Even after big Jimenez signing, Orioles have remained in contact with Ervin Santana.

Greg

Would be great. I don't see a "surplus of arms" at all if they sign Santana. It bumps Norris to next in line, which is a solid, reliable fall back if there is an injury or performance issue. But after that, for a team that is supposed to contend, there is nobody else you can reasonably rely on in a year you are going for broke. There is no surplus, all the others after those six are question marks. Would be a good move.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette">@Jim_Duquette</a> Jim are the O's still in on Ervin</p>— Greg (@OriolesChiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/OriolesChiefs/statuses/436904110655541248'>https://twitter.com/OriolesChiefs/statuses/436904110655541248">February 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/OriolesChiefs">@OriolesChiefs</a> yes they are</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette/statuses/436905517001498624">February 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Having more talent creates more roster flexibility and trade options. Signing Santana could enable us to trade Morris, Chen, MGon and even Gausman as long as the return is appropriate. Dealing Gausman for a like-kind hitting prospect would be an interesting thought.

I think sending out five quality starters (Jimenez, Santana, Tillman, MGon, Chen) limits losing streaks and extends winning streaks. The team would simply be competitive in more games.

It seems highly unlikely.

Agreed. The more that I read up on the injury, the scarier it sounds...even though he's thrown almost 1,000 ML innings since the injury was diagnosed.

I imagine the injury is just part of the calculus. If the price drops far enough, maybe the Orioles are in. Maybe they get him to agree to significant performance incentives (i.e., money tied to innings pitched). Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Interesting stuff to consider, regardless.

It makes a lot of sense to tell Santana's agent, "Look- here is our best offer (whatever that might be). We already signed Ubaldo, and we are comfortable with what we have. But Ervin would be a nice addition and we think this is a fair value. Unless you hear otherwise this offer is on the table."

Do that just to make sure the market doesn't dry up enough to make the Blue Jays jump back in. In the meantime, continue working on Morales, and pull Santana's offer if you need to once Morales is in the fold.

I believe Roch just tells us what the Warehouse tells him because that's his easiest source, but he certainly adds his own opinion. He broke Jimenez and has been writing that he thinks the O's should sign Morales.
He broke the Jimenez signing because the warehouse wanted him to. One of the main reasons I was sure it was a done deal, including the physical, was because Roch broke it. If there were any questions he wouldn't have been told anything. As to Roch's own opinions I don't give much credence to them. He doesn't strike me as being all that baseball savvy.

Archived