Phillies Showing Some Class

Tryptamine

So the Phillies rat on two unsigned players who used agents in negotiations but didn't rat out even one signed player who used an agent in negotiations. Hmmmm. That's pretty laughable to believe only the two unsigned players used agents. That's the height of hypocrisy. The NCAA rules are stupid, yes but the Phillies look bad for doing this, IMO.

This isn't to defend Philly in the least, but, if the players signed the NCAA has no jurisdiction over any aspect of the player's life. What good would it do to rate out players that are now in pro ball? They lost their eligibility when they signed -- nothing else the NCAA could do to them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huh?

The kids, and their agents, are technically in the wrong here.

Sure the Phillies are being jerks about it but why would a commissioner get involved?

The real problem here is the NCAA rules.

The kids and the agents aren't in the wrong here. Every draftee has an Agent or some type of adviser who takes a cut. You think Gausman got his deal by doing all the work himself? Nah, he had an agent and if he didn't sign with the O's he'd finish up at LSU and be in the same situation as those guys.

It's a MLB problem. NCAA is for student Athletes. Once you get drafted and enter into contract talks, you are not a student anymore. Thus NCAA should change their rules for guys who want to leave before their 4/5 years are up?

So there has to be a "middle" ground. MLB and NCAA could strike a deal something like this..Players union should have a 3rd party adviser for draftees which is payed for by Players union for the first contract. Basically making the services free to the players.

If the contract talks fall through then the player is not subject to NCAA rules on Agents because they aren't getting a quid pro quo.

Also, Selig should be involved because it's an unspoken rule not to break. Don't out a drafted player who you fail to sign with. You know, NCAA and other teams know this is what happens. So as long as it's not talked about "no rules" were broken. But Phillies blew that out of the water out of spite. So they should lose a draft pick in the 6th or 7th round.

Of course the kids are in the wrong. If a silly law exists and you break it you still broke the law. People in your town may jaywalk all the time, doesn't mean you didn't break the law when the cop actually stops you for jaywalking.

As long as the NCAA has rules like that in place then players do risk something when they break them.

Of course the kids are in the wrong. If a silly law exists and you break it you still broke the law. People in your town may jaywalk all the time, doesn't mean you didn't break the law when the cop actually stops you for jaywalking.

As long as the NCAA has rules like that in place then players do risk something when they break them.

You only broke the law if you get caught. These guys were ratted out by vindictive FO in Philly. Huge difference.

You only broke the law if you get caught. These guys were ratted out by vindictive FO in Philly. Huge difference.

No, you broke the law regardless of if you got caught or not.

If I were to go set a house on fire for the insurance money and got away with it are you saying I am not an arsonist? Or I wouldn't have been an arsonist but that one little old lady saw me and ratted me out?

Are you saying Jerry Sandusky wasn't a pedophile until he got caught?

You are making less sense today then you did yesterday.

They knowingly broke the rules.

No, you broke the law regardless of if you got caught or not.

If I were to go set a house on fire for the insurance money and got away with it are you saying I am not an arsonist? Or I wouldn't have been an arsonist but that one little old lady saw me and ratted me out?

Are you saying Jerry Sandusky wasn't a pedophile until he got caught?

You are making less sense today then you did yesterday.

They knowingly broke the rules.

No, this isn't a law but guideline/rules set by the monopoly that is the NCAA. So it's not akin to arson or Jerry Sandusky who the NCAA had no cause to get involved in but did. But that's a different topic.

Rules aren't laws. Rules are a standard set for activities. Laws are inflexible, rules are flexible especially the agent one which Johnny Football got to skate by on last year. This is also one rule the MLB ignores reporting as every college kid is guilty of it. Matt Weiters had Boras when he entered the draft. You think Boras took him on as freebie? Absolutely not.

But laws themselves require witnesses and probable cause.. then evidence. In your case you give about arson, they would have to prove you did it on purpose in a court of law.

So breaking the law is not equatable to being guilty under the law.

They knowingly violated rules and should not be surprised they have to face the consequences of their actions. (btw one got off and the other only got suspended for 20% of the season)

If the O's have a no facial hair policy and Nick comes back from the all star break with a goatee should he not expect punishment? If I was still in the Army and got a neck tattoo should I not expect punishment?

You are the one who said no law was broken if you don't get caught, I was just showing you how outrageous that view is.

They knowingly violated rules and should not be surprised they have to face the consequences of their actions. (btw one got off and the other only got suspended for 20% of the season)

NCAA rules for baseball: player can speak to an advisor, but cannot have the advisor speak to the team.

It could have been the advisor called the team. That'll get you "nicked". So the player may have had nothing to do with it. :scratchchinhmm:

Been in a college draftee position myself back in 2004.

If the O's have a no facial hair policy and Nick comes back from the all star break with a goatee should he not expect punishment? If I was still in the Army and got a neck tattoo should I not expect punishment?

Nah, O's facial policy is pretty lax. Nick has had a goatee couple of times playing already. He also plays with 5'o clock shadow alot as well.

LOL, Army and neck tattoos, seriously? Army Regs fall under the UCMJ code of punishment, mainly Article 15. So this is an apples or oranges.

You are the one who said no law was broken if you don't get caught, I was just showing you how outrageous that view is.

It's the truth. If you aren't caught, it didn't happen. You talk about jaywalkers. Happens all the time. How many times are people caught? How about drunk drivers, drug users, tax cheats and so on.

These actions happen all the time. If not caught, the crime is not reported. It doesn't count against statistics put out by your LEO or Sheriff (who might be your LEO) State or Federal cause they couldn't prove it happened.

NCAA rules for baseball: player can speak to an advisor, but cannot have the advisor speak to the team.

It could have been the advisor called the team. That'll get you "nicked". So the player may have had nothing to do with it. :scratchchinhmm:

Been in a college draftee position myself back in 2004.

Nah, O's facial policy is pretty lax. Nick has had a goatee couple of times playing already. He also plays with 5'o clock shadow alot as well.

LOL, Army and neck tattoos, seriously? Army Regs fall under the UCMJ code of punishment, mainly Article 15. So this is an apples or oranges.

It's the truth. If you aren't caught, it didn't happen. You talk about jaywalkers. Happens all the time. How many times are people caught? How about drunk drivers, drug users, tax cheats and so on.

These actions happen all the time. If not caught, the crime is not reported. It doesn't count against statistics put out by your LEO or Sheriff (who might be your LEO) State or Federal cause they couldn't prove it happened.

That was when the O's suspended the policy, you know, after PA's man crush Vlad finally agreed to accept his money.

The Army thing was just a practical example from my life, if you have rules for employment, or scholarship, or participation in a club, and you break those rules, then you can be punished. Even if the rules are foolish. (as long as they are lawful, which isn't in question here)

That was when the O's suspended the policy, you know, after PA's man crush Vlad finally agreed to accept his money.

The Army thing was just a practical example from my life, if you have rules for employment, or scholarship, or participation in a club, and you break those rules, then you can be punished. Even if the rules are foolish. (as long as they are lawful, which isn't in question here)

Legality is absolutely in question, which is why Andy Oliver sued the NCAA over these rules and his suspension (accepting a settlement).

Archived