A rumor floating that the Orioles still have a move.

weams

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still think they will add a vetern catcher that has major league experience. Clevnger has not beeen known for his defense and Buck always likes the back up to be more defensive type catcher as the backup.

I think you are right but I am a Clevenger fan. My friend knows him and his family. I feel like they are harder on their backup catcher than most folks are on there daughter's boyfriends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest rochester

IMO, the only thing we should be considering is if there is a way to improve pitching. Second, we need to start thinking about minimizing the risks of losing the picks with other teams prospects, which most likely means lower to mid level...

I don't know what to believe here but with all this late February activity, I'm certain fans won't throw the towel in so soon next off season.

Though I'm glad we got Jimenez, I don't think that the way this offseason unfolded is really the result of some "master plan." I think the O's tried to slow-play everyone, and lost out on their preferred targets. Thankfully, as the board became thinner and thinner, the O's did what they had to in order to sign Jimenez, who just so happened to be higher on some wish lists (like mine) than guys like Arroyo.

If the O's had signed Balfour, maybe they still sign Jimenez, but I don't think that'd be likely. And they almost certainly wouldn't sign Jimenez AND Cruz.

In short, I'm satisfied with the offseason. That doesn't mean I think the O's have laid out a blueprint I want to see them follow every year, though.

I thought this was surprising. He certainly could have cracked a MLB roster this year. He probably would have had to settle for a minor league deal to prove he's healthy, but it's not like he's completely washed up.

Maybe he wanted to experience another culture. No shortage of ex-O's over there.

The Orioles could absolutely use a left-handed bat. I would guess it could have something to do with Ike Davis, who would slot in as the LH half of a platoon at DH, pushing Cruz to LF and Lough to the bench.

Career Splits vs. RHP

Wieters .244/.309/.393/.702

Hardy .257/.303/.413/.716

Lough .277/.307/.393/.700

Flaherty .220/.282/.376/.658

Meanwhile...

Ike Davis .256/.356/.471/.827

He would be a terrific option as a bat off the bench, which we severely lack from the left side.

However, I'm not sure if sacrificing Lough's defense in LF is worth it for the small increase and lack of flexibility on the bench.

However, I'm not sure if sacrificing Lough's defense in LF is worth it for the small increase and lack of flexibility on the bench.

It definitely wouldn't, in my mind. I would much rather have Lough in LF and Cruz in DH, as opposed to Cruz in LF and Ike Davis at DH. For a team that values defense as much as the Orioles, you don't want to put a liability like Cruz in the outfield every day. And you'd barely be getting an offensive upgrade from Lough to Ike Davis.

Archived