Jimenez is an Oriole

Dipper9

Are you happy Jiminez is an Oriole  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy Jiminez is an Oriole

Bottom line we needed another SP and we got one. Jimenez could slot anywhere from in front of Tillman to between Gonzo and Norris, but regardless he will be an upgrade. Too much money and the loss of a pick, but that's what we get for dragging our feet on Arroyo.

Pretty much spot on. It's not a great contract but that's what happens when you have to dip into free agency to overcome the failings of the minor league system.

Jimenez was not my first choice but he is an upgrade and we need the depth. And the contract isn't great but if he gets hurt day one it doesn't wreck the organization either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty much spot on. It's not a great contract but that's what happens when you have to dip into free agency to overcome the failings of the minor league system.

Jimenez was not my first choice but he is an upgrade and we need the depth. And the contract isn't great but if he gets hurt day one it doesn't wreck the organization either.

It's really only Brian's money. Well, Plus a bit of Jim's.

Finally.....the Orioles become a "player"!! :eektf::clap3::2yay-thumb::thumbsup1::smile11:

I just hope they got the right guy. I had more or less givenup, but if we were going to make a deal, I was more in the Santana corner. Jiminez definitely gives us a power arm to put behind Tillman, and I really like our projected starting five - Tillman, Jiminez, Chen, Gonzales and Norris. It also makes our BP stronger because Gausman will now be in that mix.

The acquisition of international prospects this summer really helped me swallow giving up the pick. I know its been mentioned before, but in my opinion, we managed to deepen our system this Summer significantly while also acquiring the major league arm we so desperately needed. Quite the accomplishment and a big-time set of moves by DD.

Some of Jimenez's money is deferred ... Classic Peter! Classic!!

I hope that is so they can go get Morales. I am not a real fan of Jimenez, but I think Morales would be a monster bat playing half his games in OPACY. Now that you lost the first round pick, giving up the number 2 for Morales is a no brainer to me. Lets go for it, and I hope Jimenez makes me eat some crow.

I hope that is so they can go get Morales. I am not a real fan of Jimenez, but I think Morales would be a monster bat playing half his games in OPACY. Now that you lost the first round pick, giving up the number 2 for Morales is a no brainer to me. Lets go for it, and I hope Jimenez makes me eat some crow.

Adding Morales as well does seem like we are all in. September/October of 2012 I was floating on air the whole time. I want that again.

[video=youtube;y6Sxv-sUYtM]

As one of the few (the very few) who apparently don't like this contract, I'll explain.

-I hate giving up the draft pick. This organization is top heavy in terms of prospect depth. There is no replacement for having a really deep farm system but one of my few quibbles with DD's GMing style is that he throws mediocre prospects around like fodder.

-I hate the 4 years... FOUR YEARS?!? Really? This one of the most inconsistent and mechanically censured pitchers in the game today whose brief (albeit impressive) rebounding 2nd half (yes you read that right... he had a 4.56 ERA in the first half vs a 1.82 in the second half) in no way warrants the certainty of a 4 year contract. This has the potential to blow up big; and if it does, it doesn't merely ruin the season, it ruins the entire window of competition this team has over the next several years.

I've been a big supporter of DD's unique GMing style. He's done quite a few headscratchers but he's always kept the core of the organization strong by not overreacting and making bone headed decisions that could sink a ship. Well.. he just made one. This deal could turn out fine (it could even be mega huge) but DD hasn't before put the team's future on a precipice like this before.

I think that it's a fairly huge overstatement to claim one roster spot and $12M a year could lead the franchise into ruin. No team has margins that razor-thin. The Brian Roberts contract didn't shove the team into the abyss, in fact they had two winning records and a playoff appearance during that time.

Almost every team in MLB has a contract or five of this size and length and little to show for it.

As one of the few (the very few) who apparently don't like this contract, I'll explain.

-I hate giving up the draft pick. This organization is top heavy in terms of prospect depth. There is no replacement for having a really deep farm system but one of my few quibbles with DD's GMing style is that he throws mediocre prospects around like fodder.

-I hate the 4 years... FOUR YEARS?!? Really? This one of the most inconsistent and mechanically censured pitchers in the game today whose brief (albeit impressive) rebounding 2nd half (yes you read that right... he had a 4.56 ERA in the first half vs a 1.82 in the second half) in no way warrants the certainty of a 4 year contract. This has the potential to blow up big; and if it does, it doesn't merely ruin the season, it ruins the entire window of competition this team has over the next several years.

I've been a big supporter of DD's unique GMing style. He's done quite a few headscratchers but he's always kept the core of the organization strong by not overreacting and making bone headed decisions that could sink a ship. Well.. he just made one. This deal could turn out fine (it could even be mega huge) but DD hasn't before put the team's future on a precipice like this before.

I didn't like giving up the draft pick much, but I don't mind a four-year deal for a pitcher who is only 30 years old. A bad $12 mm/yr deal shouldn't kill the franchise if things work out poorly. I happen to think Jiminez has a lot of talent and we are likely to get a couple of excellent year from him, even if all four aren't excellent.

I think that it's a fairly huge overstatement to claim one roster spot and $12M a year could lead the franchise into ruin. No team has margins that razor-thin. The Brian Roberts contract didn't shove the team into the abyss, in fact they had two winning records and a playoff appearance during that time.

Almost every team in MLB has a contract or five of this size and length and little to show for it.

And we will be clearing Nick's salary and possibly JJ after this year.

I didn't like giving up the draft pick much, but I don't mind a four-year deal for a pitcher who is only 30 years old. A bad $12 mm/yr deal shouldn't kill the franchise if things work out poorly. I happen to think Jiminez has a lot of talent and we are likely to get a couple of excellent year from him, even if all four aren't excellent.

Who knows, maybe if we have a wealth of pitching in two years with Tillman, gausman, bundy, and erod with Chen and gonzo still under team control he can be flipped for some prospects and clearing additional money to supplement other parts of the roster.

Hmm. Ok. But doesn't it become a bit of a vicious cycle. We don't have a strong enough system to give the MLB club what it needs so we trade our draft pick and sign FA's who cost picks. Without high picks, our system will be unlikely to supply us the talent we need in the future -- which means more signings and things get worse.

Jimenez may work out. If it doesn't, this move itself will not crush us. But I don't like that DD talks about the importance of building a strong system and then "gives away" our two top picks and another may still be lost for Morales.

Im just not sure it is sustainable.

Archived