Buck is The Man: Makes Josh Hart write paper on Frank Robinson

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He finished the report. Attaboy.
Hart had no idea that Showalter was walking out the door with Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, who had been invited to address the team earlier in the day.

Showalter introduced them and gave Hart a homework assignment. Write a one-page paper on Robinson and have it on his desk within 24 hours. E-mails were not allowed.

The intent was to educate Hart, not punish him.

"I wasn't nervous at all, but I knew he was serious," Hart said this afternoon. "He's a serious man. He takes his job as strictly business and I respect that. Whatever he says, it's done, and that's a big plus. You've got to show him respect all the way.

"I took it as, I figured it was a compliment that he wanted me to do research. (Robinson) played for the Orioles and played in four World Series. That's just history down the line."

Hart, the Orioles' supplemental pick in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft out of Parkview High School in Lilburn, Ga., finished the paper yesterday, way ahead of Showalter's deadline. It remains in his possession because he spent today at the Twin Lakes Park complex.

Hart found out the day before that he would work out at the major league camp. He wasn't present for Robinson's talk in the clubhouse, "but I'm pretty sure there was vital information," he said.

Gathering information on Robinson's career proved to be a simple task.

"He's all over the place. His name is worldwide," Hart said. "Google and Wikipedia helped me a lot."

Hart wasn't completely oblivious to Robinson's accomplishments. He just needed more facts.

"I knew he was a Hall of Famer, but specifically, I didn't know anything about him, but I did my research and he's accomplished a lot," Hart said. "To be a manager and player at the same time, a 14-time All-Star, win Most Valuable Player in the National League and American League, that's an accomplishment. That's walking proof that he's legendary."

Hart doesn't know when he'll be invited back to the major league camp, but he'll have his homework assignment ready for Showalter.

"The next time I see him, that paper is going on his desk," Hart said. "As soon as I walk in."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/02/josh-hart-finishes-his-assignment-on-frank-robinson.html

I wouldn't say that it's embarrassing not to know details about a player that played decades before you. I would say that it's a learning experience and a chance to find out more about the history of the game. Good for the kid for getting it done.

I wouldn't say that it's embarrassing not to know details about a player that played decades before you. I would say that it's a learning experience and a chance to find out more about the history of the game. Good for the kid for getting it done.

I agree. It's ridiculous to think Buck did this to embarrass him nor did Hart take it that way. It's only the people who are always looking for some kind issue that are voicing concerns that the "poor kid" was embarrassed publicly. It was an interesting story that the local media ran with. Hart is a young man who handled this with class and maturity and understood whatShowalter was trying to accomplish.

There is nothing but good in this and it's sad that anyone could try and turn this around. Unfortunately there is a victim mentality in this country and some are always trying to find a victim even when there is not one.

Archived