Minor Leaguers as the Working Poor

weams

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My basic feeling is, while it would be nice if MLB and the MLBPA were a bit more generous to the minor leaguers, the bottom line is that the players are there by choice. If they feel the pay is too low and they need to go get a higher-paying job, they can do that. If they want to keep chasing the major league dream, or if they just find that playing baseball for a living gives them more enjoyment than some other job they might get, they can do that. It's up to the individual, and so far, it appears than not too many are being disouraged by the low pay.

How can I know what is appropriate to talk about if the terms aren't clearly defined.

Look, you could argue this discussion has political elements, but at bottom, it's about baseball. Isn't that what we do here? We're not discussing whether the minimum wage should be raised.

This is a political discussion. Tell me what you mean by politics, since it obviously isn't the commonly accepted English language definition of the term?

Politcs:

the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, esp. the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power. These other areas include the organizations of ML and MiL baseball, and their relationship with government, re": anti trust laws and union organizations. By acting as a moderator you are engaging in politics. Pretty hard to avoid them at any level.

I think if you have your own opinion on a subject that isn't tied to a particular party. Don't use words like "Liberal", "Conservative" "Republican", "Democrat", "Obama".

My basic feeling is, while it would be nice if MLB and the MLBPA were a bit more generous to the minor leaguers, the bottom line is that the players are there by choice. If they feel the pay is too low and they need to go get a higher-paying job, they can do that. If they want to keep chasing the major league dream, or if they just find that playing baseball for a living gives them more enjoyment than some other job they might get, they can do that. It's up to the individual, and so far, it appears than not too many are being disouraged by the low pay.

How much does it cost the parents of an Olympic hopeful. How much do college football player make within the NCAA guidelines, have we noticed a deterioration of the MLB product because of a lack of qualified players? I think you are spot on.

While I agree that playing MiL baseball is a choice for all involved, one that they can leave at any time, I don't think drawing parallels to waitpersons, musicians, college professor (or almost any other profession) is valid. For all of the aforementioned occupations (other than baseball) the employed has the opportunity (and the choice) to move to a different company/organization if the pay/location/working conditions are better. For example, the waitperson (who wants to be an actor) may start at a diner, move up to the Cheesecake Factory and then to Spago if their skills develop and the desire to make the move (they have the ability to solicit alternative offers and make their own decision). MiL ball players are employees who, if they want to continue to play baseball, have no other options but to remain within the same closed structure - no opportunity to solicit alternative offers from alternatives "baseball" companies.

I think we all agree that baseball players shouldn't be playing a whole year for 5000 dollars. It seems sort of like a pyramid scheme in a way. With teams like Arberdeen selling out every game I don't know why the players can't get paid more. Maybe if there was a salary cap a percentage of the revenue could be directed to minor league salaries. When you get some guys getting paid 25 million a year and other guys 5 thousand a year you know you have issues.

Sure they are not paid enough but they signed up for it. They can quit at any time. Not sure how it is different from someone waiting tables in NY or LA trying to break into the entertainment biz.

The difference being a waiter, or whatever, is not a requirement to become a famous well-paid actor, whereas going through the minor league system is a requirement.

Its like this, I am required by law to go back to grad school to maintain my license - thus my district picks up some of the tab for my graduate school degree because paying for it all myself on my salary would not really be realistic without going into massive debt.

Yes, these guys are "living the dream," and they choose to be ball-players, however, one would think they should be able to live a life whilst chasing that dream.

I will also say that I don't really have a problem with 18-23 year old males existing as working poor. I will say it is, in my view, a poor choice if they wish to start a family but other then that there are plenty of worse things in the world.

For at least months each year, they are out of their parent's basement.

Look, you could argue this discussion has political elements, but at bottom, it's about baseball. Isn't that what we do here? We're not discussing whether the minimum wage should be raised.
Let me ask you a question. Should the exemption from the anti trust laws be removed from baseball in the interests of a free market and then let the chips fall where they may? If not, why not? For me that is the issue here that is most interesting. I am not sure what my opinion on it is.

While waiting tables, those future actors must be paid at least minimum wage (at least once tips are accounted for, etc.). That's a significant difference.

$1,100 x 12 is $13,200. Federal minimum wage is $7.25. That's $1,160 a month assuming 40 hr work week or $13,920 a year.

Players play 6 months a year. Their first year is the lowest pay they will ever get but after their first season they have open negotiations with teams. Once you hit AA they are making $1,500 a month no matter what. It's around $2,000 in AAA.

Those are baseline pay for first year players in those leagues. Come year 2 they will get a pay increase.

So this argument they are working poor is half baked. In AAA you'll be making more then minimum wage in 6 months. In AA you'll be making 3/4 of yearly minimum wage and work off season and still end up making more then minimum wage. It's A ball that pay sucks but those are 18-20 year olds who typically share apartments with teammates.

Archived