Good news about Urrutia

Tony-OH

Like...how your premise that better nutrition directly correlates to more medals is neither factual nor does it built on scientific method. Yep, sometimes straight facts do, indeed, suck.

Wait, what? This was built on about your so called "American diet". Health has a direct correlation with diet, fitness and exercise. Unless your reading health books from the 50's.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, what? This was built on about your so called "American diet". Health has a direct correlation with diet, fitness and exercise. Unless your reading health books from the 50's.

Hank is shut down for two days.

I am going to add to the bickering on this thread but to say the athletic diet of Americans is somehow worse than Cuba I will leave you with this.

USA since 1896 has medal 2681 times. Cuba 208 medals. If we were an over weight in our sports we would not win so much.

By the way China has more people if that will be your argument and has 526 total medals at the Olympics.

Not talking about sports. Talking about the "typical American diet". The typical American is not an Olympic athlete.

I didn't start with the "American Diet." Go back and check. And come on..."your" - geesh, that's just careless. Fact is, your stats were inane.

I didn't start with the "American Diet." Go back and check. And come on..."your" - geesh, that's just careless. Fact is, your stats were inane.

Funny you correct me on grammar when you post stuff like this.

"Like...how your premise that better nutrition directly correlates to more medals is neither factual nor does it built on scientific method. Yep, sometimes straight facts do, indeed, suck."

Its fun going in circles with you. Just keep posting and you may eventually be correct.

Not talking about sports. Talking about the "typical American diet". The typical American is not an Olympic athlete.

Yeah. Well. We were talking about the best 5000 of these athletes on the planet. No average at all.

I think it's pretty disingenuous to try and liken baseball players to your typical American. On top of that, let's not act as if red meat is the devil. I think that is a ridiculous notion. Health in America isn't because of red meats. Look across the globe to countries like Italy, Greece, etc. who center a lot of their diet around red meat (especially Greeks). If you use CIA's World Factbook, those countries are around the 20% obesity rate (compared to the US's 33%).

I think the issue with the US is mostly other things...mostly revolving around high fat and high sugar diets. Those are usually the problem.

Anyways, 20 pounds (lean muscle) in 10 months is not a big deal especially with trainers at your disposal (and a significant salary bump) as well as being in a country where yoiu finally have money and access to better resources (food, knowledge, world class training facilities).

I just wish those that really have no experience in the matter stop instantly labeling players as utilizing PED's if they put on mostly lean muscle (whether it be 5, 10, 15 or 20 pounds) over the course of an offseason or even the majority of a year.

Yeah. Well. We were talking about the best 5000 of these athletes on the planet. No average at all.

I don't see how you think it could be out of the question when an athlete goes from Cuba the 95th largest economy in the world. To a top 10 and is able to make a pay check and supply his own food. Hello Check this article out they do not get paid very much.

"it is certainly not money that has kept him in Cuba. His standard salary increased by 26 times as a result of the new policy, but it is still only 13,000 Cuban pesos (?300) a month. Even with an additional $300 (?184) hard currency payment, he earns less than 0.5% of what he could make in the Major League."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/18/cuba-baseball-players-pay-rise

Now the pay rise did come after Hank left.

As usual I have no idea what you were talking about. I was referencing this statement: "Especially for a guy just getting introduced to an American diet ", post #23 of this thread. I would think that in Cuba as with most countries, their athletes have a superior diet to the average one. No doubt Henry with the benefit of trainers is not eating at McDonalds.

As usual I have no idea what you were talking about. I was referencing this statement: "Especially for a guy just getting introduced to an American diet ", post #23 of this thread. I would think that in Cuba as with most countries, their athletes have a superior diet to the average one. No doubt Henry with the benefit of trainers is not eating at McDonalds.
Probably true. He had been suspended from the team for a year before he made it out of Cuba.

Cubans eat the most beans, per capita, of any country in the world. Beans are high-protein food. It's more likely that Urrutia's weight gain is the result of chemical supplements than food intake.

I'd be interested to see whether anyone commenting on Cubans being "undernourished" has actually been to Cuba to see the ballplayers in person. Though I would wager against that possibility.

Guilty. Never been there, was just assuming from the whole Russian satellite thing. Bread lines, etc.
Your sentence ....... one semester of auditing an Introduction to Sociology course, and pay particular attention to when the professor speaks of "common nonsense."
Had a semester of college Soc. Seemed like the Proff (who authored our textbook) spent the whole time trying to justify that Sociology is REALLY a real science ... :P

I could have saved him some trouble. Sociology studies the origins (and subsequent development) of human behavior of different societies throughout the world.

Sociology also incorporates scientific/mathematical research methods in much of its studies of said behavior(s.)

The short answer: Yes, sociology is a science, because science is primarily:

1. A branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

AND

2. Systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

AND ALSO

3. Systematized knowledge in general.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/science

Archived