Bud Norris drawing trade interest

fearthenoodle

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The other knock on Santana is that he is a fly ball pitcher. I wonder what some of the stat geeks in here think about that?

I personally would like to see a trade Norris sign Santana scenario.

I think even though he's given up a lot of homers, his ground ball rates over the last couple of years have been pretty good.

Why is Franklin a better prospect than Schoop? Both were in AAA ball at age 21 (for Franklin that was 2012, Schoop 2013), Schoop hit .697 in the IL while dealing with a back injury; Franklin hit .725 in the PCL while healthy.

I think those two are pretty comparable. So your proposal would give away Norris for nothing.

I'm looking at their career numbers and Franklin has an edge. Plus he is a switch hitter and steals some bases. Norris is just the catalyst to get a trade like that completed. I have little faith in Norris...can't get lefties out.

They could sign Joe Saunders with the idea that he takes Patton's place for the first 25 days of the season and then moves into the rotation when/if Norris is traded. What happens when Gausman comes up would be up for grabs.

??? Bud Norris is so underrated. You really think Saunders is better than Norris?? Or are you saying getting something for Bud and you have Saunders to fill in? If it is the latter and we are going for it, that doesn't make sense IMO.

Obviously, it depends on what's coming back. If we can get a legitimate prospect, like a solid B guy, I think you consider it. If the return is good enough, I'd be okay going into the season with Britton/Yoon/MacFarland as the number five, with Gausman ready to take if they aren't getting the job done.

That said, I'm also very happy to have Norris as the fifth guy. I don't know where the negativity with Norris comes from. Of course he's got warts--he's a back end starter--but at least half the teams in baseball wish they had a number five starter as good as Norris.

If the reason to trade Norris is:

1. Gausman, then you make the trade but plan to add a depth starter like Saunders.

2. Santana, then you simply make the trade to offset dollars if a good return is available.

In either case, with the right return, the trade makes sense. If Gausman isn't ready or Santana isn't the replacement, I don't think you can even entertain the trade. Even if Gausman's ready or darn close, depth is a concern that has to be addressed either in the trade or in FA.

Obviously, it depends on what's coming back. If we can get a legitimate prospect, like a solid B guy, I think you consider it. If the return is good enough, I'd be okay going into the season with Britton/Yoon/MacFarland as the number five, with Gausman ready to take if they aren't getting the job done.

That said, I'm also very happy to have Norris as the fifth guy. I don't know where the negativity with Norris comes from. Of course he's got warts--he's a back end starter--but at least half the teams in baseball wish they had a number five starter as good as Norris.

Wow-I just cannot believe that people think so little of Bud Norris that they would be fine with Britton to replace him. That is crazy talk.

Britton and McFarland was around last year, and we still needed to go out and get 2 SP.

I still like Britton as a potential spot starter lefty and lh bp arm. Basically a vast upgrade to tj's role last year. McFarland in Norfolk is a good place for him to continue to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other knock on Santana is that he is a fly ball pitcher. I wonder what some of the stat geeks in here think about that?

I personally would like to see a trade Norris sign Santana scenario.

If you look closely at the stats, his GB% has gone up significantly over the last 3 years, and 2013 was a career high 46%, which would play just fine at OPACY. This increase coincides with him featuring his sinker significantly more, so the gains appear legit.

He's not really the FB pitcher that his reputation would seem to indicate.

??? Bud Norris is so underrated. You really think Saunders is better than Norris?? Or are you saying getting something for Bud and you have Saunders to fill in? If it is the latter and we are going for it, that doesn't make sense IMO.

Was just trying to piece together a couple of rumors. They probably aren't connected.

Archived