Great Markakis article by Brit

wildcard

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'm at the point in my career where a lot of things don't matter to me right now besides winning the World Series with this group of guys and this team right now," said Markakis, who would get a $2 million buyout if the Orioles don't pick up his option at season's end. "Because I don't know what the future holds for me, this could be my last year in an Orioles uniform. And I'd rather win a World Series, bring a World Series to Baltimore and this organization. I don't want to do it anywhere else. This is the team I came up with, this is the team that pretty much raised me. This is my family."

Well. Interesting. Britt does nice work.

"He was fortunate enough to be healthy until the last couple years, when he got his hamate [bone] broke from Sabathia -- which we are still [angry] about. It's a testament. I looked at his numbers, [and] that pushes me to go out there and play every day. "

AJ

Great stuff as always from Brit! Markakis s putting up a solid year would be a huge boost to am already stacked lineup.

Plus, I love hearing how the players are still pi***d about the Sabathia pitch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well, the last two years, he hasn't been able to have a normal offseason due to his injury issues.

Right, folks love making the injury excuse. What about the year's prior? It isn't like Nick's decline started when he got hurt.

I hypothesized years ago that Nick wasn't working as hard as other players during the offseason and I got a lot of blowback about it.

Right, folks love making the injury excuse. What about the year's prior? It isn't like Nick's decline started when he got hurt.

I hypothesized years ago that Nick wasn't working as hard as other players during the offseason and I got a lot of blowback about it.

He never became a superstar, but let's not act like he was bad. OPS+ by year:

106, 121, 136, 108, 120, 106, 126 and then 86 last year.

If Nick's love of Baltimore is to believed, I wonder if he's willing to restructure his contract for an extension.

Obviously there's no way he'll get anywhere close to 17 million next semester (even if he has the best season of his career, IMO). He's 30 and, assuming his injuries are behind him, a four year deal would make sense.

Assuming Nick bounces back and puts up respectable numbers is something like 4/40 or even 4/50 too much?

Obviously he is replaceable, but it's good to see some home-grown guys in the lineup every day and I think it'd be great to try to find a way for Markakis to be an Oriole for a long time.

He never became a superstar, but let's not act like he was bad. OPS+ by year:

106, 121, 136, 108, 120, 106, 126 and then 86 last year.

Did I say he was bad? But when you see a 106-121-136 progression from ages 22-24 you don't expect to see the numbers drop like that when other players are entering their prime.

If Nick has a bounceback year, he'll cash in more on the open market than a lot of people think, assuming that is what he wants to do. The FA class is horrendous, and Gardner signing an extension in NY makes it even worse.

I think Nick still has a decent reputation around the league and if he can put up big numbers he will get a very nice contract.

One does have to wonder if his new-found dedication will carry over.

Did I say he was bad? But when you see a 106-121-136 progression from ages 22-24 you don't expect to see the numbers drop like that when other players are entering their prime.

I think it's a reach, honestly. Not every career arc is identical and there are a ton of possible reasons.

I think it's a reach, honestly. Not every career arc is identical and there are a ton of possible reasons.

How is it a reach?

The focus is on core strength and balance, two key components of an offseason like Markakis has never had before

They are admitting he is working harder this year then before, that means, he could have worked harder in prior years. Right? They are not saying "Nick is healthy and could resume his old off season workouts."

It is a contract year and Nick stepped it up.

Archived