Battle grounds get a little clearer

wildcard

Its early but here are where the battle grounds are shaping up.

1. Bullpen - Eight guys/seven spots. Hunter, O'Day, Webb, Matusz, Stinson, Aceves, Britton, De La Cruz - long way to go.

2) Righhanded DH - Young vs Pearce. Almanzar looks like he needs to make up ground to be considered. Reimold headed for the DL to start the season.

3) Second base and Utility infielder - Flaherty has to show he can hold on to his position. Schoop making big impression. Weeks, Casilla and DeJesus in the hunt for UIF.

4) If Machado is not ready to start the season Alex Gonzalez looks like he will fill in at 3B. Otherwise Alex to AAA.

So far the areas that look set:

Starter - Tillman, Jimenez, Gonzalez, Chen and Norris

OF - Jones, Markakis, Lough, Cruz and Peguero

Catching = Wieters and Clevenger. Clevenger has to play well to keep O's from picking up back up at the end of ST.

Infield - Davis, Hardy and Machado if healthy.

That's how I see it. What do you think?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Reimold get hurt again? Already? I hadn't heard anything.

Not hurt but doesn't look good so far. It is an easy move for him to begin the year on the DL after two neck surgeries. Avoids him playing in the cold of April.

The most interesting battle is between Young and Pearce. Neither have much success outside of a platoon DH vs LHP. Pearce is able to play 1st which is a positive and Young has some pedigree that goes along with being a 1st overall pick. Its a toss up really.

I don't think Peguero is set at all, though he is certainly a candidate. In addition to Pearce, Young and Reimold, Urrutia is a candidate.

I don't think the O's are going to lose Peguero on waivers. He is the backup in case Lough does not perform. Peguero is too athletic, fast, good defensively to let go.

The most interesting battle is between Young and Pearce. Neither have much success outside of a platoon DH vs LHP. Pearce is able to play 1st which is a positive and Young has some pedigree that goes along with being a 1st overall pick. Its a toss up really.

Markakis can also play 1st. :)

Don't count out Meek or Huntzinger from the bullpen competition yet. They both have histories and have looked sharp.

Both Meek and Huntzinger are good depth on minor league contracts. Too many guys out of options ahead of them. It will take an injury for them to make the team IMO. Steve Johnson in a similar situation. His option works against him breaking with the team.

Casilla is still in play for the Utility IF spot.

I wouldn't consider Peguero a lock at the moment. But I do think he ends up making the team. He makes more sense for the long run than the other options.

Also, although he's looked bad so far, are we really counting out Escolana? He also has no options remaining.

Archived