Ryan Flaherty - Losing his lock on 2B?

NCRaven

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on Machado, you could easily see 3B- Flaherty and 2B- Weeks on OD, with Flaherty moving to 2B most of the time when Machado is ready.

Early flexibility is necessary since there will be a temporary hole at third.

I never got the whole Flaherty love fest here, he is a marginal utility infielder at best. The only thing that makes him interesting is his pop...but it is not enough pop to make the .220 average attractive. I like Schoop a lot, and would rather see him hit .220 than Weeks or Flaherty.

Did he ever really have a lock on 2b? Or was it just due to lack of better options?

I think Jones has a lock on CF. Hardy has a lock on SS. Wieters has a lock on Catcher. Machado has a lock on 3rd.

In comparison, did Flaherty have a lock on 2B?

By playing all these positions I think Flash is setting his lock on a 25 man roster position.

In comparison, no. However, I think it's pretty safe to say he was the clear favorite for 2B coming into camp and probably still is. Buck knows what Flaherty can do defensively at 2B. He's getting a chance to look at Weeks over there.

Agreed. However I don't think it'll take much to unseat him if he doesn't produce.

He wasn't overly aggressive today. He took a lot of low breaking pitches that he swings at sometimes. He worked the count and then he hit the ball where it was pitched. Even though his second hit wasn't much more than a lazy fly ball, his approach was very good yesterday. Flaherty was wound up so tight last April that he looked like the worst hitter ever. If this guy can be relaxed and confident enough to have the approach he had yesterday, he can be a very dangerous hitter. I think and hope it's just a matter of confidence, experience, and being able to relax up there.

Is what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Even that HR he was a little in his kitchen. Up and away but still a little behind the pitch. but he still drove it to center. Up and away but Ryan was fooled a bit. Showed me a lot.

I just read in, another blog, that that he got a hold of a hanging fast ball, and more of a ST mistake, than what you would see in regular season.

Don't read that blog. He crushed a pitch. Just like Nick did 4 times.

Why are we still debating this?

Flaherty will be our starting 2B. Weeks will be our UTIL / PR. Schoop will be playing everyday at AAA.

Lets not rush Schoop up here. I think Buck really wants him to prove himself at the AAA level and I am sure he will tear it up down there and the FO will deal with this when the time is right.

Having Flaherty start the season at 2B is not going to hurt this team / season at all. We all know what production we got out of this position last year so lets not go :drek: .

What this spring training competition shows me is that the 2B question mark is not whether we have a solution, but which potential solution to choose. Over the course of 162 games, we might not get a ton of offense out of the position, but I think there is no longer a reason to worry that it will be a black hole in the lineup.

btw... Brian Roberts slash line as of this morning = .167/.333/.167.

Archived