Minor Leaguers as the Working Poor

weams

Guest rochester
This is, of course, assuming that people make good choices and mistakes never get made.

But this is the real world and humans tend to be remarkably stupid from time to time, especially when one is 19, and aspiring athlete, and sex is involved. It is easy for us to sit here and say "he made crappy choices deal with it." And I get that and don't disagree with it - but it doesn't make it go away. We can't make everyone who makes bad decisions go off and live on bad decision island - they are here and so are the consequences of their decision.

Either the multi-billion dollar company pays them more or I pay for them through government subsidies. I'd rather the multi-billion dollar company do it.

Which, of course, gets passed on to us...

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which kind of sets a floor below which nobody will employ someone. There are activities that need to be done that don't generate enough revenue to pay a decent wage. How do those things get done without mandating businesses operate at a loss?

Lew Ford is back in the Independent Leagues

Yeah, I know we're flirting with politics here, but I don't buy into the "living wage" argument. Maybe you can force baseball to do this because of their unique circumstances but in general that's a failed economic policy imo. Also, don't minor leaguers receive housing/travel and meal allowances? Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Q. What do Minor League players earn?

A. Minor League Baseball player contracts are handled by the Major League Baseball office. Here are the salary ranges:

First contract season: $1,100/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation.

Alien Salary Rates: Different for aliens on visas as mandated by INS (the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service).

Meal Money: $25 per day at all levels, while on the road.

That was from miLB.com

BTW, according to a quick craigslist search the it looks like the cheapest rent for a one-bedroom apt in Aberdeen, MD is about $700/ month. And that is only in-season apparently, I had no idea they are only paid in-season.

$1,100 a month of course does not include taxes and agent's fees taken out. So we are talking less than $500/ 2 weeks after all is said and done. Yeah, I get it they are ball players - sure, but come on that is kinda ridiculous.

Yes they are a million times better than the average dude...at playing baseball. My wife didn't get paid when she was in medical school, we actually got the pleasure to pay the institution. Maybe the players should start to pony up for their minor league training and honing their "skills" to help fund the Orioles. Take loans out if you need to boys!

I read somewhere that (probably Blue Crabs) players get about $15 a day in meal money, but are required to pay about $12 a day to the clubhouse guy for the pregame spread of cold cuts and peanut butter.

Isn't a ballplayer paid a salary? In that case, hourly wages would not apply. Nor would only 2 weeks vacation, small amount of sick leave, etc. I am not arguing for or against whether they get compensated properly, but, IMO, comparing this issue with hourly McDonalds workers is apples & oranges.

Yeah, it is apples and oranges imo. In many cases the permanent low wage employees at fast food restaurants (that aren't transitional i.e. students/part time etc) probably lack even a high school education. I would guess most of these minor leaguers have at least a high school diploma with many having completed some or all of college. It should be a lot easier for these guys to transition. Many of them probably receive financial support from their parents to pursue this. Unlike the real working poor, these guys are generally there by choice and not by necessity.

Guest rochester

Bottom line is that a ballplayer does have a choice - is it a good risk for them and/or their family? Probably not. But, they do have a choice. What about the small business owner who is suffering from an economic downturn - should we subsidize the business so he/she has a baseline wage and the business stays solvent so good wages can be paid to the employees?

Maybe the analogy is not perfect but, at the same time, they both are taking risks that they are not forced to. There are (literally) millions in the country that are homeless, which is completely disgusting - there are tens of millions that are working and remain under the poverty level or working multi-jobs. These are the folks I am concerned about.

Silent James said no subsides.

That logic is terrible then because there are a ton of professions that are clearly necessary (military, police, fire department, for example) but provide no direct revenue, or at least not enough to support themselves. (yeah I know police semi-subsidize themselves with speeding tickets but thats not the point.)

That logic is terrible then because there are a ton of professions that are clearly necessary (military, police, fire department, for example) but provide no direct revenue, or at least not enough to support themselves. (yeah I know police semi-subsidize themselves with speeding tickets but thats not the point.)

Well, if they let the Army loot like in the good old days...(no slave taking tho, there are limits)

That was from miLB.com

BTW, according to a quick craigslist search the it looks like the cheapest rent for a one-bedroom apt in Aberdeen, MD is about $700/ month. And that is only in-season apparently, I had no idea they are only paid in-season.

$1,100 a month of course does not include taxes and agent's fees taken out. So we are talking less than $500/ 2 weeks after all is said and done. Yeah, I get it they are ball players - sure, but come on that is kinda ridiculous.

Well, it doesn't mention housing/travel allowance. I can eat for a lot less than 25 dollars a day (even if this is only the road where I'm sure they get a hotel room). You can also rent a room instead of getting your own apartment etc. I have been poor. When in college, I used to give blood plasma for food. I used to eat free lunch with the Hare Krishna's. I can go on. If you don't have a family you can live on the money they are paying. This is the minimum for the first year. Guys need to be smarter about if this is going to work out or not. A mediocre low level minor leaguer isn't meant to be a permanent profession.

Well, if they let the Army loot like in the good old days...(no slave taking tho, there are limits)

In US history I wrote a paper suggesting financing post-Civil War Reconstruction by sending the army to take over and then plunder Mexico. I got a C+. It was a group project and I was drafted to write the paper, so I wasn't too bitter... lazy bums.

Which, of course, gets passed on to us...

Yeah, this is correct. Certainly on the macro scale. I was going to say this myself and from what I've read, subsidies are generally more efficient for employment/productivity. We could probably get of on a whole other tangent on corporate taxes and individual companies I guess.

Archived