Gausman still could be the fifth starter right away

accinfo

I'd rather have him in AAA if you're not going to start him. Losing a year of arbitration by keeping him up here in the bullpen won't be worth it down the line.

Yes, there is that consideration. So a big "no" to bullpen...but what if he shows himself this spring to be the closer of their dreams (for this season only)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nolan Ryan began his MLB career in the pen. I don't see where that it would hurt Gausman's development - he could still transition to an SP later in the year or next. In the mean-time, the Orioles get value now instead of wasting the effort on games that really don't matter against guys not good enough to be on major league squads.

It wastes ML time with him not learning his craft, pitching. Yes, he would learn some ML hitters and such but he needs to learn how to pitch. Like I said, 3, 4 times thru the order.

It wastes ML time with him not learning his craft, pitching. Yes, he would learn some ML hitters and such but he needs to learn how to pitch. Like I said, 3, 4 times thru the order.

And the buildup of innings. No way he gets his needed 160-170 out of the pen. Yes in the old days they introduced a lot of guys in the pen, but they also destroyed a lot of elbows/shoulders/whateverelses.

And the buildup of innings. No way he gets his needed 160-170 out of the pen. Yes in the old days they introduced a lot of guys in the pen, but they also destroyed a lot of elbows/shoulders/whateverelses.

Patience.

Nothing like a good FIP Fight.

We are not a fielding independent team. If we are going for it. Go for it. Walker in Seattle is sore. You never know when a pitcher might be done. If he's bringing it and we are winning. Pitch him. In some capacity.

I don't understand how he would not be learning his craft as a major league pitcher. He already wasted ;) years in college learning how to pitch through the lineup 3 or 4 times. Hey, I will trust whatever decision the brass makes about Gausman starting the season, whether 5th starter or AA (I do not foresee the team putting him in the closer role, even if I think he might be able to handle it and mature at the MLB level). The best part of this is that Gausman looks to be highly valuable, whether that begins this April or later.

We are not a fielding independent team. If we are going for it. Go for it. Walker in Seattle is sore. You never know when a pitcher might be done. If he's bringing it and we are winning. Pitch him. In some capacity.

Amen, brother.

I don't understand how he would not be learning his craft as a major league pitcher. He already wasted ;) years in college learning how to pitch through the lineup 3 or 4 times. Hey, I will trust whatever decision the brass makes about Gausman starting the season, whether 5th starter or AA (I do not foresee the team putting him in the closer role, even if I think he might be able to handle it and mature at the MLB level). The best part of this is that Gausman looks to be highly valuable, whether that begins this April or later.

Learning how to go thru a ML lineup multiple times. Setting up hitters each AB, but setting them up the whole game. He can't learn that pitching an inning at a time in the pen.

Still do...it comes with the territory for pitchers.

Back to Gaus learning how to get through the lineup 3 or 4 times, I would hope he had learned much of that at the college level. Call me unconvinced that he could learn more about pitching by starting in the minors than relieving in the majors. But I'm starting to become convinced that the big squad needs him this year, whether as a starter or a reliever.

• 3 weeks later...

Gausman Eyeing Spot in Rotation

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/03/gausman-eyeing-shot-at-rotation.html

O

O

No DH for the Pirates today.

I'm presuming that we will be using one, since it is an Orioles home game.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES O (MARCH 23rd) [spring Training]

Starling Marte - LF

Travis Snider - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Pedro Alvarez - 3B

Neil Walker - 2B

Travis Ishikawa - 1B

Tony Sanchez - C

Jordy Mercer - SS

Gerrit Cole - RHP (10-7, 3.22 ERA)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

Gausman Eyeing Spot in Rotation

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/03/gausman-eyeing-shot-at-rotation.html

O

O

No DH for the Pirates today.

I'm presuming that we will be using one, since it is an Orioles home game.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES O (MARCH 23rd) [spring Training]

Starling Marte - LF

Travis Snider - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Pedro Alvarez - 3B

Neil Walker - 2B

Travis Ishikawa - 1B

Tony Sanchez - C

Jordy Mercer - SS

Gerrit Cole - RHP (10-7, 3.22 ERA)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

Another game most of us won't be able to see or hear.

Bud is a gentleman and a scholar.

Steamer Fangraphs Projected ERA for our starters:

Chris Tillman: 4.24 ERA

Ubaldo Jimenez: 4.31 ERA

Wei-Yin Chen: 4.32 ERA

Miguel Gonzalez: 4.50 ERA

Bud Norris: 4.33 ERA

Then we have Gausman:

Kevin Gausman: 3.97 ERA

All of his advanced metrics tell us hes a breakout candidate... he had lots of bad luck last year, and if he can have better luck this year, he could be our top pitcher. I really don't like the idea of just banishing him to AAA because he had bad luck last year.

Starting him at 3A is not banishment. Wouldn't you rather have him ready for the

team in September and October? I too am one who thinks Kevin needs more

time in 3A. It's just more important to have him end of season and the playoffs.

It's a long season and Kevin will be up at some point. IMO

Starting him at 3A is not banishment. Wouldn't you rather have him ready for the

team in September and October? I too am one who thinks Kevin needs more

time in 3A. It's just more important to have him end of season and the playoffs.

It's a long season and Kevin will be up at some point. IMO

The problem with saving your bullets for September/October is that the fight might be over by then.

If this were the Nats, who look to have a cakewalk of a regular season then sure, you can plan around Sep/Oct.

For me, the issue with Gausman is managing his innings. I don't want him to become a powerhouse in the rotation who has to be shut down in August. Better to start him at AAA, pitching 4/5 innings per start through May. Then, bring him up and cut him loose. If one of the starters goes down for injury or ineffectiveness before then, give Matsz or Britton a shot. I look forward to seeing Gausman in June.

Archived