CSN: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

Tony-OH

Albert Belle wasn't a bad signing. He gets a bad wrap for his personality, but given the insurance, his contract wasn't a problem. Until Tejada showed up, he was the only chance we had at an MVP player between 96 and 2004 (those years are guesses?).

For me, the worst was the BRob extension. I said at the time it was moronic, and it didn't take long for it to be proven. Some people thought it was good because he was a fan favorite, or maybe because we "owed" it to him because he was the lone bright spot on some bad teams, but those people are dumb.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay Payton is a sensible one. $9.5M over 2 years to a 34-year-old corner OF on a theoretically rebuilding franchise. He produced 0.8 WAR total.

I thought Garrett Atkins was a reasonable guy to take a flyer on. $4M was too much, though. And he undeniably sucked.

I have trouble seeing Albert Belle's deal as that bad. He didn't have an extensive injury history, and the deal covered ages 32-36. There's always some risk associated with players over 30, but that's what insurance is for, right?

Worst signing: Reggie. Worst trade, arguably, as well. The Orioles should have let him sit out the entire year instead of paying him, what was at that time, a king's ransom for part of a season.

After the (1976) season ended, both Jackson and Baylor signed long-term, free-agent contracts with the Yankees and the Angels, respectively. Jackson got $2.96 Million for 5 years from the Yankees, which made him the highest player in baseball history at the time.

In the end, we essentially replaced Don Baylor with Reggie Jackson for that one season. Baylor, like Jackson, had eyes on getting much more money than either Hank Peters or Charlie O. Finley would have been willing to dish out for 1977, so ultimately, Baylor for Jackson was essentially an even swap for players that had similar years in 1976.

IMO, can't blame Belle or the Os for a degenerative condition. Also, not sure of the relevance of Belle denouncing a reporter to whether the contract was bad or not - seems like Dubroff is twisting the very knife he is critical of Belle for using.

I think the bad contracts that were DOA upon signing were Erickson, Ponson, Gibbons, Segui and the second Mora contract.

Now, the Os could have dealt Erickson at the deadline before his last season and Thrift wanted prospects instead of just dumping Erickson (per Peter Gammons) who got hurt again in his last year.

I've always hated the second Mora contract. AM should have let Mora go or trade him. Mora produced 12 WAR for a little over $10M in the three years of his prior contract, but then Mora went directly to the owner and was paid $23.5M to produce 4 WAR.

Jay Payton was never going to justify his contract as soon as it was signed.

This list of contracts that were bad for the Orioles only includes Albert Belle because he was an ass and because he did not play for so much of the contract. The O's insurance and his production when he was on the field do not in any way warrant this contract in the top 5.

After the (1976) season ended, both Jackson and Baylor signed long-term, free-agent contracts with the Yankees and the Angels, respectively. Jackson got $2.96 Million for 5 years from the Yankees, which made him the highest player in baseball history at the time.

In the end, we essentially replaced Don Baylor with Reggie Jackson for that one season. Baylor, like Jackson, had eyes on getting much more money than either Hank Peters or Charlie O. Finley would have been willing to dish out for 1977, so ultimately, Baylor for Jackson was essentially an even swap for players that had similar years in 1976.

Baylor CRIED when he was traded. He would have signed with the Orioles to stay in the organization.

Baylor CRIED when he was traded. He would have signed with the Orioles to stay in the organization.

As a completely unrestricted free agent, Baylor could have signed with any team in the majors in 1977, including the Orioles. He chose the Angels, who were offering (and gave him) considerably more money. If he was that upset over being an ex-Oriole, he could have have come back. He didn't. Those are the facts, and anything else is just speculation.

Who gives a EFF about 'surly' (Besides megalomaniacal sportswriters).

Some fans (like me, although not to the extent of CindylovesBrady) form emotional attachments to players on their teams. I don't want to being trying to like a player like Belle. I had less of a problem with Albert Pujols, but I didn't like the surly side of his nature either.

For you, Belle's attempt to run over pranksters in his Cleveland neighborhood may have been irrelevant. It wasn't for me. I disliked the signing at the time and I haven't changed my opinion. However, Belle's hip problems didn't make that worse; on the contrary, the engendered a certain amount of sympathy.

Can we count hiring (and keeping) Syd Thrift as director of baseball operations?

Good deal. For as bad as Angelos was at that time, I truly don't think people comprehend how bad Thrift was and how much his decision making set this team back years. The 2000 fire sale practically torpedoed the franchise in and of itself.

Good deal. For as bad as Angelos was at that time, I truly don't think people comprehend how bad Thrift was and how much his decision making set this team back years. The 2000 fire sale practically torpedoed the franchise in and of itself.

While Beane was inventing Moneyball Syd was calling teams to inquire about players they'd traded a year ago.

Archived