Battle grounds get a little clearer

wildcard

I think Machado's health will have a lot to do with our bench.

I believe Buck and Duquette really want to keep Almanzar on the roster all season, much like they did with Flaherty and McFarland. If Manny is ready on Opening Day and Almanzar makes the team as the back-up corner infielder, that only leaves one spot for Peguero, Reimold, Pearce and Young (back-up catcher and reserve middle infielder would take the other two spots).

If Almanzar ends up being the starting 3B on Opening Day, then two of the four guys mentioned in that last sentence could make the team.

Reimold starting the year on the D.L. conveniently helps create some space.

With so many good bench options available, there's always the chance that the team carries five extra position players, but that's unlikely in the American League.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Logic before ST began was that Schoop goes to AAA. However, Schoop is really showing he can hit early. He will have to continue to make his case. Flaherty is the favorite. He has proven he can field at 2B but he has to hit to hold off Schoop. Its an interesting battle. Its just starting. Should continue through the month. That is the way I see it anyway.

I doubt the O's are worried about Schoop's service clock. The O's are going for it. They want the best players to play.

Valid points, conversely, though, if you're going for it now do you have a guy work at AAA and beat down the door to get his call-up rather than giving him the job out of ST and having him work through struggles in a season you're built to contend? I can see it from either side.

Don't agree. If Flaherty hits .200 in ST and Schoop has a strong ST, Schoop can beat out Flaherty by opening day. Flaherty has to step up and hold his starting spot.
You put too much emphasis on ST numbers. I f Flaherty starts riding the bus then his job might be n danger.

Valid points, conversely, though, if you're going for it now do you have a guy work at AAA and beat down the door to get his call-up rather than giving him the job out of ST and having him work through struggles in a season you're built to contend? I can see it from either side.

A lot depends on Flaherty. If Ryan is struggling to hit and Schoop is hitting well that gives Schoop as chance to start the season in the majors. But if Flaherty plays the field the way we know he can and he hits. He is the starting 2B and Schoop goes to AAA to start the season.

What is Flaherty going to do? If Schoop keeps hitting Flaherty is going to have to do better than the 683 OPS he had last year.

Can Jemile Weeks handle the UIF spot? He has never played 3B professionally. He played SS last season at Sacramento in 23 games, but the results were not good (a 3.8 range factor and a .946 fielding percentage are both substandard). He does have some experience in CF, but that doesn't seem very important given that Lough and Peguero can play all three outfield positions.

I guess the O's could carry Weeks even if Flaherty wins the starting 2B job, with the thought being that Flaherty would play SS and 3B as needed and Weeks would play 2B when Flaherty was needed elsewhere. Doesn't seem like Buck's preferred way of handling a lineup slot, though.

I think Machado's health will have a lot to do with our bench.

I believe Buck and Duquette really want to keep Almanzar on the roster all season, much like they did with Flaherty and McFarland. If Manny is ready on Opening Day and Almanzar makes the team as the back-up corner infielder, that only leaves one spot for Peguero, Reimold, Pearce and Young (back-up catcher and reserve middle infielder would take the other two spots).

If Almanzar ends up being the starting 3B on Opening Day, then two of the four guys mentioned in that last sentence could make the team.

Reimold starting the year on the D.L. conveniently helps create some space.

With so many good bench options available, there's always the chance that the team carries five extra position players, but that's unlikely in the American League.

I'm not letting the Rule 5 status mean too much. Almanzar is 24. Peguero is 25. Not much difference in age. Peguero can field his position. He can field all three outfield spots and he has speed and a good arm. Alamanzar appears to be defensively challenged. Big plus for Peguero. Peguero in hitting and had a good winter at the plate. Not outstanding but good. Almanzar is here because he hit a AA. We will see how he does.

If the O's can only keep one of them I think Peguero's ability to field and hit gives him an edge.

No way do I see Almanzar as a starting 3B for the O's this year. He can't play defense well enough for that. That is why Alex Gonzalez is getting playing time at 3B. If Manny can't play on opening day I think Alex will be at third.

