Battle grounds get a little clearer

wildcard

Flaherty hit for 683 OPS last year. That does exactly make him an entrenched incumbent. He has to step up and show he can handle the position offensive as well as defensively. If he does, I agree the Schoop will start at AAA. If Flaherty does not step up and Schoop does this spring then Schoop has a chance to start the season in the majors.

Weeks, DeJesus and Casilla also could make a run at the starting 2B job. Its up to Flaherty to meet the challenge brought by the other potential 2B players.

That's not happening in ST. Flaherty could lose his job, but it will be during the season.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not see it happening that early, unless somebody is hurt or under performing.

Sorry, but just my opinion.

What is under performing. Norris put up a 4.80 ERA last year after coming to the O's. If he does that again and Gausman is tearing up AAA, Kevin may get the call. Last year Chen and Gonzalez both were injured in the first few months of the season. Stuff just happens.......more times then not.

What is under performing. Norris put up a 4.80 ERA last year after coming to the O's. If he does that again and Gausman is tearing up AAA, Kevin may get the call. Last year Chen and Gonzalez both were injured in the first few months of the season. Stuff just happens.......more times then not.

You mentioned Chen and Gonz being hurt.

I did say, don't look for him, unless somebody is hurt or under performing.

Under performing, how about Hamel and Jake before the ASG?

Norris wasn't perfect when he came over, but he did manage to pitch better than either had.

That's not happening in ST. Flaherty could lose his job, but it will be during the season.

Don't agree. If Flaherty hits .200 in ST and Schoop has a strong ST, Schoop can beat out Flaherty by opening day. Flaherty has to step up and hold his starting spot.

I don't see the O's wasting a 25 man spot on a backup first baseman but I think Davis does get some rest in the DH spot. When it is 90 degrees and humid, DHing is a good way to stay off the field 80% of the game. Davis himself has said he likes to DH occasionally to get a break.
I don't see Young sticking with the O's for 150-200 PA. He'll opt out and go to another club who has more for him to do.

You mentioned Chen and Gonz being hurt.

I did say, don't look for him, unless somebody is hurt or under performing.

Under performing, how about Hamel and Jake before the ASG?

Norris wasn't perfect when he came over, but he did manage to pitch better than either had.

Hammel was a veteran coming off a good year (when healthy). That gets him a little more time. Arrieta wasn't replaced soon because there wasn't any one better. The O's had to go to Garcia just to replace Chen.

Norris has a track record in the NL. His only record in the AL East is a 4.80 ERA. That will not earn him much time if he falters. Especially if Gausman is pitching well at AAA.

Buck has talked about how Cruz will allow him to rest the outfielders. He has talked about getting Wieters more rest this year. I would think that finding ways to rest the infielders would be just as important.

He has TALKED about stuff like that in other spring trainings too. But his actions as a manager show time and time again that he likes to put a guy out there at a position and play him as much as possible.

I don't see Young sticking with the O's for 150-200 PA. He'll opt out and go to another club who has more for him to do.

If the O's put him on the major league roster he can't opt out. Its not his choice at that point no matter how many at bats he gets.

He has TALKED about stuff like that in other spring trainings too. But his actions as a manager show time and time again that he likes to put a guy out there at a position and play him as much as possible.

As a 15 year veteran manager, he has also shown he knows how to manager.

There's no way I would describe Peguero's spot on the roster as "set". You may think he'll make the team, and he might, but it's not a lock. Same for Reimold to the DL. That would be convenient and may happen, but it's not certainly absolute.

I would at least add Escalona to the bullpen competition. In the end I don't think he'll get the spot, but he's on the 40-man and out of options so by default he's in consideration. Others pointing out Huntzinger and Meek have merit as well.

If Machado is not ready at the start of the season, I think there's a chance they'll go with Almanzar. Maybe it will be Gonzalez but, again, I haven't seen anything that says it "looks like" they'll go with Alex.

Good write up, lots to think about. Exciting times.

I think Buck evaluates, learns and acts accordingly. He say the fall off in the 2nd half. That no doubt played a role in signing Cruz. I look for Buck to rest his players more this year. However, I agree the proof is in his actions.

There's no way I would describe Peguero's spot on the roster as "set". You may think he'll make the team, and he might, but it's not a lock. Same for Reimold to the DL. That would be convenient and may happen, but it's not certainly absolute.

I would at least add Escalona to the bullpen competition. In the end I don't think he'll get the spot, but he's on the 40-man and out of options so by default he's in consideration. Others pointing out Huntzinger and Meek have merit as well.

If Machado is not ready at the start of the season, I think there's a chance they'll go with Almanzar. Maybe it will be Gonzalez but, again, I haven't seen anything that says it "looks like" they'll go with Alex.

Good write up, lots to think about. Exciting times.

There are no guarantees. Just tendencies at this point.

There are no guarantees. Just tendencies at this point.

Exactly so stating "Reimold headed to the DL to start the season" may be a little bit of an over reach.

Having Peguero in the OF as an "area that looks set" might be a bit of an overstatement, no?

I know these are your opinions, and they may very well happen, but they are certainly not "the way things are shaping up" after three spring training games. The wording of the OP seems a little misleading to me. Again, I like the thread and all the varying opinions though.

Exactly so stating "Reimold headed to the DL to start the season" may be a little bit of an over reach.

Having Peguero in the OF as an "area that looks set" might be a bit of an overstatement, no?

I know these are your opinions, and they may very well happen, but they are certainly not "the way things are shaping up" after three spring training games. The wording of the OP seems a little misleading to me. Again, I like the thread and all the varying opinions though.

Its opinions. And yours are as good as mine. But that is the way I see it. I asked for other opinions and I respect yours.

Its opinions. And yours are as good as mine. But that is the way I see it. I asked for other opinions and I respect yours.

I do think your write-up is very good and it gives food for thought. There certainly will be some tough decisions towards the end of camp.

Archived