Minor Leaguers as the Working Poor

weams

Wouldn't that be cutting off their nose to spite their face?

Why? I think we can agree that the clear majority of every minor league team is filler. They would just be increasing the density of real prospects.

Of course those late round guys and low $ international signings that make it despite the odds will now face a much harder struggle.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then, let it go where it will. As much as people whine about baseball's antitrust exemption, you'd think somebody would have actually challenged it in the last 42 years. Maybe it should be the minor leaguers.

I think eliminating half the minor league teams in this country makes our world a lesser place.

Why? I think we can agree that the clear majority of every minor league team is filler. They would just be increasing the density of real prospects.

Of course those late round guys and low $ international signings that make it despite the odds will now face a much harder struggle.

They need the filler to develop the players with potential, and at the lower levels they aren't all that sure which is which. They would have cut back already and saved the money, if it would have been that expedient. They wouldn't be spending that much more money to raise the standard at the lowest level, but cutting back the numbers might very well lead to a lesser product at the ML level.

This is such liberal cocktail party crap. MLB has no competition within the baseball world, to imply otherwise is stupid. You can try and make the implication that this is a racial issue. It is not and you are less of a person then I thought you were to imply such. It is a business issue. A marketing issue. A marketing issue as it pertains MLB's core fan base. Which happens to be American at this time. Your Polly Anna view, lets all sing cum-by-ya, wearing our beret's is complete an utter hogwash. There is one reason for the influx in foreign born players in MLB. One. Cheap Labor. That is how it started. To deny it, would make me lose even more respect for you.

I don't know what you are singing, but I'll sing Kumbaya. Seems a lot less ponographic! ;)

Unfortunately I don't own a beret. It's awful, I go to these liberal cocktail parties wearing an O's hat, or a stocking cap, or maybe that old Cody Nite Rodeo cap of mine and everyone just kind of averts their eyes and shakes their heads. It's depressing, really.

I normally go to my liberal cocktail parties wearing a beret as well, but the second "cum-by-ya" breaks out, I leave! :D

I think eliminating half the minor league teams in this country makes our world a lesser place.

I think that is the nut of the whole thing. Do the benefits of the exemption...like an expansive minor league system outweigh the potential downsides like suppressed wages for minor leaguers? Now that is a political question.

While I agree that playing MiL baseball is a choice for all involved, one that they can leave at any time, I don't think drawing parallels to waitpersons, musicians, college professor (or almost any other profession) is valid. For all of the aforementioned occupations (other than baseball) the employed has the opportunity (and the choice) to move to a different company/organization if the pay/location/working conditions are better. For example, the waitperson (who wants to be an actor) may start at a diner, move up to the Cheesecake Factory and then to Spago if their skills develop and the desire to make the move (they have the ability to solicit alternative offers and make their own decision). MiL ball players are employees who, if they want to continue to play baseball, have no other options but to remain within the same closed structure - no opportunity to solicit alternative offers from alternatives "baseball" companies.

Like in any other business, baseball players have to prove they have the talent and skills necessary to earn a promotion and make more money. MiLB players do have the opportunity to solicit offers from other "baseball companies." A player has 3 years to show he has the talent to make the ML team's 40-man roster. If he doesn't, he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft and can be taken by another team....and be on a ML roster. If he makes the 40-man, the ML team has control for 3 more years. After 6 years, he becomes a free agent and can sell his talent and skill set to whoever will hire him.

Like in any other business, baseball players have to prove they have the talent and skills necessary to earn a promotion and make more money. MiLB players do have the opportunity to solicit offers from other "baseball companies." A player has 3 years to show he has the talent to make the ML team's 40-man roster. If he doesn't, he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft and can be taken by another team....and be on a ML roster. If he makes the 40-man, the ML team has control for 3 more years. After 6 years, he becomes a free agent and can sell his talent and skill set to whoever will hire him.

Great you described the indentured servitude well. Baseball works well with this type of deal just make the masters feed the slaves and the system is fine. It is unlike almost any other business in that they own players for a very long period of time, with ownership comes responsibilities.

Guest rochester
Then you have no problem with everyone other than Cliff Lee playing for the Yankees.

I was talking about minor league players. What made me think twice is the fact that they do not have a choice where they play. I am not advocating forcing better wages but I believe flosman made a good point regarding his own choices.

Guest rochester
I normally go to my liberal cocktail parties wearing a beret as well, but the second cum-by-ya breaks out, I leave! :D

Isn't it Kum not cum? just sayin' :o

Tony, I've seen you at one of these - yes, you had the beret but you didn't mention the AK47 under your psychedelic smock. The Kumbaya didn't do it, it was your self-control that stopped the carnage... and I, for one, was damn proud. Me? I just wear earplugs and go when the cocktails are free.

Archived