And so it begins - Ubaldo

wildcard

Ubaldo Jimenez gets my vote for the biggest question for the O's this year. He has his first start for the O's today versus the Phillies. Maybe 2 innings. His impact on the O's will be big.

Here is your scouting report:

Assets - Owns a devastating combination of a great fastball, quality sinker and occasional splitter. His change-up also helps him rack up impressive strikeout and innings totals. Can be dominant on the mound.

Flaws - Has been known to struggle with his mechanics and his command, which leads to big innings and high pitch counts against him. Could stand to throw more first-pitch strikes.

Career potential - Quality starter.

If Ubaldo pitches the way he did in the 2nd half of last year or even as he did all of last year the O's are a playoff team. 13-9, 3.30 ERA in 182.2 IP. That's the upside. He is a TOR starter.

If we get the other Ubaldo. The mechanically troubled Ubaldo then he is a 5th starter. 2012 numbers - 9-17, 5.40 ERA. AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa.

From what I hear, the Ubaldo of 2010 doesn't exist any more. The 19-8, 2.88 ERA in the thin air of Colorado, with the blazing 97 mph fastball is no more. The current Ubaldo is more at 93 mph from what I hear.

So don't expect Ubaldo to go consistently deep in games. 2013 innings per game - 5.7. 2012 innings per game - 5.7. At times Ublado will probably remind us of Arrieta. Too many pitches per inning.

So cross your fingers and hold on tight. Today starts an adventure to see if Dave Wallace can help Ubaldo stay in sync. It will no doubt be bumpy at times but with a lot of luck it ends up with the O's in the playoffs.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No question the O's need Jimenez to perform well. A good Jimenez solidifies the rotation and keeps everyone in their proper spot. A bad Jimenez puts huge pressure on everyone to, perhaps, do more than they can.

A lot is counting on Ubaldo and Tillman. They're our makeshift aces and I don't really believe a team absolutely needs a shut down ace ala Price or Hernandez, I think quality starters throughout a rotation can be just as effective. If we have a double tandem at the top with a couple 3.60 ERA and 200 innings with the guys closer to a 4.00 ERA rounding it out then it will do wonders for this team. It starts with Ubaldo and Tillman though. Other guys can be black holes in the rotation and be readily replaced, but not at the top.

No pressure or anything Ubaldo...

So don't expect Ubaldo to go consistently deep in games. 2013 innings per game - 5.7. 2012 innings per game - 5.7. At times Ublado will probably remind us of Arrieta. Too many pitches per inning.

Yeah, but Arrieta on his bad days was just absolutely awful, and there were too many of those days. Ubaldo doesn't go real deep in games, but he'll give us a good game more often than not.

A lot is counting on Ubaldo and Tillman. They're our makeshift aces and I don't really believe a team absolutely needs a shut down ace ala Price or Hernandez, I think quality starters throughout a rotation can be just as effective. If we have a double tandem at the top with a couple 3.60 ERA and 200 innings with the guys closer to a 4.00 ERA rounding it out then it will do wonders for this team. It starts with Ubaldo and Tillman though. Other guys can be black holes in the rotation and be readily replaced, but not at the top.

No pressure or anything Ubaldo...

I agree with you on this in terms of the regular season. But in a playoff series, I think having a shut-down ace can make all the difference. One of these guys could become that for us... who knows?

Ubaldo Jimenez gets my vote for the biggest question for the O's this year. He has his first start for the O's today versus the Phillies. Maybe 2 innings. His impact on the O's will be big.

Here is your scouting report:

Assets - Owns a devastating combination of a great fastball, quality sinker and occasional splitter. His change-up also helps him rack up impressive strikeout and innings totals. Can be dominant on the mound.

Flaws - Has been known to struggle with his mechanics and his command, which leads to big innings and high pitch counts against him. Could stand to throw more first-pitch strikes.

Career potential - Quality starter.

If Ubaldo pitches the way he did in the 2nd half of last year or even as he did all of last year the O's are a playoff team. 13-9, 3.30 ERA in 182.2 IP. That's the upside. He is a TOR starter.

If we get the other Ubaldo. The mechanically troubled Ubaldo then he is a 5th starter. 2012 numbers - 9-17, 5.40 ERA. AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa.

From what I hear, the Ubaldo of 2010 doesn't exist any more. The 19-8, 2.88 ERA in the thin air of Colorado, with the blazing 97 mph fastball is no more. The current Ubaldo is more at 93 mph from what I hear.

So cross your fingers and hold on tight. Today starts an adventure to see if Dave Wallace can help Ubaldo stay in sync. It will no doubt be bumpy at times but with a lot of luck it ends up with the O's in the playoffs.

I am not going to worry about him. He is probably the best pitcher DD could have

gotten to sign with the O's. IMO

The opposing pitcher today also happens to be A.J. Burnett.

And Arroyo is hurt.

I still don't get the love for AJ. He passed by now 3 times (before this, 2). What made people think he would come here? I hope we light him up.

I am not going to worry about him. He is probably the best pitcher DD could have gotten to sign with the O's. IMO.
The opposing pitcher today also happens to be A.J. Burnett.
And Arroyo is hurt.

I still don't get the love for AJ. He passed by now 3 times (before this, 2). What made people think he would come here? I hope we light him up.

More significantly than whatever happens today, I hope that all of the other National League teams light him up once the regular season starts.

Archived