Gausman still could be the fifth starter right away

accinfo

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To project pitchers' ERAs based solely on FIP is ridiculous. The fielders will be there. The ERAs will get the same help from a good defense that they got last year. The ERA projections should most certainly take the defense of the team they play for into consideration.

Right mostly luck and fortunate circumstance, very little skill involved. One thing that puzzles me is how HR are regarded as things under a pitchers control, but GB are not. A pitcher can control how far a FB travels? Whether the batter he is facing has power or not, can square it up or miss it?

You are arguing with the wrong person, since I'm not a huge believer in the accuracy of FIP. But I think you misunderstand the theory. The reason home runs allowed are "fielding independent" is that (Josh Reddick notwithstanding) the fielders generally can't affect them. And tendency to be home run prone (or not) does seem pretty consistent for a lot of pitchers.

We are on the same page that not every ball that stays in the ballpark is the same.

As to Palmer, no doubt he would have been an excellent pitcher even if he'd played on a mediocre-fielding team. But I'm sure his ERA would have been higher, perhaps significantly higher. That's just common sense.

You are arguing with the wrong person, since I'm not a huge believer in the accuracy of FIP. But I think you misunderstand the theory. The reason home runs allowed are "fielding independent" is that (Josh Reddick notwithstanding) the fielders generally can't affect them. And tendency to be home run prone (or not) does seem pretty consistent for a lot of pitchers.

We are on the same page that not every ball that stays in the ballpark is the same.

As to Palmer, no doubt he would have been an excellent pitcher even if he'd played on a mediocre-fielding team. But I'm sure his ERA would have been higher, perhaps significantly higher. That's just common sense.

I read a paper on Palmer that showed the OPS against him would decrease the higher leverage the situation. He would appear to be one of the few pitchers to actually pitch to contact.

THIS is the reason. I also think he needs some time at AAA to develop, but they can also limit his innings down there. He only gets 160 to 170 this year. If they want him in September/October they have to send him down.

This right here. With what we have right now it is nice to have someone like Gausman in the minors perfecting his craft. Be real nice to be in the hunt late in the season and be able to call up a pitcher like Gausman or Bundy. To quote my favorite Oriole ever "Deep Depth!".

I don't see it with Gausman. I'm sure he looks great, I don't doubt that...I just didn't see the hype last year. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

His K/9, K/BB, and WHIP were all solid. He just needs to keep the ball in the ballpark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see it with Gausman. I'm sure he looks great, I don't doubt that...I just didn't see the hype last year. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

I saw a guy that made some great pitches and made minor mistakes that got magnified because they were in terrible situations.

Right mostly luck and fortunate circumstance, very little skill involved. One thing that puzzles me is how HR are regarded as things under a pitchers control, but GB are not. A pitcher can control how far a FB travels? Whether the batter he is facing has power or not, can square it up or miss it?

Love it!:hearts:

Starting Gausman makes no sense. Why pay Jimenez all that Money? Gausman is pitching in triple a if everyone is healthy. Let him come up when he dominates in the minors.

I'm sure others have said it before, but Gaus could be the closer. Pitching relief at the major league level used to be the final step for a lot of starters. Seems like a waste of time to have him learning how to start by pitching to minor leaguers.

I'm sure others have said it before, but Gaus could be the closer. Pitching relief at the major league level used to be the final step for a lot of starters. Seems like a waste of time to have him learning how to start by pitching to minor leaguers.

No no no NO!!!! Seems (IS) a waste to have him wasting his time in the pen! He HAS to start because that is where his value comes back to us.

Love it!:hearts:

Love what, how he shows a fundamental misunderstanding of FIP? It isn't so much as pitchers control home runs as it is that the defense does not influence them. You would think the name, Fielding Independent Pitching would be a clue, but not to Gordo.

No no no NO!!!! Seems (IS) a waste to have him wasting his time in the pen! He HAS to start because that is where his value comes back to us.

Needs to stretch out and learn how to go through a lineup three or four times. Even if AAA this year. He's not going to learn jack blowing away ML hitters for one inning who haven't seen him in the game. He needs to learn to pitch.

Nolan Ryan began his MLB career in the pen. I don't see where that it would hurt Gausman's development - he could still transition to an SP later in the year or next. In the mean-time, the Orioles get value now instead of wasting the effort on games that really don't matter against guys not good enough to be on major league squads.

Archived