Should The Qualifying Offer Be Scrapped?

Il BuonO

MLBTR:Should The Qualifying Offer Be Scrapped?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. MLBTR:Should The Qualifying Offer Be Scrapped?

• Yes, get rid of it.
    • Keep the basic idea with some changes.
    • No, keep it as is.

I think the system works and too much is made of players not being able to move because of the pick being tied to them. It's certainly better than what was in place before.

I do too. I think it is close to perfect. Now if only a player ONCE would accept an offer, it would work perfectly. If anything is wrong with this system, it is the fact that the unilateral rejection removes the strategic chess match that would otherwise be part of the process.

Idea #1 that would never happen but would at least be a step in the right direction: protect the first round draft picks of the 15 lowest-salaried teams rather than the lowest-win totals.

Idea #2 that could actually happen as it would stop penalizing QO-rejecters but still benefit the rich teams: Instead of removing any draft picks, just add them. Team that loses a FA gets a pick one ahead of the team that pays the money. Of course this would screw over every team behind...

Idea #3: Scrap compensation, set and enforce a real salary cap for both major and minor league spending, distribute all revenue equally to all teams.

Idea #1

All this does is encourage middle-of-the-pack teams to not spend money. Wouldn't mean much to the Yankee's, or even the A's, but if your team salary is annually in the 13 - 17 range, this could definitely discourage you from spending on the FA market.

Idea #2

All this does is de-value later picks. You're now adding picks instead of (essentially) trading them back and forth. Is a 2nd round pick still a "2nd round pick" when it's now pick number 80 - 100 overall?

Idea #3

Wouldn't mind something like this, but I doubt it ever happens.

It was collectively bargained and it certainly isn't breaking the MLB product so why change it before the next CBA?

That is just silly.

This.

The players association will address the issue it if they think it's adversely impacting it's members.

This.

The players association will address the issue it if they think it's adversely impacting it's members.

I'm sure they will. The idea of the poll is to gauge what should happen with the issue before the appointed time.

You read a little further down where I explained that the whole premise was that this is up for review in 2016? It's also explained in the link provided in the OP.

I'm sure they will. The idea of the poll is to gauge what should happen with the issue before the appointed time.

You read a little further down where I explained that the whole premise was that this is up for review in 2016? It's also explained in the link provided in the OP.

Gotcha.

I did not really read much past CoC's post.

I got up early to shovel snow, and this always put me in a bit of a mood.

Gotcha.

I did not really read much past CoC's post.

I got up early to shovel snow, and this always put me in a bit of a mood.

No worries. I do wonder, though, would you and he both have changed your answers to the poll question. Just for my own purposes I like to know if the poll data is accurate. I haven't voted but I'm in the no category even if they were voting today.

No worries. I do wonder, though, would you and he both have changed your answers to the poll question. Just for my own purposes I like to know if the poll data is accurate. I haven't voted but I'm in the no category even if they were voting today.

I'm fine with it going forward. I think it is an improvement over the old system and once players and agents on the receiving end of the Qualifying offers start accepting them (when appropriate) that you will have few "frozen" players.

I think that the agreement should stay as it is until the next CBA comes up.

Any tweaks can be addressed at that time.

Archived