Phillies Showing Some Class

Tryptamine

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was going to post something similar when I saw this yesterday. Really have to wonder what they are thinking. As the piece mentions it's petty and vindictive to say the least and short sighted considering future signees.

There are a few articles now on the matter. Here's one:

http://deadspin.com/report-the-phillies-ratted-out-two-draft-picks-to-the-1526769641

Yeah, I was going to post something similar when I saw this yesterday. Really have to wonder what they are thinking. As the piece mentions it's petty and vindictive to say the least and short sighted considering future signees.

There are a few articles now on the matter. Here's one:

http://deadspin.com/report-the-phillies-ratted-out-two-draft-picks-to-the-1526769641

I think it will have as close to 0 impact on future draftees as is mathematically possible.

I think it will have as close to 0 impact on future draftees as is mathematically possible.

I suppose that is true. If a team has the rights to a player it really is up to the player to accept or decline any offer, but their actions don't reflect well on the organization.

I disagree. I think that this will cause agents to advise their clients to return to college if drafted by the Phillies, rather than try to negotiate a contract, since it is clear that the Phillies will not bargain in good faith. Despicable, really.

I disagree. I think that this will cause agents to advise their clients to return to college if drafted by the Phillies, rather than try to negotiate a contract, since it is clear that the Phillies will not bargain in good faith. Despicable, really.

if MLB had a real commish, and the Phillies get their hand slapped as they deserved, then this won't be repeated, but, since that won't happen, then, it will repeat itself.

if MLB had a real commish, and the Phillies get their hand slapped as they deserved, then this won't be repeated, but, since that won't happen, then, it will repeat itself.

Huh?

The kids, and their agents, are technically in the wrong here.

Sure the Phillies are being jerks about it but why would a commissioner get involved?

The real problem here is the NCAA rules.

Huh?

The kids, and their agents, are technically in the wrong here.

Sure the Phillies are being jerks about it but why would a commissioner get involved?

The real problem here is the NCAA rules.

Yes, the NCAA rule is the root problem, but the rule exists and the Phillies bargained in bad faith. Again, any adviser will surely advise any college junior chosen by the Phillies that the Phillies won't bargain fairly, so they should go back to school without talking to the Phillies. I'm having trouble understanding how you can disagree with that. The Phillies actions were pretty underhanded.

Archived