Good news about Urrutia

Tony-OH

I think we had one guy on here who is taking the word "muscle" literally meaning 100% of the added weight is muscle and he seems to know what he's talking about. From the sounds of it, that sounds impossible. Working out and adding 20 pounds and looking more cut and muscular is certainly possible.

Especially for a guy just getting introduced to an American diet.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what everyone's obsession with claiming that 20 pounds of lean muscle isn't possible in 10 months. That's 2 pounds a month. Entirely possible without "help". Good grief, people.

Yeah, it's entirely possible in 10 months, especially for a guy that was lacking proper nutrition. The "20 pounds of muscle" arguments, not that I ever engage in them, are about guys who had that gain in the off season. In other words, you'll hear people say Markakis added 20 pounds of muscle in 3-4 months, which isn't likely but... I really couldn't care less so long as the guys are in good shape.

I don't know what everyone's obsession with claiming that 20 pounds of lean muscle isn't possible in 10 months. That's 2 pounds a month. Entirely possible without "help". Good grief, people.

Especially with a guy who was probably a little undernourished in Cuba, then hiding out in Haiti and... Dominican? Guy is probably eating better now than he ever has in his life.

Especially with a guy who was probably a little undernourished in Cuba, then hiding out in Haiti and... Dominican? Guy is probably eating better now than he ever has in his life.
Hopefully he's not eating an "American diet". high in red meat, saturated fats, grains, and sugar. He might be better off with a Cuban diet.

Doubt it. Cuba is not the lovely Oasis you imagine.
To begin with how would you know what I imagine? Secondly have you ever been to Cuba. What what do you base these assumptions on? Are Cuban ballplayers noted for being emaciated? Maybe the average Cubans doesn't get to eat as much as he'd like, but I'd bet their ballplayers aren't undernourished. I don't know what their diet is, but it can't be worse than the typical American diet.

Sorry I raised the "lbs of muscle" argument in this thread. I did it mostly as a joke. It's a debate that belongs somewhere else.

Tony's post IS good news. Regardless of the potential for imprecise language coming from the O's, the bigger story with Urrutia is that he's making this physical step.

As a reminder, people have said since day 1 that Urrutia had potential for physical growth, and that he'd be a better player when that happened. Well, the physical growth happened, and Urrutia's about to test the original assessment of his upside.

To begin with how would you know what I imagine? Secondly have you ever been to Cuba. What what do you base these assumptions on? Are Cuban ballplayers noted for being emaciated? Maybe the average Cubans doesn't get to eat as much as he'd like, but I'd bet their ballplayers aren't undernourished. I don't know what their diet is, but it can't be worse than the typical American diet.

Did you get more argumentative lately, or am I imagining things?

For some reason, Urrutia had physical growth potential when he arrived to America. Assumptions aside, the reason doesn't matter. All that matters is that he's got room for physical growth and he seems to be putting in the time and effort. Yay, O's.

Archived