Re: Schoop, with DD I'd say anything's possible, but Schoop would have to be amazing this spring to start on the 25 man roster. He may make it easier not to re-sign Hardy though.

I think there is a very good chance that Hardy's extension is announced on or before Opening Day. Both sides want it to happen. I don't see it effecting Schoop's ability to make the team. That depends more on Flaherty.

Don't count out Meek or Huntzinger from the bullpen competition yet. They both have histories and have looked sharp.

It is early, but agree. Plus as I keep saying...Stinson isn't a lock, nor should he be. I don't get the love fest with that guy. Small sample size and AAAA fodder to me.

Great thread though-love the discussion.

Weeks should def win IMO as backup.

Pearce versus D Young is tough. D Young looks REALLY good.

Not sure Pegeno has the 4th spot locked up....but looks promising.

Looks to me Reimold will not be making the OD roster.

A lot depends on Flaherty. If Ryan is struggling to hit and Schoop is hitting well that gives Schoop as chance to start the season in the majors. But if Flaherty plays the field the way we know he can and he hits. He is the starting 2B and Schoop goes to AAA to start the season.

What is Flaherty going to do? If Schoop keeps hitting Flaherty is going to have to do better than the 683 OPS he had last year.

'

I mean, yes, I agree that everything is dependent on how the guys do. If Schoop looks like Robbie Cano and Ryan Flaherty looks like someone much worse than Ryan Flaherty, then we certainly should hope Schoop is on the OD roster. But sort of putting them even with last year's performances, I'd say the most logical move is Schoop to play every day in AAA, Flaherty to get the majority of the playing time at the big club, and Weeks to be the UIF/occasional starter against LHP. Didn't know this, but Flash has only started twice against LHP. Only 38 big league PA against them, too. I expect Weeks to get a fair amount of playing time in a platoon-lite. I'd like to see Schoop put up a strong performance at AAA before handing him the job.

It is early, but agree. Plus as I keep saying...Stinson isn't a lock, nor should he be. I don't get the love fest with that guy. Small sample size and AAAA fodder to me.

Great thread though-love the discussion.

Weeks should def win IMO as backup.

Pearce versus D Young is tough. D Young looks REALLY good.

Not sure Pegeno has the 4th spot locked up....but looks promising.

Looks to me Reimold will not be making the OD roster.

I really like Delmon to be a Right-handed DH/bench bat, especially in a scenario where Buck is occasionally playing Cruz in LF vs. LHP. Young's career OPS against lefties isn't worlds better than Pearce's, but he has a fair amount of noise mixed in there. If you go back to his last "good" season, he OPS'd .927 (2010 with Min) against lefties. Obviously we can't discount his other work since then, but if he truly is in shape and motivated, he could be a valuable piece for this lineup.

'

I mean, yes, I agree that everything is dependent on how the guys do. If Schoop looks like Robbie Cano and Ryan Flaherty looks like someone much worse than Ryan Flaherty, then we certainly should hope Schoop is on the OD roster. But sort of putting them even with last year's performances, I'd say the most logical move is Schoop to play every day in AAA, Flaherty to get the majority of the playing time at the big club, and Weeks to be the UIF/occasional starter against LHP. Didn't know this, but Flash has only started twice against LHP. Only 38 big league PA against them, too. I expect Weeks to get a fair amount of playing time in a platoon-lite. I'd like to see Schoop put up a strong performance at AAA before handing him the job.

Schoop looks much stronger than last year. The back problem doesn't seem to be bothering him. That could help his performance a lot.

Agree about Flash vs lefties. He is likely to be platooned if he starts at 2B. De Jesus hits lefties better than Weeks. It will be a battle in Schoop goes to AAA,

'

Same. I think he needs to prove he has mastered the AAA level first. I think how he performs this Spring will determine his timetable for a callup this year. If he continues to make a strong impression, he could be up as soon a May if he mashes down at Norfolk.

Archived