The X-Man

LarryBigbie

What tools? He has no power, no arm, and very poor hitting skills. Oh yeah, he's fast but never been a great basestealer. He's had a good month here in there in the minors but hasn't had a good season in years. I always hoped those good months would be him turning the corner but they never were. I doubt the X-man is ever anything more than a 4th OF.

This.

They must lack some serious OF depth to keep him in the mix for the MLB rooster. :noidea:

What tools? He has no power, no arm, and very poor hitting skills. Oh yeah, he's fast but never been a great basestealer. He's had a good month here in there in the minors but hasn't had a good season in years. I always hoped those good months would be him turning the corner but they never were. I doubt the X-man is ever anything more than a 4th OF.

There is some power there, maybe 10-15 homers a year type power...but not at Safeco. Problem is consistent contact. The arm is average. Speed is 70-80, and he hustles all of the time. He is raw still, no doubt. But the video with the article shows he has some tools.

Maybe he pans out as a #4 OF, good for him. I don't think anyone wrote anything bemoaning his trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is some power there, maybe 10-15 homers a year type power...but not at Safeco. Problem is consistent contact. The arm is average. Speed is 70-80, and he hustles all of the time. He is raw still, no doubt. But the video with the article shows he has some tools.

Maybe he pans out as a #4 OF, good for him. I don't think anyone wrote anything bemoaning his trade.

His arm is among the worst in baseball.

The "X-Man" is no longer an Oriole, and what he's doing in meaningless spring training games is irrelevant to anything related to the Orioles. He was a marginal prospect whose best asset is speed, and whose best case scenario was a fourth OF job at that, and was more likely destined for late inning defensive replacement duty. He's not relevant to the Orioles anymore.

We got Franciso Peguero for nothing. I would bet that Peguero has 1) better hitting ability 2) better power 3) better arm 4) better overall defense 5) comparable speed.

Pretty much true, but speed is not close. Peguero is the better fit for us at the moment, no doubt. Really not sure what this has to do with anything, but...okay. If your point was that he was easily replaced, then yeah, I agree. And we traded X for what amounted to nothing.

I said he was never going to play here. So, what exactly are some of you piling on for? I wished the kid well and said I always liked his tools...some of you don't. Great, can we move on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Avery is probably faster but I think it is close. I believe Peguero was timed at 3.98 this spring out of the box as a RH hitter. That's very fast.

I really like Peguero, and much more than Avery at this point. Avery was always rated between a 70-80 runner in every scouting report I have ever seen though. I read where Peguero had two knee surgeries in 2011, and he had some issues with that since. Perhaps he is just getting healthy, but now the wrist. And 3.98? Where did you see that? That is movin' for a RH.

Archived