Great Markakis article by Brit

wildcard

Markakis Stronger, Motivated Heading into 2014.

Coming off Worst Season of Career, Right Fielder Dedicated Offseason to Getting Fit

(By Brittany Ghiroli)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bal/orioles-right-fielder-nick-markakis-stronger-motivated-heading-into-2014?ymd=20140303&content_id=68648032&vkey=news_bal

Potential candidate for 2014 American League Comeback Player of the Year ??? :scratchchinhmm:

The Sporting News Comeback Player of the Year (1965-2013)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/awards/comeback_player_of_the_year_award.shtml

M.L.B. Comeback Player of the Year (2005-2013)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year_Award

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF Nick bounces back to his career averages, Andre Ethier would be a pretty good comp. Solid lefty hitter, high OBP with some pop, mediocre defender, averaging about 2 WAR per year. A lot of people thought the Dodgers overpaid, but Ethier got 5 years, $85 million at age 30. I would have a hard time justifying 4/$50, but that's what he will be asking for...IF he bounces back to his career averages.

Interesting. Baseball-Ref compares him to Matt Kemp and Gregg Jefferies. When Nick was younger, the most frequently voiced hope on the OH was that he would be another Paul O'Neill. So it's interesting to note that it is at the age of 30 that O'Neill attained a new level of performance: OPS+'s of 127 - 177 from 1993 to 1998. Of course, other factors played into it such as being a lefty hitter in Yankee Stadium, etc., but I hope Nick can do something similar.

That is setting the bar low IMO. Nick has a .360 career OBP. I'm looking for him to meet that this year.

I'm with you here. I think some here and around Baltimore seriously underrate nicks past performances. I remember roughly 2 years ago when nick started off kind of slow, hearing someone call into the radio (not the best place for high level talk and anecdotal, I know) saying nicks ceiling was a .270 or .275 hitter. I think nick has a year in line with his career averages, maybe a bit better. Something like .290/.360/.465/.825 40 2b and 15 hr. If he can do that, we'll be in a very good place offensively. A potential bounce back from nick and wieters is why I don't put too much stock in those who act as though we maxed out last season with Davis, machado (how anyone knows what he would regress to is beyond me), etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting - suppose Nick has a bounceback year and puts up a 120ish OPS+ in 2014 - would it be a better idea to pick up his option or to decline and then make him a qualifying offer?

Decline and QO would mean a slightly lower total value if he took the QO.

Decline and QO would mean a slightly lower total value if he took the QO.

Not clear, given the salary inflation that has taken place in 2014. The price of the QO will go up, it's just a matter of exactly how much.

Because you are grasping for straws. I am willing to concede that Markakis switched training regimens and put in more work this off-season than the past two when he was injured.

At best, you haven't read closely. At worst, you're being intentionally obstinate.

The story says that Nick has had "an offseason like [he] has never had before, one that had him pounding the pavement of his driveway with teammate Ryan Flaherty for workouts just two weeks after the Orioles' season had ended and weighing in 16 pounds heavier this spring." That statement should be self-explanatory for you. Nick has never had an offseason like this. At the very least, you should be capable of acknowledging that he started training earlier than usual. The fact that he came into camp "16 pounds heavier" only speaks to the difference between this season and last season, but everything else plainly says that Nick has worked out harder this winter than in winter's past.

Markakis also mentioned that he has never felt this strong. Did he employ a moron's workout in the past? Are you saying that he must have lifted weights for hours on end, but stupidly, and without any idea of what he was trying to accomplish by doing so? Or is the plain implication that Nick employed a workout regimen that has made him stronger than he has ever felt previously...i.e., he's put more work in this winter than in year's past? And please pay attention to the use of the word "never." We're not just talking about winter's spent recovering from injuries. We're talking about all years. And that's straight from the story.

Perhaps CoC is "reaching" by interpreting simple English in such a way as to suggest that Nick hasn't been much of a workout hound in the past. But you're ignoring English altogether by dismissing his suggestions as you have.

Over 700 players have had the most exceptional offseason workout regimen in world history. I defy anybody to find an opposing article viewpoint. :rofl:
The Seattle Times examines "the forgotten prospect," and his yearlong fall from grace: Losing the starting job, being sent down, getting injured, serving a 50-game suspension for his role in the Biogenesis PED scandal. Now Montero has reported to spring training 40 pounds heavier than his target weight—a number, incidentally, he's never been under in his Mariners career. Said Montero:

"After winter ball, all I did was eat."

http://deadspin.com/fat-jesus-montero-on-his-offseason-all-i-did-was-eat-1528075875

Just to through my .02$ here. I agree with Can of Corn in that it does bother me he put so much more effort in his contract year. To his credit he admits it though. If that is the case we should just Ortiz him till he retires :).

Just to through my .02$ here. I agree with Can of Corn in that it does bother me he put so much more effort in his contract year. To his credit he admits it though. If that is the case we should just Ortiz him till he retires :).

It doesn't bother me that he put so much effort into this year, he has a lot at stake. I am upset at the idea that he coasted in offseason's past.

It doesn't bother me that he put so much effort into this year, he has a lot at stake. I am upset at the idea that he coasted in offseason's past.

Yep. And, for those inclined to test drive a tinfoil hat, it doesn't help that Markakis' OPS went from .799 to .848 to .897 (2006-2008) during his first three years. He signed his big contract in January 2009. His OPS numbers since? .801, .805, .756, .834, and .685.

So...his two best seasons were the two seasons that immediately preceded his big payday. Maybe Nick deserves a pass for the injury-riddled (or recovery) seasons, but the ones that bother me are the ones that saw him lose almost 100 points off his OPS right after getting a huge extension from the Orioles.

Good writing by Britt, but it's nothing more than a standard spring training fluff piece about a veteran who is looking to bounce back after the worst year of his career. Everyone's read this before.

Not to say Nick didn't work hard or whatever, he's been my favorite Oriole for awhile now and I hope he has a great season. But I don't know what's more tiresome, these types of articles or the posters who assume that he spends more time in a deer stand than working out in offseasons past. It's a lazy, stupid, BS argument..it's not even an argument, it's just a hypothetical based on little evidence...and even if Nick DID spend time in a deer stand in the offseasons prior, it doesn't mean that he didn't work out. One does not exclude the other, except in the mind of OH posters who know better than anyone else.

Good writing by Britt, but it's nothing more than a standard spring training fluff piece about a veteran who is looking to bounce back after the worst year of his career. Everyone's read this before.

Not to say Nick didn't work hard or whatever, he's been my favorite Oriole for awhile now and I hope he has a great season. But I don't know what's more tiresome, these types of articles or the posters who assume that he spends more time in a deer stand than working out in offseasons past. It's a lazy, stupid, BS argument..it's not even an argument, it's just a hypothetical based on little evidence...and even if Nick DID spend time in a deer stand in the offseasons prior, it doesn't mean that he didn't work out. One does not exclude the other, except in the mind of OH posters who know better than anyone else.

The argument is that he could have done more...because he said he's done more this winter.

And, IMO, yours is a pretty lazy rejoinder.

The argument is that he could have done more...because he said he's done more this winter.

And, IMO, yours is a pretty lazy rejoinder.

Did you see some of the old arguments Moose is talking about?

Whew boy some days it really felt like I was out there by myself on that limb.

I will give the other side credit, I never get neg rep for my pet theories.

Archived