A rumor floating that the Orioles still have a move.

weams

Dan needs to stay busy:

1) Get an experienced closer.

2) Extend Hardy

3) Then extend Davis

3a) Then extend Manny

4) Then extend Wieters

I don't want to hear the O's can afford it. He has broken a few rules by signing a 4 year contract with a FA starter and signing a taboo FA hitter. Now break some new ground and put this two year window stuff to bed.

Oh, and on the side trade Chris Jones and later Britton for minor league depth.

I'd rather lock up Manny first before Wieters.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually-on second thought-let me ask people smarter than myself this question: who is more valuable: Troy Patton or Oliver Perez? Could you get anything for Patton?

I don't know that we have a LOT of more valuable LHP, and I'm not sure exactly how the organization feels about Patton at this point, after getting in trouble yet again.

Manny can't go anywhere for a long, long time. The window to sign Wieters is right now. The urgency is to lock up Wieters now if that is what the O's are going to do.

I'm in the camp that we can't/won't keep both Davis & Wieters. I'm all for going Atlanta-like on the rest of the guys.

No, but weams is right. The whining about the Orioles' inactivity seemingly begins the very first day that players are free agent eligible. But first isn't always best. Sometimes it is, but good deals come when they come, and bargains certainly don't tend to happen early, for obvious reasons.

You're right. I can't help but notice that a few posters who racked up hundreds of posts ripping into the Orioles are mysteriously absent since the Ubaldo signing.

I'm in the camp that we can't/won't keep both Davis & Wieters. I'm all for going Atlanta-like on the rest of the guys.

Nothing wrong with the Atlanta approach. But in the O's case, what happens to the extending or not extending of Hardy, Davis and Wieters in the near term changes the team's direction in the next year and for a long time to come. Waiting a year to extend Manny has very little impact it would seem.

If you don't think the new stadium is a huge factor in the decision to extend these players then I don't know what to tell you.

You could have said the same about Miami though too. They tried doing the same through free agency and trades and it blew up in their faces.

Archived