Bud Norris drawing trade interest

fearthenoodle

I don't see any rush. Lots of teams, probably most teams, think they're in need of starting pitching depth. A month or so into the season, we'll have a better idea of Norris' role and of our needs, and at least a few of those teams are likely to be pretty desperate to add someone like Norris to the bottom of their rotations. It seems to me that would be the time to see whether trading Norris (alone or in a package) can bring back enough value, and whether we're looking for prospects, picks, a closer, or something else.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Signing Norris was DD's biggest mistake.

Getting something back and clearing his 5.3 million to use elsewhere (sign Santana) would be a great move.

I don' understand why people are high on Norris. He was pretty terrible in the NL Central... moving to the AL East he is a +5.0 ERA guy.... not worth the 5.3 million... not worth LJ Hoes, Josh Hader, and the comp pick that we wasted on him.

Trading SP is a dangerous thing. It completely backfired on the Dodgers last year...

What if Chen and Gonzalez both get injured in Apr? What if Gausman had a poor spring and is struggling in Norfolk not ready to pitch in the majors? What if there's a big need and DD has to sign Barry Zito or Jon Garland just to eat innings like he had to do with Freddy last year?

Trading SP is a dangerous thing. It completely backfired on the Dodgers last year...

What if Chen and Gonzalez both get injured in Apr? What if Gausman had a poor spring and is struggling in Norfolk not ready to pitch in the majors? What if there's a big need and DD has to sign Barry Zito or Jon Garland just to eat innings like he had to do with Freddy last year?

Britton, Aceves, Johnson and McFarland are also around. Not saying they equal Norris at the moment. I bet we use them all as starters this year at some point. We could probably add in Yoon, maybe Wright, Stinson.

Britton, Aceves, Johnson and McFarland are also around. Not saying they equal Norris at the moment. I bet we use them all as starters this year at some point. We could probably add in Yoon, maybe Wright, Stinson.

Britton and McFarland was around last year, and we still needed to go out and get 2 SP.

I think it wOuld be a mistake to trade him prior to seeing him pitch while healthy at the beginning of the season. He's got a great chance to improve his value and we can move him AFTER Gausman forces his way into the rotation.

Agreed. I'm fine with Norris starting off the season as the number five starter. I think a healthy Norris could be very valuable to the team and/or the trade market at mid-season.

I just can't imagine the Orioles paying for Santana anyways and he's the only pitcher left I'd replace Norris with.

And I would want that supplemental pick you talked about. We have to wait until the season starts to get such a pick, right? That puts a wrench in there a bit.

Correct. The CB picks can only be dealt during the season. One thought that had crossed my mind was maybe trying to deal Britton during April straight up for a pick. Seattle, for instance, has pick 75, and Britton might give them a little rotation depth.

Now maybe people think Britton is worth more than that, but at some point he's going to get squeezed off the roster, and you don't want to lose him for nothing on a waiver claim.

Britton and McFarland was around last year, and we still needed to go out and get 2 SP.

Exactly. Last spring we also heard statements like, "Look at all this SP depth!!" only to turn around in May and claim to have nobody that could fill a spot. SP depth is almost a myth, you can never have too much.

The difference between Norris (5.3M) and Storen (3.45M) is not that great. We'd be adding a lot more than 5M probably.

I would do Norris for Storen but let's be honest...do the Nats need another SP? They've got one of the best rotations in the majors.

I'm in the keep Norris boat; I don't really see all this alleged 'depth' at SP. Norris is pretty locked in at the 5 if you ask me, and he's a

pretty damn good option in that that spot. He is certainly better than the dreck we have been running out there for years. Trade Norris and the chance of a Sweaty Freddy-like 5th starter later this year becomes that much closer to reality; then we are trying to make a

trade FOR a pitcher, if we are in contention - just like last year.

Clearly the O's have put quite a few eggs in the 2014/15 contention basket. I don't see the logic in taking out what could be a pretty

valuable egg at this juncture, absent of an 'offer you can't refuse' type trade, which I doubt is on the horizon.

And even if they were to sign another starter, I still like the idea.

Archived