Minor Leaguers as the Working Poor

weams

If you don't like what you're getting paid go do something else. It's really pretty simple.

That's fine...then let all of the players in the MiLs (at least those that didn't sign huge multi-year bonus-baby contracts) to become free agents after each season and allow them sell their services to the highest bidder.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone ever heard of a young minor league player complaining over this? The system is set up for attrition where the ones that realize they are not going to make leave and go get better paying jobs in order for the next player to come in and give it there try.

No one is forced to play a game for a living. These players choose this lifestyle and the pay or lack thereof that comes with it while in the minors. I've talked with 100s of minor leaguers and not one complained of the lifestyle. They were living out a dream but yes, at some point they have to decide whether they need better paying jobs to support their lifestyle or families.

This allows for more open jobs for the next group of young men to live that dream. If the salaries were making them live a terrible lifestyle then less people would want those jobs. Last time I checked, there is no shortage of young men willing to work for these wages while chasing a dream.

The minors exist for no other reason then to produce major league baseball players. No one plays minor league baseball for the money.

Attrition is going to happen no matter what. It is caused by new players coming of age every year and really producing players that become higher level players is the overriding goal, not producing the best teams. The attrition will continue because players will get cut when they are identified as having no chance to make room for the next guy that might develop into a MLB player. Are you really arguing that the players are not going to be hungry if they make 15-20k per year? It really is not about if the players are willing, it is about a social responsibility that accrues with the exemption from antitrust law. I think there is a responsibility. There is no compelling reason not to require the MLB to be socially responsible in this situation. It is literally no money in the world of baseball. I am OK with some of this pay is given in housing and food. Really I don't understand why ML teams don't set up dorms for the complex leagues, maybe even single A leagues.

This isn't like basketball where there are good financial alternatives elsewhere in the world. I'm not sure that the asian countries provide an alternative - do they have quotas on how many non-natives can be on each team?

Yes. There are quotas. I know Japanese teams only bring in imports above a certain level. If you are making $800 a month in the Sally League you're not going to Japan.

Is there an outcry from minor league players for more money? Is this even an issue? If the players are happy the way things are, playing basically for getting a shot at grasping the MLB brass ring, where is the problem? They enter into it with their eyes open and they know that the money isn't there unless they make it to the show, right?

Is there an outcry from minor league players for more money? Is this even an issue? If the players are happy the way things are, playing basically for getting a shot at grasping the MLB brass ring, where is the problem? They enter into it with their eyes open and they know that the money isn't there unless they make it to the show, right?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/three-former-minor-leaguers-file-a-class-action-suit-against-major-league-baseball-over-low-wages/

3 minor leaguer players filed suit over it.

I'd argue we don't even know that. We only know the minimum a player can make in his first year without a clear picture if there are additional allowances (other than food perdiem on the road). There are plenty of guys who seam to make a career at being career minor leaguers (probably de facto coaches), so I'm guessing there is quite a bit more to it here.

All things being equal, I would guess the average kid in Southern California will relate better to the spanish speaking South American player than the english speaking white player.

I think NJ BIRD FAN doesn't relate to players who might look out of place on the 1954 Orioles. And most folks think they're in the majority.

I'd argue we don't even know that. We only know the minimum a player can make in his first year without a clear picture if there are additional allowances (other than food perdiem on the road). There are plenty of guys who seam to make a career at being career minor leaguers (probably de facto coaches), so I'm guessing there is quite a bit more to it here.

I think the AAA lifers like Darnell McDonald or Rick Short make $50k or $75k a year by their 30s and can live on that. The iffy conditions are really the 21-year-old 17th-round picks making $1000 a month in low A, eating McDonalds three meals a day and sleeping six to an apartment.

I think the AAA lifers like Darnell McDonald or Rick Short make $50k or $75k a year by their 30s and can live on that. The iffy conditions are really the 21-year-old 17th-round picks making $1000 a month in low A, eating McDonalds three meals a day and sleeping six to an apartment.

Sounds like college.....with more money..

Sounds like college.....with more money..

Yea. But wouldn't you think MLB, which stakes its future on these guys, would want them doing better than sleeping on the floor and eating crap?

Actually, what amazes me is that MLB thinks paying for a vast system of hundreds of fake baseball teams employing thousands of guys who will never play a single MLB game is the best way to develop talent.

Minor league catcher probably is the best career move. Always need those more experienced guys to catch the young studs and you always have a Spring Training job. Like .... Bull Durham.

Archived