Battle grounds get a little clearer

wildcard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's my opinion. I don't think Young brings much more than Pearce. Maybe some more power, but Pearce is a better OBP guy and has a little more positional value. On the other hand, he's old and Young isn't, and Young has produced in big moments (if you're a believer in that kind of stuff).

Young is 28, Pearce is 30. Not that much difference.

That would be great if Weeks could hit and field. He has not been a ML average 2B so far in his career. He OPS'd .609 in 2012 and only OPS'd .745 in the PCL last year. He is the guy who should be the super utility player. He played significant amount of games at SS, 2B, and CF last year.

Sure we could. Weeks speed in the line up everyday is more appealing to me that's all. Flaherty provides more flexibility then Weeks as a utility player with his ability to play first base. Weeks had one excellent year and two poor years. It's true. But We know what we have with Flaherty. Let Weeks start the year at second. You can replace him with Flaherty if he stumbles.

"I doubt the O's are worried about Schoop's service clock. The O's are going for it. They want the best players to play."

Wildcard's quote seems accurate. However, if true, I'd really like to see us have our best pitchers in the bullpen. I think that means Gausman. I know the argument for having him start regularly for Norfolk, but he can help us win games now by pitching out of the pen.

That's my opinion. I don't think Young brings much more than Pearce. Maybe some more power, but Pearce is a better OBP guy and has a little more positional value. On the other hand, he's old and Young isn't, and Young has produced in big moments (if you're a believer in that kind of stuff).

It may come down to whether we think we can get Pearce down to Norfolk. Ideally, we keep both. With Young having an opt-out, he's not a candidate.

"I doubt the O's are worried about Schoop's service clock. The O's are going for it. They want the best players to play."

Wildcard's quote seems accurate. However, if true, I'd really like to see us have our best pitchers in the bullpen. I think that means Gausman. I know the argument for having him start regularly for Norfolk, but he can help us win games now by pitching out of the pen.

The Orioles will start Schoop at AAA, and it has nothing to do with his service clock, they are committed to not rushing him through the minors, and letting him progress through the system getting baseball experience. Getting hurt, delayed his playing time at AAA.

Look for him to start at AAA, until the ASG, and then come up, if somebody isn't playing well.

Buck is going to want to rest Davis more this year after he slowed down in the 2nd half last year. Davis probably DHs when not playing 1B. Markakis and Flaherty is probably enough of a backup for the few games that Davis will DH. Its more of a problem if Davis is injured. O's need a good backup at AAA or keep Pearce on the team.

I doubt this. It is first base. For the first hundred years of the game, and continuing for the last 40 years in the NL, first base is where you put a guy if you want to rest him, but keep his bat in the lineup. Davis probably has the best chance of any Oriole to play 162 games this year, IMO. If he rests, I doubt if he is the DH, since running the bases is most likely the activity he would need the rest from. I agree that if Davis is injured, his replacement can come from the minors, and Flaherty/Markakis can fill in for a game awaiting the arrival of the called up replacement.

I also don't buy the idea that Buck will sit Davis against tough LHP that someone mentioned. There is no fringe player that I would rather see in the lineup than Davis, no matter who is on the mound for the opposition.

Bottom line: the Orioles don't need to waste a 25-man spot on a "back-up first baseman," IMO.

I think Gausman is ticketed to be the rotation by June. He will help the O's a lot by being in the rotation if he matures the way the O's hope.

Flaherty hit for 683 OPS last year. That does exactly make him an entrenched incumbent. He has to step up and show he can handle the position offensive as well as defensively. If he does, I agree the Schoop will start at AAA. If Flaherty does not step up and Schoop does this spring then Schoop has a chance to start the season in the majors.

Weeks, DeJesus and Casilla also could make a run at the starting 2B job. Its up to Flaherty to meet the challenge brought by the other potential 2B players.

Food poisoning. Man people are harsh about his prospects. Im still a fan of Reimold. I want to see him

succeed.

I respect the guy and wish him well, I want him to succeed for his own sake and a healthy Reimold can only be good for the team.

However, I do not hold any realistic thoughts that it will happen. They took a low-risk flyer on him and I am okay with it.

Just don't print World Series tickets based on Reimhold being the missing link to this team's success.

I doubt this. It is first base. For the first hundred years of the game, and continuing for the last 40 years in the NL, first base is where you put a guy if you want to rest him, but keep his bat in the lineup. Davis probably has the best chance of any Oriole to play 162 games this year, IMO. If he rests, I doubt if he is the DH, since running the bases is most likely the activity he would need the rest from. I agree that if Davis is injured, his replacement can come from the minors, and Flaherty/Markakis can fill in for a game awaiting the arrival of the called up replacement.

I also don't buy the idea that Buck will sit Davis against tough LHP that someone mentioned. There is no fringe player that I would rather see in the lineup than Davis, no matter who is on the mound for the opposition.

Bottom line: the Orioles don't need to waste a 25-man spot on a "back-up first baseman," IMO.

I don't see the O's wasting a 25 man spot on a backup first baseman but I think Davis does get some rest in the DH spot. When it is 90 degrees and humid, DHing is a good way to stay off the field 80% of the game. Davis himself has said he likes to DH occasionally to get a break.

I don't see the O's wasting a 25 man spot on a backup first baseman but I think Davis does get some rest in the DH spot. When it is 90 degrees and humid, DHing is a good way to stay off the field 80% of the game. Davis himself has said he likes to DH occasionally to get a break.

Correct, Matt can play first, Nick can play first, Flash can play first.

No use having a roster spot for backup 1st, leave the backup 1st at AAA.

Archived