Gausman still could be the fifth starter right away

accinfo

I don't see it with Gausman. I'm sure he looks great, I don't doubt that...I just didn't see the hype last year. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

I agree. He seems like a guy with a great arm who simply isn't able to pitch well with it. Whether the problem is in his head or just command issues, not sure. He could also be somehow tipping his pitches, but regardless from what he has shown so far, he leaves WAAAAY too many pitches over the middle of the plate and major leaguers don't miss them. And that is a HUGE problem.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gausman's fastball seems way too hittable considering it's velocity. He just needs to command it better but I'm not sure I see future dominance. More Tillman like.

I agree, not enough movement on it either. He would be much better off if he took some of the MPH off it (instead of 96-98, 94-95 with movement). He should probably work on some sort of cut fast ball or something to give the hitters a different look. He seems to be just a two pitch, pitcher and that is too easy for major league hitters to sit on a pitch and hammer, especially a starter.

I agree, not enough movement on it either. He would be much better off if he took some of the MPH off it (instead of 96-98, 94-95 with movement). He should probably work on some sort of cut fast ball or something to give the hitters a different look. He seems to be just a two pitch, pitcher and that is too easy for major league hitters to sit on a pitch and hammer, especially a starter.

Nothing here is anything like I have seen. Or like what the baseball people I have spoken to have noted.

Please expand. I would like to hear both your opinion and those of the baseball people you've spoken to. No snark intended.

I think that you are right about the lack of swing and miss at this point. I meant you no disrespect. My reply was not to your post. I just am not about to allow this to become one of those Tillman hater debates without retort.

The people that I have be fortunate to pick the brains of seem universally fanboys of the stuff, and the progress with the slider. They think he'll be a factor this season.

I think that you are right about the lack of swing and miss at this point. I meant you no disrespect. My reply was not to your post. I just am not about to allow this to become one of those Tillman hater debates without retort.

The people that I have be fortunate to pick the brains of seem universally fanboys of the stuff, and the progress with the slider. They think he'll be a factor this season.

I know this isn't a thread of comparison of Gausman to Tillman, but they are vastly different, even when comparing to similar stages of their careers. Tillman seemed to suddenly learn how to "pitch" so to speak, whereas from what I have seen Gausman is still very much a throw, but has always had more velocity than Tillman.

Nothing here is anything like I have seen. Or like what the baseball people I have spoken to have noted.

I am just going by what I have seen of him in the past. I admittedly have no information in how he is looking this season as I have not watched him. Even so, grapfruit league lineups are not much of a true indication IMHO.

I know this isn't a thread of comparison of Gausman to Tillman, but they are vastly different, even when comparing to similar stages of their careers. Tillman seemed to suddenly learn how to "pitch" so to speak, whereas from what I have seen Gausman is still very much a throw, but has always had more velocity than Tillman.

It was reported that Tillman's fast ball was hitting 99 with regularity, at the time the trade was made.

It was reported that Tillman's fast ball was hitting 99 with regularity, at the time the trade was made.

So what? He never has come close to hitting that wearing an Orioles uniform, where as Gausman has plenty of times. Tillman has gradually brought his velocity back to around 95 or so at times, but Gausman has never had an issue with it, whereas Tillman had for a while.

Were you always a Tillman fan?

At the risk of someone digging out an old post of mine critcizing him, to the best of my recollection I always liked Tillman, especially his curve ball which reminded me of Palmer's.

His mechanics used to look just like Palmer's, too (minus the high leg kick), but he wasn't very good until they simplified things for him.

I don't remember that. Not 99 with regularity.

I do know that he used to throw harder but it is pretty common for pitchers to lose velocity.

This was never reported. In 2007, as a Mariner, he was scouted as approaching the mid-90s (http://prospectinsider.wordpress.com/2007/03/13/no-6-chris-tillman-rhp/) and was scouted at 92-94 in the year after (http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=3566) (See also: http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/showArticle.htm?id=11266).

Were you always a Tillman fan?
At the risk of someone digging out an old post of mine critcizing him, to the best of my recollection I always liked Tillman, especially his curve ball which reminded me of Palmer's.

I'm pretty sure that in 2009 Old#5Fan clearly stated his preference for Tillman over Matusz based on their first few appearances.

Archived