Even after big Jimenez signing, Orioles have remained in contact with Ervin Santana.

Greg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why they'd wanna give a lot of money to a pitcher who gives up a ton of homers. Put him in Camden and the AL East, and he might break his career high HRs given up in a season, 39.

Give me Morales.

Of the last 4 seasons, HRs were a problem just once. In the last 3 years, he added a sinker to his repertoire, and significantly improved his GB rates.

Yeah I mean, another big multi-year deal on the books would have me worried that they are really punting on Chris Davis.

Not necessarily. Remember, Nick is off the books next season.

I still expect them to either deal Wieters or just let him play his contract out.

Of the last 4 seasons, HRs were a problem just once. In the last 3 years, he added a sinker to his repertoire, and significantly improved his GB rates.

Perfect fit for our defense. I would love the depth this move would bring.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have heard a bunch of no's in regards to Santana and the Os. Rumors could be a product of a limited market.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">February 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ervin and company probably trying to get the Blue Jays to pony up the dough if that's the case

The gap between Morales and the rest of our DH candidates is much much larger than the gap between Santana and Norris. Plus, it doesn't seem like a good idea to commit to two $10M+ per year pitchers for the next 3/4 years when we already have Tillman and Gonzalez locked up for the next four years, Chen and Norris locked up for the next two years if we want them, and Gausman/Bundy/Rodriguez and more hopefully involved in the mix very soon. Even if this were the prelude to a trade, I don't think I would like it. And the same would have been true if we signed Santana last week instead of Jimenez, and were now talking about possibly adding Jimenez.

Anyway, despite saying all that, I really doubt this comes true. Only way I can see it happening is if we whiff on Cruz and Morales and DD thinks there's a very good opportunity in the trade market using some of our pitchers. But I still think the odds look good for us landing Morales.

Intriguing possibility, but I'm not going to even entertain it based on Roch's posts. Here's what happened...

Santana's people are telling others that the O's are still in on him.

Another team (possibly the Jays), decided to smoke them out. They leaked that the O's are in on him in order to get a reaction from the O's.

The O's obliged, and Santana's negotiating position is now weakened.

The industry source isn't Santana's agent, it's the team he'll end up going to.

Archived