay for a risky 2-win 30-year old instead?

Only because that 2-win 30-year old will be hear while Chris Davis and Matt Wieters are still here. No other reason, really. Just win, baby!

You do know there are 4 players picked #17 in draft history who have as much WAR as Jiminez does right now.

I like this paragraph from MLBtraderumors:

Assuming Jimenez, does indeed land in the four-year, $48MM range, he joins several other arms to score deals of that magnitude. As MLBTR's Free Agent Tracker shows, Matt Garza (four years, $50MM) and Ricky Nolasco (four years, $49MM) both landed at that level this year, while Edwin Jackson (four years, $52MM) did the same one year ago. It would seem fair to characterize all of these starters as having their share of benefits and drawbacks, though it could be that Jimenez offers the greatest upside of any.

And the 'Stros gave Feldman 3/30. And Vargas got 4/32.

Ubaldo might be a steal.

Archived